Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  
 
advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > DPNow Salon Competition

DPNow Salon Competition
A fortnightly themed photo competition run by DPNow forum users for forum users. A curator chooses the theme and picks the winner and then becomes the new curator. It could be you!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 16-10-06
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,331
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 155 Times in 133 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

I think Stephen was one of the early ones, but the sun exhibit has become a bit of a photo cliché since.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 18-10-06
spl's Avatar
spl spl is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
spl is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Here's a cool one - cool as in cold that is

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 18-10-06
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,331
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 155 Times in 133 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Winter snow scenes shots usually have bluey shadows. I often have difficulty in deciding whether or not to make them neutral.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 19-10-06
spl's Avatar
spl spl is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
spl is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Winter snow scenes shots usually have bluey shadows. I often have difficulty in deciding whether or not to make them neutral.

Ian
yes i can see that but i think i prefer them blue it adds to the feeling of cold - I checked and they were blue in the original picture as well before I darkened highlights.
cheers
spl
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 19-10-06
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2) - LAST CALL FOR ENTRIES!

There's just under an hour remaining of this second Salon Competition, so if there are any of you holding onto suitable images, now is the time to post them. Don't be shy

I'll look through the submissions tonight and post the winner and notable runners up no later than tomorrow morning. The winner will then need to either start a new thread (including a copy/paste of the rules) and a new contest, or nominate someone to do so.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 20-10-06
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
And The Winner Is...

...wait for it, wait for it...

Okay, firstly thanks to:

Spl, CoupeKid, Andrew Thatcher, JonMikal, Ian, Archangel, Jds9000, Pops, Mowgli, Pol, Stephen, JoLeady, Autumn and Peter for their interesting interpretations of the theme "Shooting into the Sun".

Having looked through the entries as closely as web-resolution photos would allow, I decided that the winning image would simply be the one which came closest to "hitting the spot" for me. Given the range of ablity in terms of the entrants, I didn't think it would be fair to take a critical, objective approach, so I didn't. The best shot is the one I like the most, it's that simple

Ian, your shot of Cologne Cathedral is superb, as is Stephen's Tate Modern sun, but in the interests of fairness and all that...

A notable mention firstly for Pol's De la Warr bandstand. I like it because it's different, because the stand itself is an interesting piece of design and because it met the brief perfectly. Nice one Pol.

Third place goes to Mowgli, for the Cobo sillhouettes scene. Great colours, a stunning sun and a neat composition. The (sharpening?) halos and poor quality of the web image were all that stopped me placing it higher, but I'm sure that as a print it would look fabulous. Good work.

Second place goes to CoupeKid for his Stanwick Lake scene with the swan sillhouettes. The whole thing has a peaceful serenity to it, made even better by the warm light and another great sun. Very nice.

The winner of this second Salon is Autumn. The shot of the low sun through the suspension bridge in Lisbon is beautifully composed, nicely exposed and aesthetically spot on. The whole feel of the shot suggests that a measured, considered approach was taken and for me it's the best of show. Well done.

So congratulations to Autumn, who by default is now the Curator of the next Salon. Please copy and paste the rules and start a new thread with a theme of your choosing.

Thanks to everyone who entered for making such an effort and of course for the great standard of the entries themselves. Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 20-10-06
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,331
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 155 Times in 133 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: And The Winner Is...

Way to go Autumn!

If you need any help with setting up the next competition, just let me know.

And congratulations again!

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 20-10-06
Autumn's Avatar
Autumn Autumn is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 3,150
Thanks: 118
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
Likes: 298
Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Thank you for choosing my image. There were so many good ones that I NEVER expected to win. I just entered for fun.

My excitement at having won, was soon marred when I read that I was the new Curator. Having just had a good nights sleep, my heart is now pounding and my first thought of a subject was "Fear". However, I have decided against that as I don 't want to view frightening images!

I will post the new subject matter, when I have given it a little thought - it will be within 24 hours.

About 3 years ago we went on a cruise calling at Lisbon and as we left, the setting sun was through this bridge. I was so excited as I had tried very hard with the photographs, only to never see them, as I was having incompatibility problems with certain compact flash media and the G3 and my CF card fried. I was, therefore, very keen to have another shot. This was the rising sun. I have to say I was pleased with the result.

Thank you for choosing it and I will do my best to be a "Fair and honourable" curator.
__________________
Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 20-10-06
Autumn's Avatar
Autumn Autumn is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 3,150
Thanks: 118
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
Likes: 298
Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Re: And The Winner Is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Way to go Autumn!

If you need any help with setting up the next competition, just let me know.

And congratulations again!

Ian
Thanks Ian.

I shall probably be in touch with you later today when I have had time to read the rules! I'm a bit pushed atm.
__________________
Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 20-10-06
Pops's Avatar
Pops Pops is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 4,255
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 7
Thanked 55 Times in 50 Posts
Likes: 10
Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Pops is on a distinguished road
Re: And The Winner Is...

A difficult task, well done Bearface and congrats to Autumn
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 20-10-06
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Well done Autumn, and thanks to Bearface for curating the Salon, you made a good choice. I look forward to the next theme and competition.

I'm hopeful that as our numbers grow more people will feel confident to enter the Salon Competition. This latest one has had more entries and more views than the first so hopefully this will the case.
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 20-10-06
Pol's Avatar
Pol Pol is offline
Ancient Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Kent, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 174
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Likes: 299
Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Good salon - thank you bearface.

Well done Autumn - it's a cracker, I love it!

Pol
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 21-10-06
coupekid's Avatar
coupekid coupekid is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Thank you for choosing my image. There were so many good ones that I NEVER expected to win. I just entered for fun.

My excitement at having won, was soon marred when I read that I was the new Curator. Having just had a good nights sleep, my heart is now pounding and my first thought of a subject was "Fear". However, I have decided against that as I don 't want to view frightening images!

I will post the new subject matter, when I have given it a little thought - it will be within 24 hours.

About 3 years ago we went on a cruise calling at Lisbon and as we left, the setting sun was through this bridge. I was so excited as I had tried very hard with the photographs, only to never see them, as I was having incompatibility problems with certain compact flash media and the G3 and my CF card fried. I was, therefore, very keen to have another shot. This was the rising sun. I have to say I was pleased with the result.

Thank you for choosing it and I will do my best to be a "Fair and honourable" curator.

Nice one Autumn! Well deserved!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 21-10-06
coupekid's Avatar
coupekid coupekid is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: And The Winner Is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
...wait for it, wait for it...

Okay, firstly thanks to:

Spl, CoupeKid, Andrew Thatcher, JonMikal, Ian, Archangel, Jds9000, Pops, Mowgli, Pol, Stephen, JoLeady, Autumn and Peter for their interesting interpretations of the theme "Shooting into the Sun".

Having looked through the entries as closely as web-resolution photos would allow, I decided that the winning image would simply be the one which came closest to "hitting the spot" for me. Given the range of ablity in terms of the entrants, I didn't think it would be fair to take a critical, objective approach, so I didn't. The best shot is the one I like the most, it's that simple

Ian, your shot of Cologne Cathedral is superb, as is Stephen's Tate Modern sun, but in the interests of fairness and all that...

A notable mention firstly for Pol's De la Warr bandstand. I like it because it's different, because the stand itself is an interesting piece of design and because it met the brief perfectly. Nice one Pol.

Third place goes to Mowgli, for the Cobo sillhouettes scene. Great colours, a stunning sun and a neat composition. The (sharpening?) halos and poor quality of the web image were all that stopped me placing it higher, but I'm sure that as a print it would look fabulous. Good work.

Second place goes to CoupeKid for his Stanwick Lake scene with the swan sillhouettes. The whole thing has a peaceful serenity to it, made even better by the warm light and another great sun. Very nice.

The winner of this second Salon is Autumn. The shot of the low sun through the suspension bridge in Lisbon is beautifully composed, nicely exposed and aesthetically spot on. The whole feel of the shot suggests that a measured, considered approach was taken and for me it's the best of show. Well done.

So congratulations to Autumn, who by default is now the Curator of the next Salon. Please copy and paste the rules and start a new thread with a theme of your choosing.

Thanks to everyone who entered for making such an effort and of course for the great standard of the entries themselves. Cheers

Thanks Bearface! I am more than happy with a second, thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of this competition. Well done Autumn for an excellent win!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 21-10-06
Archangel Archangel is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Archangel is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Congratulations to Autumn for winning this contest with that very nice photo and also to all other participants that made this thread interesting.

I'm new into this website and forum, but I must admit I do like events like that and as long as I have some relevant photos to any competition and not only, I will participate.


Regards
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fortnightly Salon Competition No 50 - Odd One Out. Gez DPNow Salon Competition 44 13-10-08 02:16 PM
Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.9) Bearface DPNow Salon Competition 80 30-01-07 10:28 AM
Fortnightly Salon Competition No8 Stephen DPNow Salon Competition 64 16-01-07 09:56 AM
Fortnightly Salon Competition No 7 Autumn DPNow Salon Competition 65 01-01-07 01:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:38 AM.


© Digital Photography Now, 2001-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger