Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Headline news

Headline news Comment on DPNow news stories or even alert us to breaking news we haven't yet spotted.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-11-06
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Nikon's new D40 - what do you think?

The new Nikon D40 stays at 6MP - on the face of it a good thing if protestations against the megapixel race are worthy. But will the public think the same way? And will there be confusion now the Nikon D40 is the first Nikon AF DSLR that can only autofocus with AF-S type lenses? We were told by Nikon UK yesterday that the D40 is expected to pioneer a big leap in DSLR market share for Nikon. Is their new baby going to see off the Pentax K100D, Canon EOS-400D, Sony Alpha A100 - even the more expensive but similarly diminutive Olympus E-400? Let's hear your say!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 16-11-06
EmaP

Re: Nikon's new D40 - what do you think?

I'm really interested in evaluating different differences in image quality with Oly E-400 because it is the only other "compact" DSLR.
I think that 6MP could be an advantage in term of noise and DR and I hope it won't pay too much resolution to 10MP (30% in theory).
Marketing...
... it depends on Nikon.
If they are able to say "compact", "lightweight", "easy to use", "superior performance" and can present affordable lenses for "Your DSLR: all advantages of compact cameras and DSL in a unique Nikon body" it could be really a huge success.
Old 16-11-06
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmaP View Post
I'm really interested in evaluating different differences in image quality with Oly E-400 because it is the only other "compact" DSLR.
I think that 6MP could be an advantage in term of noise and DR and I hope it won't pay too much resolution to 10MP (30% in theory).
Marketing...
... it depends on Nikon.
If they are able to say "compact", "lightweight", "easy to use", "superior performance" and can present affordable lenses for "Your DSLR: all advantages of compact cameras and DSL in a unique Nikon body" it could be really a huge success.
After a brief hands on, I can say that the Nikon D40 is slightly narrower than the Olympus E-400, but in all other dimensions the E-400 is quite a bit smaller and it's 25% lighter too. The E-400's lens is also a lot smaller and lighter. But the D40 has a more substantial, more solid, feel, so I think each camera will appeal to different buyers.

Ian
Old 16-11-06
Max

Looks to me that Nikon is hell bent on converting compact p&s users. The D40 is full of compromises for anyone already in the Nikon DSLR (and film SLR) camp - it;s not a camera aimed at these guys one bit. But there is minimal compromise to a p&s upgrader.
Old 16-11-06
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Looks to me that Nikon is hell bent on converting compact p&s users. The D40 is full of compromises for anyone already in the Nikon DSLR (and film SLR) camp - it;s not a camera aimed at these guys one bit. But there is minimal compromise to a p&s upgrader.
I have to agree. This new camera is almost an irrelevance to the core Nikon tribe. The one good thing it will do is bring more into the Nikonian fold, but the real entry level Nikon is really still the D80.

F-man
Old 16-11-06
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
That's an interesting point of view. Nikon has a tradition of preserving as much backwards compatibility as it can but the D40 does look like it has broken that tradition.

I'm curious to discover if Nikon can successfully create a niche in the market for a lower specification DSLR at a price lower than the ten megapixel entry-level models from Canon, Sony, etc.

Ian
Old 17-11-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian,
At Nikon's Japanese site I found around four or five news releases about D40.
Apart from the announcement of the new model, I found the "Digitutor" for D40 was interesting. It explains first how to install a lens on D40. This clearly explains the nature of this new model. Do not take me wrong. I'm talking about this favorably. Entry market is one of the important area where Nikon needs some effective counter measures and I understand it, though I'm not a Nikon user myself. It also emphasizes that D40 is a family's ideal dSLR that any family member can use easily. MY FIRST DSLR - that's D40. Your picture of D40 shows it's quite small/light, which is very importatn in the entry market and now remaining issue is the price - will it be really competitive?

The success of D50 was for me a fresh surprise in the past year or so and it looks to me D40 has a good potentiality of being a success at least in Japanese market. It is "dSLR" and "Nikon" - many compact digicam owners must be attracted to it when it is properly priced.

As you know Nikon is not at all competitive in the compact digicam market. The major players in this end are Canon, Casio, Sony, Panasonic and Fujifilm.
Nikon is just neglected so needs to grasp the dSLR entry market for future growth.

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/jpn/d40/index.shtml

P.S. You will find at the bottom of the image some menus like "Tour Movie" or "Photo Gallery" etc. By clicking you can enjoy the movie. The Gallery shows some sample pictures - a typical family pictures.
Old 17-11-06
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
That's an interesting point of view. Nikon has a tradition of preserving as much backwards compatibility as it can but the D40 does look like it has broken that tradition.

I'm curious to discover if Nikon can successfully create a niche in the market for a lower specification DSLR at a price lower than the ten megapixel entry-level models from Canon, Sony, etc.

Ian
The Jessops web sit is taking pre-orders for the camera, Silver or Black with a 18-55 lens: price 449.99

Patrick
Old 17-11-06
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The Jessops web sit is taking pre-orders for the camera, Silver or Black with a 18-55 lens: price 449.99

Patrick
Hi Patrick.

I'm sure you would recommend a Canon EOS-400D for just £50 more (Jessops price too) instead (Patrick is a Canon user! ), but in any case do you think the Nikon D40 will prosper under this kind of competition?

Ian

Last edited by Ian; 17-11-06 at 03:53 PM.
Old 17-11-06
Admin

Yoshi, I think what you say does underline the fact that Nikon is totally focussed on the first time DSLR buyer.

Is there much comment from the Japanese press on the specification?

Ian
Old 17-11-06
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Patrick.

I'm sure you would recommend a Canon EOS-400D for just £50 more (Jessops price too) instead (Patrick is a Canon user! ), but in any case do you think the Nikon D40 will prosper under this kind of competition?

Ian
Possibly.
Nikon users do tend to be faithful but that doesnít necessarily apply here as an entry level camera they are aiming at new users.
Itís a good looking camera and I get the impression it will fit the hand very well.
The question remains about its 6 million chip, we all know thatís more than adequate but Canon have had to give in to the market and go 10 million with its 400D and Iím sure it may go a step further with the 30D replacement, which must be surfacing soon. Itís a year since the 30D launch and it was trailing Nikon even then, canít see Canon sitting on their hands for much longer, Any rumours Yoshi?

The Canon 400D has the advantages in that yes itís a entry level camera but will also be bought as a second camera for someone with a higher end model but still use existing lenses. As a backup the D40 misses out in this respect due the changed Autofocus.

I donít doubt the D40 will sell in big numbers but I think it will fall short of Nikons expectations.

Patrick

Last edited by Ian; 17-11-06 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Correct typo in my quote
Old 17-11-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
Yoshi, I think what you say does underline the fact that Nikon is totally focussed on the first time DSLR buyer.

Is there much comment from the Japanese press on the specification?

Ian
HI Ian, as the official news release was just yesterday the press simply reports about it without adding comments. At forums i see hot arguments from both sides. A critique I find nice is that D40 is a good camera but should have been introduced one year earlier.
An opinion that favors D40 says that when he was a junior high school student about two decades ago, he saved hard and could buy an entrly class film SLR, Nikon EM. Although prices of dSLR are declining now, they are still expensive and he hopes D40 gives a good momentum toward more affordable dSLR. A good point, I think. We should recall that an entry class film SLR was available at much less than currently prevailing dSLR prices. It should be a third of the rumored price of D40 --- and not 4/3rds in this case !?
yoshi
Old 17-11-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The question remains about its 6 million chip, we all know thatís more than adequate but Canon have had to give in to the market and go 10 million with its 400D and Iím sure it may go a step further with the 30D replacement, which must be surfacing soon. Itís a year since the 30D launch and it was trailing Nikon even then, canít see Canon sitting on their hands for much longer, Any rumours Yoshi?

Patrick
Hi Patrick,
Do you want me to create rumours? At the opposite end of the Eurasian continent we import rumours much more than export. So hopefully you start first. Then i would add some and pass it to ... whom ...well, maybe to the States.

Seriously, though, you already mentioned all the rumours . So nothing to add. ---
well, if I try to recall, it looks like many 1DMkII owners are starting to sell it before PMA. After selling some are complaining no good camera to use.
yoshi
Old 17-11-06
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
Hi Patrick,
Do you want me to create rumours? At the opposite end of the Eurasian continent we import rumours much more than export. So hopefully you start first. Then i would add some and pass it to ... whom ...well, maybe to the States.

Seriously, though, you already mentioned all the rumours . So nothing to add. ---
well, if I try to recall, it looks like many 1DMkII owners are starting to sell it before PMA. After selling some are complaining no good camera to use.
yoshi
Well I can identify with that, though suspect that maybe 1DsMkII users would be doing the same, I'm not sure Canon will persevere with another 1.3x crop camera

Check out my BLOG too

Old 17-11-06
Forum veteran

Hi Stephen,
A rumor says Sony is planning to introduce APS-H (crop x1.25 or 1.3) before FF. Why not Canon? x1.3 is nice in many aspects when you think about lenses performances.
yoshi