Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 16-04-09
Gina

Charming 3 year old CC please.

Please give me some feedback and/or advice on this. It's one of many from a shoot I did this afternoon. Many thanks.

This is not a crop, she was very lively and moved constantly so just as I pressed the shutter she moved! Kids!

Old 16-04-09
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
kennykodak is on a distinguished road
Re: Charming 3 year old CC please.

great expression but overexposed. this might be a casr where the camera's meter average the center weight, darker background (60%) with the remainder (40%) where the subject was. points on arm and nose have histogram values of 255, no detail.
But overall, nice capture that any mom would be thrilled with.
Old 16-04-09
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

I'd agree with John, the meter has been fooled by the darker background and therefore the face is overexposed.

However from an aesthetic POV I don't think the picture works as well as I've seen other face crops work. Somehow it just looks as though it was poor framing. In these situations I might have been tempted to put the camera on continuous exposure, maybe even AI focus, not that the focus here is an issue.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 16-04-09
Gina

Thanks for your advice guys.
Old 16-04-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road

She is a brilliant subject, such a fun expression, you simply must go back and get some more.

Best tip I can give is to take sweets (or whatever you can bribe her with and Mum will allow)

Have Fun
Old 16-04-09
Gina

Thanks Graham,

Instead of sweets I take my 'Magic' helper Princess Daisy along in my camera bag. A useful distraction for this age group which also fits on your middle finger so to get the kids attention. Doesn't always work but I'd try anything to engage with them. I've also started to tell fussy, nervous parents to let me take control of their kids during the shoot, they tend to listen to me more than their bossy mums!

Here's Princess Daisy, followed by a few more of Ruby. If there is any more instruction about AI focus I'd be happy to learn more.

Old 16-04-09
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Gina, Ai focus is intended to follow moving objects, so as long as you half depress the shutter release the subject should remain in focus if you are following them or if they would be constantly be going out of focus, like moving towards you. Frankly with the photos you are showing here I don't think its needed, and I would simply have the focus on the centre spot.

you do seem to have a focus issue with a couple of the shots though and its apparent the camera is focusing slightly behind. Using centre spot focus should normally not allow this so maybe its something you need to address.

Generally they are nice shots of Ruby, though the fifth one would have been better had the space been on her left IMHO, instead of her effectively facing out of the picture.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 16-04-09
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
you do seem to have a focus issue with a couple of the shots though and its apparent the camera is focusing slightly behind. Using centre spot focus should normally not allow this so maybe its something you need to address.

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for explaining Ai for me, I've learned something today and am very grateful. With regard to your comment above, can you suggest anything that might help me with focusing? I do know that some shots are slightly OOF but don't know whether it's the camera, lens, settings or me. For this shoot I was in the community playground and Ruby was a fidgety fast mover. I used a 28-90mm lens with UV filter and hood. I set the camera to auto with a fast shutter speed. How do I find out where the problem is?
Old 16-04-09
Forum veteran

jojo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Hello Stephen,

I set the camera to auto with a fast shutter speed. How do I find out where the problem is?
Hi Gina, firstly I find the first one of Ruby (directly under Princess Daisy) most pleasing with the exception of the watermark, which I feel is intrusive? However, with regard to your question above, if I understand you correctly, when the camera is in auto e.g. green square mode, then you have no control over the shutter speed or any other function as the camera is "calling the shots" - so to speak. Can one of our more learned friends confirm this?

jo
Old 16-04-09
Gina

Hi jojo,

To clarify, the camera was on the speed setting - not the auto green square - apologies for confusion.

With regard to the prominent watermarks - these images are the edits I upload to networking sites such as Facebook etc. for the parents to view. I have had images not only stolen and used on other sites as someone else's work but people can save most images to their pc and print for free which I find unacceptable in both cases. If I had my way I'd watermark right across the middle!

Normally I would keep my name inconspicuous on DP Now but I just haven't had time today.

Sorry you find it intrusive.