Release Issued by Nikon:
A camera which further refines the award winning image quality, high performance and user friendliness of the D70.
Read our news story: Nikon reveals D70s and D50 DSLRs
D70s body: £699.99 / €1045.00
D70s kit with 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX: £899.99 / €1343.00
Wednesday April 20, 2005
The D70s employs the Nikon DX Format sensor and Nikon F lens mount design shared by all Nikon SLR cameras for compatibility with AF Nikkor lenses, as well as the expanding range of high quality DX Nikkor lenses.
The D70s is ready to shoot in an instant, taking just 0.2 seconds to power up. Shutter release time lag is minimised for quick response which makes shooting even more efficient and enjoyable. The D70s is capable of shooting a rapid 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of 144 pictures*.
(*When using JPEG NORMAL - Large setting, and a SanDisk SDCFH (Ultra II), SDCFX (Extreme/Extreme III), or Lexar Media 80X WA CompactFlash™ card).
Shutter speeds of 30 to 1/8,000 sec. ensure full creative control. The built-in auto pop-up flash can synchronize at shutter speeds of up to 1/500 sec. for great fill flash effects. The cameras new design also increases flash coverage to support lenses as wide as 18mm. Sensitivity can be set between ISO 200 to 1600 or controlled automatically (AUTO ISO) across the same range of settings to maximise the available light.
The cameras 5-area autofocus system continues to feature a cross-type sensor in the center, broad frame coverage, and class-leading low light detection which is improved to deliver greater precision with fast, more consistent subject acquisition and improved focus tracking. The D70s also has an AF-assist illuminator to help maximise performance when shooting in low lighting conditions.
The D70s' advanced System LSI processor produces vivid colours and clarity, whilst maximizing the speed of file compression, memory buffer handling, simultaneous recording of JPEG and NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) files, and near-instant LCD image display.
The 6.1 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor features a wide dynamic range and a high signal to noise ratio which produces 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images with high resolution and sharp detail suitable for making large prints or cropping for creative detail.
Nikon's 3D Colour Matrix Metering with 1,005-pixel sensor delivers consistently accurate exposure automatically by measuring brightness, colour, contrast, selected focus area, and subject-to-camera distance information for each shot. It then references the results against an onboard database of 30,000 scenes from actual photography. Variable center-weighted metering and a choice of five spot meters are available, as are exposure compensation, and auto exposure bracketing.
The D70s produces natural colouration by matching white balance to the light source of the shot. Advanced Auto white balance is capable of handling most situations, although the flexible options include white balance bracketing, a choice of six specific manual settings with fine-tuning, as well as a preset option for using a gray or white object as a reference for white balance.
Innovative shooting options simplify the photographic process, whether controlled manually or via advanced automatic operation. Of particular note are the seven automated Digital Vari-Program selections accessed from the mode dial for a combination of personal control and powerful automatic operation that helps achieve great results under complex shooting conditions, even when under time pressure.
The new high-energy rechargeable lithium-ion battery EN-EL3a delivers the power to shoot up to 2,500 images* on a single charge. The D70s can also be powered by the EN-EL3 battery used by the Nikon D100 and D70, or by CR2 batteries when using the optional battery holder (MS-D70).
The controls are positioned for easier access and smoother operation. Newly designed menus are presented clearly and in plain language on the large 2.0-inch LCD monitor, while intuitive help dialogs are available for on-the-spot reference.
Remote control options are also expanded for the D70s, with the new optional Remote Cord (MC-DC1) which adds greater convenience and ease of use in a wide variety of shooting situations, including long exposures and close-ups. Cable-free operation is also available with the optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3. A third option involves Nikon Capture 4 (Ver. 4.2) software, which can be used to control the D70s from a computer via the USB connection.
Diverse playback options, versatile custom settings, a USB interface for easy connectivity or direct printing to any PictBridge compatible printer, and an extensive range of other features should make the D70s a popular choice.
Note: specifications, design, product name and standard accessories may differ by country or area.
Major Features of the Nikon D70s
Speed and precision
• Continuous shooting at 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of up to 144 pictures* thanks to improved buffer memory handling, faster image processing, increased memory card access speed and greater system bus bandwidth.
(When using JPEG NORMAL - Large setting, and a SanDisk SDCFH (Ultra II),
SDCFX (Extreme/Extreme III), or Lexar Media 80X WA CompactFlash™ card).
• Immediate 0.2-second power-up has the D70s ready to take pictures before your finger can reach the shutter button.
• Short shutter time lag is hardly noticeable.
• Improved 5-area AF system with predictive focus tracking and Lock-on™ delivers greater precision with fast, more consistent subject acquisition and improved focus tracking to ensure quick response and sharp focus, while an AF-assist illuminator helps ensure top performance in dark situations.
• Fast shutter speed with a range from 30 to 1/8,000 sec. for full creative control.
• Fast flash sync shutter speeds up to 1/500 sec. available for great fill-effects under brighter light and difficult back-lighted conditions.
• Fast recording that supports CompactFlash™ cards and MicroDrive™ media of up to 4GB capacity.
Vivid colour and sharp details
• 6.1 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor produces 3,000 x 2,000-pixel images with high resolution and superbly sharp details.
• High-performance digital image processor uses advanced algorithms to handle all steps of digital image processing to produce images that are ready to print straight from the camera. Image quality is optimise d, including auto white balance, auto tone and colour control, while real-time processes that diminish digital noise produce beautiful long exposure shots.
• 3D Colour Matrix Metering assures consistently accurate exposure. User control over exposure includes selections for variable center-weighted metering and a choice of five spot meters, as well as exposure compensation, auto exposure bracketing, and flash exposure compensation.
• Auto TTL white balance for natural colouration, plus a choice of six different manual white balance settings, (Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, and Shade), or user-defined preset white balance. White balance bracketing is also available.
Accurate control and predictable results
• Seven Digital Vari-Program selections easily accessible from the mode dial deliver automatic operation that optimise s white balance, sharpening, tone (contrast), colour, saturation and hue for crisp and vivid results that match the intended shot. Selections include Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Landscape, and Night Portrait.
• Image enhancement options optimise sharpening, tone (contrast), colour, saturation and hue while using Auto Multi Program [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A], or [Manual M] exposure modes to best match the scene or intended use for the picture. The easy to set choices include Normal, Vivid, Sharper, Softer, Direct print, Portrait, Landscape or Custom optimization.
• Flexible sensitivity control from ISO 200 to 1600 to match most any lighting condition; can be set manually or be controlled automatically by the D70s.
• Optimise d exposure with a choice of three TTL exposure modes, including Nikon's acclaimed 3D Colour Matrix Metering with 1,005-pixel RGB Sensor, variable Center-Weighted Meter and choice of Spot Meters.
• Auto exposure bracketing helps achieve the exact results desired.
• Flash exposure compensation.
• Nikon's Colour Reproduction System offers a choice of three colour modes to ensure the best match for the shot when operating the camera manually.
Mode Ia: Renders natural-looking skin tones out of the camera. (sRGB)
Mode II: Realizes a wider colour range suited for processing or retouching. (Adobe RGB)
Mode IIIa: Renders vivid landscape and flora colours out of the camera. (sRGB)
• Simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG data for the same shot helps optimise and accelerate workflow.
Intuitive handling and familiar operation
• Light and compact:
Dimensions (W x H x D): 140 x 111 x 78 mm/5.5 x 4.4 x 3.1 in).
Weight; Approx. 600g (1 lb 5 oz) without battery.
• Intuitive and familiar operation with ergonomically designed and sensibly located buttons and controls, including the handy multi selector and mode dial.
• Main and Sub command dials for easy control over settings and smooth single-handed operation.
• Quality optical viewfinder features diopter correction, complete info display, and on-demand grid lines that aid in composition.
• Depth of Field preview button aids composition accuracy.
• New large 2.0-inch LCD monitor located directly below the viewfinder displays the large fonts of the new easy-to-view easy-to-understand menu design, and the dialogs of the intuitive new help system. A protective clear LCD cover is also included.
• Versatile LCD playback options include Single frame, Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments), Zoom playback (up to 4.7x, image size at large setting), Slide show, Histogram indication, and Highlight point displays, with automatic image rotation for vertical shots.
• LCD control panel on camera top for easy confirmation of settings and camera status.
• Delivering the power to shoot up to 2,500 images† on a single charge, the new
rechargeable lithium-ion battery EN-EL3a combines light weight with higher energy capacity.
• For added flexibility, the D70s can accommodate an optional battery holder (MS-D70) that allows it to be powered by three CR2 batteries.
• 25 Custom Settings allow you to personalize the operation of your D70s to match your shooting style or the demands of different shooting conditions.
• Wireless remote control operation made available with optional ML-L3 remote control. A choice of cable (MC-DC1) or wireless (ML-L3) remote control options provides necessary camera stability when using long exposures, or for macro photography.
Advanced and easy image handling
• The addition of in-camera page setup support makes it easier to print directly from the D70s to any PictBridge compatible printer via the supplied USB cable.
• Text input of to 36 alphanumeric characters can be entered in each image's EXIF header for identification.
• Video connector and supplied video cable makes it easy to connect the D70s directly to a television for playing slideshows or viewing individual images
Creative and versatile system components
• High-Quality Nikkor lenses: The unrivalled performance of AF, AF-S and DX Nikkor lenses expand creative possibilities to the maximum. Ranging from a 180° 10.5 mm f2.8 Fisheye through 600 mm Telephoto, this exclusive lineup of Zoom-Nikkor and fixed focal length lenses maximise the high performance of the D70s.
• Built-in auto pop-up flash features exclusive i-TTL flash control, fast 1/500 sec. flash sync shutter speed, and supports Nikon's Creative Lighting System for wireless control of remote SB-600 and SB-800 Speedlights.
• ISO flash shoe makes it easy to attach an SB-600 or SB-800 Speedlight directly to the camera.
• Integrated Nikon Software Solutions:
Nikon Capture 4 (Ver. 4.2) with Capture Control is an optional software that provides a comprehensive image processing and remote camera control package that supports all Nikon NEF†† (RAW), TIFF and JPEG data. Among other features, the package offers Image Dust Off sensor dust and particle shade removal control, and D-Lighting for adjusting shadows and highlights while maintaining mid-tones for optimise d results.
PictureProject is Nikon's versatile software that extends the enjoyment of photography into your computer. Simplified image transfer helps move images easily from camera to computer, where PictureProject's intuitive interface lets photographers effectively organize and edit, apply selected effects, design album page layouts, or share their images. Adding to the fun, a complimentary copy is included with the purchase of any Nikon digital camera. The combination of direct printing with Pictbridge technology and in-computer PictureProject technology empowers users with great picture performance. Optional Plug-in software can be added to PictureProject for added creativity. Plug-in software that will prove useful to any photographer includes nik Colour Efex Pro filters and Muvee –software that enables you to prepare very creative slide show presentations with special effects, music added and more.
†2,500 images per charge achieved under following test conditions:
Fully charged EN-EL3a battery; temperature of 20°C (68°F); Zoom-Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G SG IF ED lens; continuous shooting mode; continuous-servo autofocus; image quality set to JPEG BASIC; image size set to Medium; shutter speed 1/250 sec.; shutter release pressed halfway for three seconds and focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times with each shot; monitor turned on for five seconds after six shots and then turned off; cycle repeated once exposure meters have turned off.
††NEF images taken with the D70s require Nikon Capture 4 (Ver. 4.2) or later.