Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > DPNow Salon Competition

DPNow Salon Competition
A fortnightly themed photo competition run by DPNow forum users for forum users. A curator chooses the theme and picks the winner and then becomes the new curator. It could be you!

Old 16-10-06
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

I think Stephen was one of the early ones, but the sun exhibit has become a bit of a photo cliché since.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 18-10-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
spl is on a distinguished road

Here's a cool one - cool as in cold that is

Old 18-10-06
Admin

Winter snow scenes shots usually have bluey shadows. I often have difficulty in deciding whether or not to make them neutral.

Ian
Old 19-10-06
Forum veteran

spl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Winter snow scenes shots usually have bluey shadows. I often have difficulty in deciding whether or not to make them neutral.

Ian
yes i can see that but i think i prefer them blue it adds to the feeling of cold - I checked and they were blue in the original picture as well before I darkened highlights.
cheers
spl
Old 19-10-06
Forum veteran

Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2) - LAST CALL FOR ENTRIES!

There's just under an hour remaining of this second Salon Competition, so if there are any of you holding onto suitable images, now is the time to post them. Don't be shy

I'll look through the submissions tonight and post the winner and notable runners up no later than tomorrow morning. The winner will then need to either start a new thread (including a copy/paste of the rules) and a new contest, or nominate someone to do so.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far.
Old 20-10-06
Forum veteran

Bearface is on a distinguished road
And The Winner Is...

...wait for it, wait for it...

Okay, firstly thanks to:

Spl, CoupeKid, Andrew Thatcher, JonMikal, Ian, Archangel, Jds9000, Pops, Mowgli, Pol, Stephen, JoLeady, Autumn and Peter for their interesting interpretations of the theme "Shooting into the Sun".

Having looked through the entries as closely as web-resolution photos would allow, I decided that the winning image would simply be the one which came closest to "hitting the spot" for me. Given the range of ablity in terms of the entrants, I didn't think it would be fair to take a critical, objective approach, so I didn't. The best shot is the one I like the most, it's that simple

Ian, your shot of Cologne Cathedral is superb, as is Stephen's Tate Modern sun, but in the interests of fairness and all that...

A notable mention firstly for Pol's De la Warr bandstand. I like it because it's different, because the stand itself is an interesting piece of design and because it met the brief perfectly. Nice one Pol.

Third place goes to Mowgli, for the Cobo sillhouettes scene. Great colours, a stunning sun and a neat composition. The (sharpening?) halos and poor quality of the web image were all that stopped me placing it higher, but I'm sure that as a print it would look fabulous. Good work.

Second place goes to CoupeKid for his Stanwick Lake scene with the swan sillhouettes. The whole thing has a peaceful serenity to it, made even better by the warm light and another great sun. Very nice.

The winner of this second Salon is Autumn. The shot of the low sun through the suspension bridge in Lisbon is beautifully composed, nicely exposed and aesthetically spot on. The whole feel of the shot suggests that a measured, considered approach was taken and for me it's the best of show. Well done.

So congratulations to Autumn, who by default is now the Curator of the next Salon. Please copy and paste the rules and start a new thread with a theme of your choosing.

Thanks to everyone who entered for making such an effort and of course for the great standard of the entries themselves. Cheers
Old 20-10-06
Admin

Re: And The Winner Is...

Way to go Autumn!

If you need any help with setting up the next competition, just let me know.

And congratulations again!

Ian
Old 20-10-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Thank you for choosing my image. There were so many good ones that I NEVER expected to win. I just entered for fun.

My excitement at having won, was soon marred when I read that I was the new Curator. Having just had a good nights sleep, my heart is now pounding and my first thought of a subject was "Fear". However, I have decided against that as I don 't want to view frightening images!

I will post the new subject matter, when I have given it a little thought - it will be within 24 hours.

About 3 years ago we went on a cruise calling at Lisbon and as we left, the setting sun was through this bridge. I was so excited as I had tried very hard with the photographs, only to never see them, as I was having incompatibility problems with certain compact flash media and the G3 and my CF card fried. I was, therefore, very keen to have another shot. This was the rising sun. I have to say I was pleased with the result.

Thank you for choosing it and I will do my best to be a "Fair and honourable" curator.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 20-10-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Way to go Autumn!

If you need any help with setting up the next competition, just let me know.

And congratulations again!

Ian
Thanks Ian.

I shall probably be in touch with you later today when I have had time to read the rules! I'm a bit pushed atm.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 20-10-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

A difficult task, well done Bearface and congrats to Autumn
Old 20-10-06
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Well done Autumn, and thanks to Bearface for curating the Salon, you made a good choice. I look forward to the next theme and competition.

I'm hopeful that as our numbers grow more people will feel confident to enter the Salon Competition. This latest one has had more entries and more views than the first so hopefully this will the case.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 20-10-06
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Good salon - thank you bearface.

Well done Autumn - it's a cracker, I love it!

Pol
Old 21-10-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Thank you for choosing my image. There were so many good ones that I NEVER expected to win. I just entered for fun.

My excitement at having won, was soon marred when I read that I was the new Curator. Having just had a good nights sleep, my heart is now pounding and my first thought of a subject was "Fear". However, I have decided against that as I don 't want to view frightening images!

I will post the new subject matter, when I have given it a little thought - it will be within 24 hours.

About 3 years ago we went on a cruise calling at Lisbon and as we left, the setting sun was through this bridge. I was so excited as I had tried very hard with the photographs, only to never see them, as I was having incompatibility problems with certain compact flash media and the G3 and my CF card fried. I was, therefore, very keen to have another shot. This was the rising sun. I have to say I was pleased with the result.

Thank you for choosing it and I will do my best to be a "Fair and honourable" curator.

Nice one Autumn! Well deserved!
Old 21-10-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
...wait for it, wait for it...

Okay, firstly thanks to:

Spl, CoupeKid, Andrew Thatcher, JonMikal, Ian, Archangel, Jds9000, Pops, Mowgli, Pol, Stephen, JoLeady, Autumn and Peter for their interesting interpretations of the theme "Shooting into the Sun".

Having looked through the entries as closely as web-resolution photos would allow, I decided that the winning image would simply be the one which came closest to "hitting the spot" for me. Given the range of ablity in terms of the entrants, I didn't think it would be fair to take a critical, objective approach, so I didn't. The best shot is the one I like the most, it's that simple

Ian, your shot of Cologne Cathedral is superb, as is Stephen's Tate Modern sun, but in the interests of fairness and all that...

A notable mention firstly for Pol's De la Warr bandstand. I like it because it's different, because the stand itself is an interesting piece of design and because it met the brief perfectly. Nice one Pol.

Third place goes to Mowgli, for the Cobo sillhouettes scene. Great colours, a stunning sun and a neat composition. The (sharpening?) halos and poor quality of the web image were all that stopped me placing it higher, but I'm sure that as a print it would look fabulous. Good work.

Second place goes to CoupeKid for his Stanwick Lake scene with the swan sillhouettes. The whole thing has a peaceful serenity to it, made even better by the warm light and another great sun. Very nice.

The winner of this second Salon is Autumn. The shot of the low sun through the suspension bridge in Lisbon is beautifully composed, nicely exposed and aesthetically spot on. The whole feel of the shot suggests that a measured, considered approach was taken and for me it's the best of show. Well done.

So congratulations to Autumn, who by default is now the Curator of the next Salon. Please copy and paste the rules and start a new thread with a theme of your choosing.

Thanks to everyone who entered for making such an effort and of course for the great standard of the entries themselves. Cheers

Thanks Bearface! I am more than happy with a second, thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of this competition. Well done Autumn for an excellent win!
Old 21-10-06
Forum veteran

Archangel is on a distinguished road

Congratulations to Autumn for winning this contest with that very nice photo and also to all other participants that made this thread interesting.

I'm new into this website and forum, but I must admit I do like events like that and as long as I have some relevant photos to any competition and not only, I will participate.

Regards