Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > DPNow Salon Competition

DPNow Salon Competition
A fortnightly themed photo competition run by DPNow forum users for forum users. A curator chooses the theme and picks the winner and then becomes the new curator. It could be you!

Old 29-04-07

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
cowcrzy06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to cowcrzy06
Thumbs up Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition No15

Joycelyn,

I Knew I didn't have a chance when I saw your entry!congratulations on a job well done!

Old 30-04-07
Forum veteran

Jocelyn Walker is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition No15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Thank you all for your contributions to this:

15th Salon

F R E E D O M

It was disappointing that there were so few entries, but I would like to thank Mike Parr for his last minute entry following my request and yes, Mike I do agree that many people saw the Spitfire as a route to Freedom.

It has been interesting to see how members portrayed “Freedom” and to this end I have to say that they all met the criteria.

As always, there are a few outstanding images that did not quite make No.1.

In no particular order, they are:

Freedom Over Aegean Sea by Archangel

I could empathise with George’s feelings about this seagull and his flight to freedom. A beautiful seascape George.

Monkey by Bigbob

Now this was one where I struggled a bit with whether or not it met the criteria, but in the end I decided that it was the monkey looking through the cage and wishing he/she were free. I though that this was a very poignant image.

Balloons by Stephen

I had thought that if someone had suggested “Freedom” as a topic, I would have posted a photograph of my Balloons. We once went ballooning in Arizona in 1999. It was an unforgettable experience and certainly gave us the feeling of “Freedom.”

Lovely image Stephen with the balloons just rising above the single tree and the moon still in view. I bet you had to rise
early for this shot.

Boathouse by ryme-intrinseca

The reflections of the setting sun would certainly create a feeling of Freedom if one were sailing in the boathouse.

I like the overall colour, the position of the boathouse and the setting sun in this image.

It is difficult to know where to stop, because each image has its own merit, so in reverse order, we have:

In third place

RYME-INTRINSECA WITH “BOATHOUSE”

In second place

STEPHEN WITH “BALLOONS”

But there can only be one winner and this time it is:

FLIGHT TO FREEDOM
By

Jocelyn

I thought her entry met the criteria and was outstandingly different. It did not matter to me that part of it was her artwork and the seagull – a photograph was superimposed. The end submission was a photograph of her work. It was well thought out and primarily, I understood it!

CONGRATULATIONS JOCELYN

Now over to you for Salon 16. I look forward to addressing the new challenge and just hope that a few more members will contribute.

Once again thanks to all who have entered. It is always exciting waiting to see how people interpret a Challenge.
Oh wow! I never thought my entry would be accepted let alone be then chosen for number 1 Thank you so much Audrey for your appreciation of my submission & yes, in the end it is all my original stuff, be it a photograph of my painting, plus an element from my photo of seagull in flight! I am really honoured, thank you. What a wonderful birthday present, (celebrated this weekend as I worked on the 26th) Sorry that with working shifts & away from home, Monday night here was my first chance to look at the computer.

For the Salon 16 challenge, my choice is REFLECTIONS. eg reflections in water, a mirror, someones eyes....whatever surface that gives a reflection of sorts...OR....your own interpretation of REFLECTION.....ie reflection of thought...the past!
Considering Australia is about 10 hours ahead of UK, can I make the start date today 30th April or should it start 1st May & run until Sunday 13th May! I look forward to all your inspired entries. Good luck!
Old 30-04-07
Forum veteran

Jocelyn Walker is on a distinguished road

Well done to ryme-intrinsica with Boathouse entry, Stephen & Balloons...love the connection there! My favourite was Big Bob's Monkey, I thought it represented the antithesis of freedom! Well thought out, imaginative & thought provoking photo.
Old 05-05-07
Forum veteran

vlarcombe is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Some great entries and a very worthy winner.

Autumn, sorry I did not enter. I had this great idea of a still life with a credit card cut up (freedom from debt) but my wife wouldn't let me cut hers up ! (actually time got the better of me ).

Vernon
Old 05-05-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlarcombe View Post
Hi,

Some great entries and a very worthy winner.

Autumn, sorry I did not enter. I had this great idea of a still life with a credit card cut up (freedom from debt) but my wife wouldn't let me cut hers up ! (actually time got the better of me ).

Vernon
Do you know Vernon, during the salon I said to Stephen, word for word what you have just said, with exactly the same title "Freedom from Debt", but I said credit cards. I then added that I wouldn't do it because I would have to apply for some more.

That's awful that we can't have unique thoughts. It would have been questionable if I hadn't been curator and both you and I had entered with the same title and photograph.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/