Release Issued by Fujitsu:
160GB Mobile Hard Disk Drive Meets Demands for Advanced Notebook and Consumer Electronics ApplicationsHayes, UK, 22 August 2005
- Fujitsu Limited, one of the world's leading suppliers of hard disk drives and computer peripherals, today announced the MHV2160BT, a 160GB 2.5" Serial ATA (SATA) hard disk drive, as part of a coordinated global launch. Fujitsu developed the MHV2160BT to address growing demands for mobile hard disk drives with the speed and capacity required for high-end audio/video computing in applications such as gaming, video editing, audio recording, DVR and storage, along with a wide array of related applications. The new SATA hard disk drive is expected to ship by the end of this year.
Following more than four years of SATA development on the reduced 2.5" platform, the latest Fujitsu mobile hard disk drive offers low power consumption, increased capacity, high shock tolerance, and quiet operation. With this announcement Fujitsu has taken a giant step toward closing the performance and capacity disparities that exist between desktop PC and notebook hard disk drives to accommodate users that are increasingly migrating from aging desktop systems to newer high-performance notebook computers. It also features a hardware accelerator that maximises Native Command Queuing (NCQ) performance, an important feature that enables the hard disk drive controller to intelligently and simultaneously queue and reorder up to 32 instructions, resulting in a significant improvement in overall hard disk drive performance.
"In the past five years the computing industry has seen a steady and dramatic transition from desktop PCs to notebook computers," said Joel Hagberg, vice president of marketing and business development, Fujitsu Computer Products. "The hard disk drive industry has keyed off this trend by developing new and innovative drives that rival the speed, capacity, performance and reliability of their larger counterparts. The MHV2160BT offers a remarkable 160GB of storage while utilising next generation SATA technology, squarely positioning it as the best in class high-capacity mobile hard disk drive on the market."
Fujitsu has established itself as the leader in the 2.5" SATA hard disk drive space, delivering the industry's first 2.5" SATA hard disk drive in January 2004. Since that time Fujitsu has continued to deliver hard disk drives with increased capacity for improved performance while partnering with pioneering companies to bring next-generation SATA solutions to market.
Hard Disk Drive Specifications:
Continuing industry advancement of the 2.5" SATA market, Fujitsu designed the MHV2160BT hard disk drive to provide market-leading specifications that are vital for today's mobile computing applications:
- Capacity: 160GB
- Rotational Speed: 4200 RPM
- Interface: SATA II Extensions to Serial ATA 1.0a and Electrical Spec. 1.0, ATA-7
- Native Command Queuing
- DIPM and HIPM Fully Supported
- Staggered Spin Up & Active LED Supported
- Hot Plug
- Best in Class Read / Write Power Consumption: 1.6W typ.
- Idle Power Consumption: 0.5W typ. (Slumber mode)
- Track to Track Seek Time: 1.5ms typ.
- Host Transfer rate: 150MB/s max.
In addition, the Fujitsu MHV2160BT hard disk drive is RoHS compliant. RoHS is the European Union's directive for eliminating certain hazardous materials in the manufacturing of electrical and electronic equipment.
It will be available through original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and distributors in 4CQ05.