Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 03-11-06
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Whats your opinion?

Just been working on this image and wondered what you thought about the person walking across the scene. Would it be better without the figure?

Check out my BLOG too

Old 03-11-06
Forum veteran

Archangel is on a distinguished road
Re: Whats your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Just been working on this image and wondered what you thought about the person walking across the scene. Would it be better without the figure?

Hi Stephen,

The photo is definately better with the person walking.
Though, the person is a little far, thus making the scene still look slightly ordinary.
Personally, I would prefer that person to walk on the side of the metal fence and somewhat closer to the camera, but that is something that is just pure lack.

What I would do for the same scene is: to zoom a little more towards the person so I would get the picture without so much empty pathway in front of me and with the pedestrian slightly bigger in my frame.

Or, I would stand as fas as I could backwards, zoom to the max towards the pedestrian and get a motion picture of the pedestrian with the background blurred and the sided of the pictures in focus.

But sometimes. what we would like to do, with what is possible to be done at a given moment are too far away from each other, thus meaning apart of my personal opinion of taking this photo, maybe I wouldn't be able to do the things I already suggested.

Regards

George
Old 03-11-06
Forum veteran

bigbob is on a distinguished road

Don't quiet work for me Stephen , it does give scale but in a quiet picture her movement looks out of place , a standing figure or one leaning against the lampost would work better , but as that option is'nt available i'd clone her out .

B..
Old 03-11-06
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Hi Stephen,

The photo is definately better with the person walking.
Though, the person is a little far, thus making the scene still look slightly ordinary.
Personally, I would prefer that person to walk on the side of the metal fence and somewhat closer to the camera, but that is something that is just pure lack.

What I would do for the same scene is: to zoom a little more towards the person so I would get the picture without so much empty pathway in front of me and with the pedestrian slightly bigger in my frame.

Or, I would stand as fas as I could backwards, zoom to the max towards the pedestrian and get a motion picture of the pedestrian with the background blurred and the sided of the pictures in focus.

But sometimes. what we would like to do, with what is possible to be done at a given moment are too far away from each other, thus meaning apart of my personal opinion of taking this photo, maybe I wouldn't be able to do the things I already suggested.

Regards

George
Hi George and thanks for your comments and thoughts. The thing is that you and I are viewing the image from a different point of view

Your suggestions would no doubt make the person more prominent whilst at the same time eliminate much of the very important cobbled street, wall and railing.

The picture is not about the person, they are simply 'window dressing' something just to capture the eye. The picture is more about the street and the atmosphere I have attempted to create. It is part of an old Mill town in the north of England, there is still atmosphere there and feelings of what it must have been like to have lived and worked there. The old railings, cobbled street, the lampost and a glimpse of the old mill chimney all help create an atmosphere, which I have enhanced somewhat in the processing.

I could have shown a pic without the person, but wondered if it helped them being there. I think I agree with you though that they should be.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 03-11-06
lumix

That picture draws my eye to the centre. If the figure was not there as a stopping place I would be looking at out of focus trees. What ever the figure is doing is not important, just being there is. Like it, nice image.
Old 03-11-06
Forum veteran

DTD is on a distinguished road

I think it's better with. Might look nicer if the figure were blurred more.
Old 03-11-06
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
Don't quiet work for me Stephen , it does give scale but in a quiet picture her movement looks out of place , a standing figure or one leaning against the lampost would work better , but as that option is'nt available i'd clone her out .

B..
What about this version then

Check out my BLOG too

Old 03-11-06
Forum veteran

I really don't know , it's better but it still don't work for me , hard to say exactly but it looks odd .
Very difficult to put my finger on why , if you had'nt had asked for opinions , suggesting you're proberbly not happy either then i would have just said it was a nice urban scene .

B..
Old 03-11-06
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
I really don't know , it's better but it still don't work for me , hard to say exactly but it looks odd .
Very difficult to put my finger on why , if you had'nt had asked for opinions , suggesting you're proberbly not happy either then i would have just said it was a nice urban scene .

B..
Well as you may have read in my response to Archangel, there was more to than just a 'nice scene'

TBH I'm teasing a bit cos in the original frame there was no figure at all I cloned these figures from other similar shots because I liked to composition of this the best. On balance I feel the addition of a figure adds to the scene, but just wanted opinions on it. Thanks for looking anyway

Check out my BLOG too

Old 04-11-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

Hi Stephen,
it looks too late to express my opinion, to my regret.
The first one works for me but the second one not.
Human beings are so strong and assertive subject in a picture so unless it is taken as a portrait picture from the very beginning intentionally, IMHO, we need to be careful about including persons. We can see the face of the second figure in a conceivable size and that gives us some influences when we look at this picuture. As this picture is urban landscape in my understanding, including an assertive/influential figure does not work for me.

The first one is ok as it is not that assertive. The clothes colour also matches with the pic and it also adds a good sense of movement in this still picutre. A small dog might also work.
yoshi
Old 04-11-06
Forum veteran

The figure does look cloned , but i did'nt want to say it

B..
Old 04-11-06
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

The first one is ok, the one with the woman. It might be better if she was slightly further along to the right so the chimney is slightly further away from her head.

The second one, with the fella, would be better if he were wearing a flat cap.

Pol
Old 04-11-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The pic gives the impression of a mild autumn day.
The first figure seemed to have her head tucked down into a scarf and appeared to be hurrying indicating a cold day or even a cold wind blowing towards her.
This chap seems to have dressed for a cold day which has turned mild.
If you really must have a figure in the shot then this is the one.

Oh yes the pic...the shop on the corner looks a bit to modern for the railings, cobblestones and chimney stack. Doesn't quite gel to give off the old Yorkshire/Lancashire town effect
Old 04-11-06
Forum veteran

Tom is on a distinguished road

Hello Stephen
If I could choose a human element in what is a pretty ordinary scene I would go for children in this case. Dont ask me why though. But I can imagine a youngster playing on the railings perhaps or somewhere nearer the foreground.
But the adults in the back dont do it for me at all I'm afraid.
Old 05-11-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hi Stephen,

I personally prefer the second shot.

The approaching person, almost seems to have an element of foreboading.