Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > DPNow Salon Competition

DPNow Salon Competition
A fortnightly themed photo competition run by DPNow forum users for forum users. A curator chooses the theme and picks the winner and then becomes the new curator. It could be you!

Old 02-11-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition No 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Thank you to Goatsmilk, Bearface, Coupekid, Archangel, Pol, Stephen, spl, Mowgli, Pops, Ian

BLOWING IN THEWIND

As there are only 10 entries, I am going to make a few comments about each one.

I am an amateur and have been interested in photography for about 7 years when I joined our local Photographic Society:

http://www.worksop-photo-society.co.uk/

but I still don’t really understand many of the features on my cameras.

I have watched and listened to judges’ (with several letters after their names) critique images and select winners. On many occasions I wouldn’t have looked twice at them, but the ones I like don’t always get anywhere.

I know what I like in an image and to this end am a bit ‘straight’ but sometimes feel I would like to be more ‘arty.’

I love colour and am not generally a mono fan, although from time to time I do convert the odd one to mono from colour.

The theme Blowing in the Wind, makes me think of just that – anything blowing in the wind. This is what I shall be looking for within my selection.

Here goes.

Goatsmilkuk – Thanks for being first with your entry. This certainly meets the criteria. I like the tight crop even missing the top off the hood (which I never intentionally would have done, but am now beginning to think I could try this type of thing in the future)J

The picture is not really sharp – perhaps it shouldn’t be. It has a lot of grain. I think both these facts help to make the picture look bleak and windy together with the mono presentation. I love the hair blowing across the young lady’s face and the blurred background concentrates the attention on to her face.

I wish I could see just a little more of her eyes and I think the white gloves should be toned down, as my eyes are drawn to them. All in all, a very interesting image.

Bearface – A lovely portrait of a pretty young lady. Her eyes are beautiful, but I think skin tones appear a little light/white on my monitor. I know ‘high key’ are the buzz words these days and perhaps that is what this is. You see I am not sure when one loses texture and form and when ‘high key’ kicks in (because I don’t really know what “high key” means.
Blowing in the Wind?
“My interpretation is possibly stretching the concept slightly, but successful salons need erm.......mavericks like me.”

Of course they do. This is what I mean, I am too stayed. However, on this occasion, I don’t see a lot of movement. Am I right in thinking the model’s hair is moving with the aid of a wind machine? If so, I need to see a little more hair moving.

Coupekid – The focus, colour, cropping, blurred background and the happy little boy all come together to meet this challenge. It would have been nice to see his eyes, but he would more than likely have got the seeds in his eyes. You caught the moment well with the dandelion clock just being right for blowing.

Possibly his face is a touch soft and could probably do with a touch more exposure, but hey it’s a photograph you and he must be proud of.

Archangel – Yes, another one meeting the criteria. Lots of lovely choppy waves, due to the wind blowing.

I feel this image could do with quite a harsh crop particularly at the bow and the ocean above the ferry. This would have the effect of moving the ferry off center. You need to keep the wake. Some people may suggest you flip the image too as we read left to right. This is a very subjective suggestion. It is over all very blue. I don’t really know what could be done about this, as I have cruised quite a lot and often end up with unrealistically blue scenes. The boat could do with a bit more exposure, I think say in levels. (Ask the professionals!)

Pol – Very clever of you Pol. I can really feel the ‘Dover Red Trail’? ticket being whisked up in front of my eyes. Meets the challenge to a T. Unfortunately, the purple firework? top right drags my eye away from the focal point.

Stephen – Meets the criteria, perfectly positioned – on the diagonal moving left to right, blurred background. You have made the best of a very grey day but the orange around the sails liven up the whole scene. You have done well to catch the two windsurfers with just the right distance between them, with space in front for them to move into. It could be my screen, but it might benefit from having a third of a stop more exposure. Nice presentation.

Spl – What a lovely bright picture with such intense colours. I would love to go to Tibet. I wish I could see a little more of the flags. If you had stood a bit more to the right, I would be able to see more of them. It reminds me of a picture I took of beech huts, they were in such a long line and I wanted to get them all in, but the more I included, the less I saw.

Mowgli – What a lovely picture. The little one is really enjoying his/her ride. I wonder how you got the child on board without it falling off. I would have liked to see the full sail, a little more on the right of the craft and a little less on the left. Lovely colourful sail.

Pops – I wondered when someone was going to post washing on the line. I nearly took a pic of mine but decided on the flags instead.

It qualifies OK. The pieces of washing are set off with the Leylandii hedge. Interesting way people hang washing. I tend to be economical with my pegs, trapping two towels eg with one peg. It must be the wartime influence.

Ian – Geogeous photograph Ian. It also reminds me of family times on the east coast. But … … … is it a Bird? Is it a Plane? Is it a Kite? Is it a Ball? Do I make the decision as to what they are looking at in order to clarify your eligibility? I told you I was too straight. I reckon you did it on purpose.

Oh I have just seen the strings, it's a kite, you qualify. I agree the sepia toning suits the picture admirably.

Now comes the extra difficult part.

I have taken into consideration:

The theme, Blowing in the Wind,
The images I think most meet the challenge
Together with what I find easy on the eye
And thirdly, people’s experience (as far as I am aware)
… … … Here goes:

In third place, Stephen, with his beautiful picture of the windsurfers;

In second place, Goatsmilkuk with his most unusual monochrome;

and

In first place, Coupekid with the delightful image of his nephew.

So congratulations to Coupekid, who by default is now the Curator of the next Salon. Please copy and paste the rules and start a new thread with a theme of your choosing.

Thanks to everyone who entered and for making such an effort to give your interpretation of the theme

BLOWING IN THE WIND
Well I never!
What a super suprise! Thats made my week, so thanks so much for that!

Here goes for then for the one then!

I am going to leave this one wide open for my interests and others and entitle it 'The Living World'
Old 02-11-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Well I never!
What a super suprise! Thats made my week, so thanks so much for that!

Here goes for then for the one then!

I am going to leave this one wide open for my interests and others and entitle it 'The Living World'
What a challenge, I must put my thinking cap on. We have plenty of scope there.

Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 02-11-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What a challenge, I must put my thinking cap on. We have plenty of scope there.

Audrey
I think a title like 'Wildlife' would have been far too predictable for me!
Old 03-11-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goatsmilkuk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Goatsmilkuk

Well done Coupekid, Bob you know I'm really going to have to borrow that dress again

Stu
Old 03-11-06
Forum veteran

Goatsmilkuk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Goatsmilkuk

Quote:

Goatsmilkuk – Thanks for being first with your entry. This certainly meets the criteria. I like the tight crop even missing the top off the hood (which I never intentionally would have done, but am now beginning to think I could try this type of thing in the future)J

The picture is not really sharp – perhaps it shouldn’t be. It has a lot of grain. I think both these facts help to make the picture look bleak and windy together with the mono presentation. I love the hair blowing across the young lady’s face and the blurred background concentrates the attention on to her face.

I wish I could see just a little more of her eyes and I think the white gloves should be toned down, as my eyes are drawn to them. All in all, a very interesting image.
Thanks Autumn

The pic is of my wife taken Dec 04 when she had just gone 29, I shall let her know you called her a young lady as it will cheer her up, 31st is this month, she still gets asked for ID at times when buying wine lol.
I took it on the headland at Newquay in Cornwall, a freezing cold wind was blowing quite strong, it got rid of our hangovers, I tried to get the movement in her hair, the 'white gloves' are overexposed hands, the reason I later went for mono (a tip Pol gave me a few years ago), I added noise later. I thought about a tighter crop but wanted the background in, as you say it looks bleak

Thanks again for running the salon.

Stu
Old 03-11-06
Forum veteran

spl is on a distinguished road

Well done coupekid I thought your picture was delightful and very much within the brief of the competition with the "wind" coming from the boy's mouth - that was a clever interpretation.

And thanks to Autumn for running a challenging and thought provoking salon. My pic was actually taken in Scotland on the top of a grassy hill in a wood. to be honest about it the wind wasn't blowing that hard - just a gentle breeze!!
cheers
sue
Old 03-11-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mowgli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mowgli – What a lovely picture. The little one is really enjoying his/her ride. I wonder how you got the child on board without it falling off. I would have liked to see the full sail, a little more on the right of the craft and a little less on the left. Lovely colourful sail

First of all congratulations to Stephen, Goatsmilkuk and Coupekid in the competition.

Autumn, I did a very tight crop on the original picture so you could see the childs face, he/she was enjoying the ride (presumably with dad) the child gave a big smile when they spotted the camera. To have included all the sail I think would have lost the childs expression. The whole scenario was not very far out to sea but I did not see how the child was attached to the surfboard.
Mowgli