Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  
 
advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > DPNow Salon Competition

DPNow Salon Competition
A fortnightly themed photo competition run by DPNow forum users for forum users. A curator chooses the theme and picks the winner and then becomes the new curator. It could be you!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-10-06
Archangel Archangel is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Archangel is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

I'm new into this forum and this is my first post.
I thought I could participate into this competition.
So here is my photo:




Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-10-06
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,331
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 155 Times in 133 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)


Here is my Cologne Cathedral at dusk shot, originally posted on the Photo Critique board. Several versions of this shot can be seen there, processed by various forum leading lights but this is my version - a HDR merge from three RAW originals using Photoshop CS2.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-10-06
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Archangel ~ View Post
I'm new into this forum and this is my first post.
I thought I could participate into this competition.
So here is my photo:

And a very nice one it is too, welcome to the forums. Why not tell us about yourself in the Say Hello forum
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-10-06
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Interesting and curious! Why did you choose such a small aperture? The scene looks like it was set fairly wide on the zoom, so depth of field should have been pretty secure from just a couple of feet out to infinity even with a wider setting. At f/22 the edge in sharpness may have been lost, possibly? Photozone's review of this lens shows that the sweet spot for resolution is f/8 and is dropping off by f/11, though they don't test at any smaller apertures, unfortunately. There also looks to be some vignetting at the periphery as well, which may be a consequence of the small aperture but more likely to be the full frame sensor of the EOS-5D combined with a lens not optimised for digital.

I think it's a very impressive picture, mind you, but I just wonder about the camera settings and the darkening to the periphery.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I was shooting (hand-held - I left my tripod in England) both into and away from the sun from this vantage point, which was a narrow ridge stretching about 30 feet out to sea. The camera was set to shutter priority (@ 1/60th) for the simple reason that I wanted to capture at least some movement in the waves - which I achieved, although not to any great extent in the posted example.

Earlier in the afternoon I took this, I'd shot beach scenes at between f11 and f16 and found that the closer elements in the frame were slightly soft-looking, whereas closing down made quite a difference, even in shots taken at 17mm. Normally I'd stay in the sweet zones, but I wanted the foreground pebbles and seaweed to really pop, so I ventured beyond and it was worthwhile.

For this shot, I'd exposure-compensated by a full stop (under) and the ISO was set to 100, which left the aperture, which the camera closed to f22 to balance the exposure. Had I been in this spot for longer I'd have probably given more consideration to my settings, but the ridge was slippy, the tide was coming in and my priority was to get some shots from various angles before my shoes got wet

The vignetting is my own doing........I'm currently adding them in Photoshop to certain shots and convincing myself that it adds a certain something. I'm sure it's a phase which will pass in due course...

Hope this answers your question(s)!

Tim (Bearface)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-10-06
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,331
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 155 Times in 133 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Hi Ian,

I was shooting (hand-held - I left my tripod in England) both into and away from the sun from this vantage point, which was a narrow ridge stretching about 30 feet out to sea. The camera was set to shutter priority (@ 1/60th) for the simple reason that I wanted to capture at least some movement in the waves - which I achieved, although not to any great extent in the posted example.

Earlier in the afternoon I took this, I'd shot beach scenes at between f11 and f16 and found that the closer elements in the frame were slightly soft-looking, whereas closing down made quite a difference, even in shots taken at 17mm. Normally I'd stay in the sweet zones, but I wanted the foreground pebbles and seaweed to really pop, so I ventured beyond and it was worthwhile.

For this shot, I'd exposure-compensated by a full stop (under) and the ISO was set to 100, which left the aperture, which the camera closed to f22 to balance the exposure. Had I been in this spot for longer I'd have probably given more consideration to my settings, but the ridge was slippy, the tide was coming in and my priority was to get some shots from various angles before my shoes got wet

The vignetting is my own doing........I'm currently adding them in Photoshop to certain shots and convincing myself that it adds a certain something. I'm sure it's a phase which will pass in due course...

Hope this answers your question(s)!

Tim (Bearface)
Thanks for that - I was chatting to Stephen about the picture and we concluded that you probably put the vignette in

And there is never an ND filter around when you need one is there?!

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-10-06
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
And there is never an ND filter around when you need one is there?!

Ian

An "ND filter" ? What makes you think I know what one is?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-10-06
JonMikal JonMikal is offline
traveler
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DC
Posts: 228
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
JonMikal is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

my entry:


Last edited by Stephen; 11-10-06 at 07:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 13-10-06
Andrew Thatcher's Avatar
Andrew Thatcher Andrew Thatcher is offline
What the *%&
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 362
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Andrew Thatcher is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Here is one i took last month in Torbay Devon

__________________
...........................................
My PhotoBlog
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 15-10-06
coupekid's Avatar
coupekid coupekid is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Heres my effort.

Taken at Stanwick Lake in Northampton.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 15-10-06
coupekid's Avatar
coupekid coupekid is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Shooting towards the Sun eh Well here's something a little different.
Thats cheating! You cant just take a photo of a promo poster from Miss Saigon Stephen!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 15-10-06
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Thats cheating! You cant just take a photo of a promo poster from Miss Saigon Stephen!!
Haha, actually for anyone who doesn't know it was taken at the Tate Modern in London.

I actually thought Ben it was quite a creative take on the theme, and something different to the more predictable shot
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too



Last edited by coupekid; 16-10-06 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16-10-06
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Heres my effort.

Taken at Stanwick Lake in Northampton.
Very nice. My dad actually lives in Stanwick village - it's certainly a beautiful area if you avoid the dual carriageways.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16-10-06
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,331
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 155 Times in 133 Posts
Likes: 435
Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Very nice. My dad actually lives in Stanwick village - it's certainly a beautiful area if you avoid the dual carriageways.
The comp is going well - already more entries than comp 1 and it looks like the views are on schedule to exceed the last one too.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 16-10-06
coupekid's Avatar
coupekid coupekid is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Haha, actually for anyone who doesn't know it was taken at the Tate Modern in London.

I actually thought Ben it was quite a creative take on the theme, and something different to the more predictable shot
No, I didnt know that, it definately foos the eye!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 16-10-06
coupekid's Avatar
coupekid coupekid is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Posts: 2,020
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Very nice. My dad actually lives in Stanwick village - it's certainly a beautiful area if you avoid the dual carriageways.
Good greif, yes, I can relate to that. Its one hell of a journey to get there too, our freinds live there which we visit quite regularly. They used to livein Bracknell (where I live) then moved to Luton, and now moved to Northampton......youd think I would have taken the hint by now!

Its good to see that they have bought up a lot of the unused fields and done things with them, Its becoming quite a haven for wildlife, and the lakes have only been there a year!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fortnightly Salon Competition No 50 - Odd One Out. Gez DPNow Salon Competition 44 13-10-08 02:16 PM
Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.9) Bearface DPNow Salon Competition 80 30-01-07 10:28 AM
Fortnightly Salon Competition No8 Stephen DPNow Salon Competition 64 16-01-07 09:56 AM
Fortnightly Salon Competition No 7 Autumn DPNow Salon Competition 65 01-01-07 01:27 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Digital Photography Now, 2001-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger