Fujifilm WCL-X100 adds extra versatility to the award-winning Fujifilm X100
15 May 2012
- Fujifilm are proud to announce the launch of the WCL-X100, a wide conversion lens designed specifically for the award-winning Fujifilm X100. The lens attaches directly on to the camera and increases picture taking versatility by multiplying the fixed focal length by 0.8x, converting it from 23mm (35mm in 35mm equivalent) fixed focal length to a 19mm wide angle (28mm in 35mm equivalent)
Superb optical quality maximises versatility
The WCL-X100 has been engineered to ensure the Fujifilm X100's supreme optical quality remains intact. Created by the same experts who designed the X100's lens, the WCL-X100 delivers comparable image quality even at the f/2 wide aperture setting, retaining all the original optical characteristics, including the attractive bokeh effect.
This optical excellence is underlined by the fact that the WCL-X100 is manufactured in Japan, allowing Fujifilm engineers to guarantee precision and quality in every component. The optical construction uses four premium glass elements in three groups to keep aberrations to a minimum and also employs Fujinon's unique Super EBC coating for outstanding results.
Image processing optimises picture quality
Achieving the very best results from the WCL-X100 is simple; just select the ‘Wide Conversion Lens' option in the Fujifilm X100's shooting menu. To enable this extra functionality, the camera must be updated to Firmware version 1.3.0 or later, which also allows the option to be selected via the Function (Fn) or RAW buttons. The Fujifilm X100 has the option to apply image processing to shots taken using the WCL-X100 to reduce image distortion, ensure balanced illumination across the frame and reduce chromatic aberration, commonly found in wide conversion lenses.
In practice, the WCL-X100 maintains the functionality of the Fujifilm X100. The autofocussing speed remains the same, the 10cm macro distance still applies and it is also compatible with the Fujifilm X100's hybrid viewfinder. With the optical viewfinder (OVF) selected, icons showing the edge of the frame are displayed instead of the frame rim (equivalent to 80% of the frame field of view), while selecting the electronic viewfinder (EVF) gives users a 100% field of view.
The perfect match for the Fujifilm X100
The design of the WCL-X100 has been carefully considered to ensure a seamless blend with the camera. It uses the same materials, textures and colours as the existing X100, plus the optional LH-X100 lens hood and PRF-49S protective filter can be used on the conversion lens. Furthermore, the clip-on lens cap for the WCL-X100 can be attached with both the lens hood and filter in place.
WCL-X100 key features
• 0.8x magnification factor to convert X100 lens to 28mm wide angle (35mm equivalent)
• All glass optical construction using four elements in three groups
• Fujinon Super EBC coating
• Made in Japan for optimum quality
• Available in black and silver
For information about Fujifilm please visit: www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/