Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Did you hear about...

Did you hear about... Talk about (almost) anything, within reason and it can - even should - be about something not directly related to photography.

Old 20-03-08
What the £*%&

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andrew Thatcher is on a distinguished road
Beeb gets GP back

Looks like the BBC has got F1 back from 2009. Good news for all the ITV haters out there. (come on it can't just be me )
Old 20-03-08
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 3 Posts
JSR is on a distinguished road
Re: Beeb gets GP back

That's certainly good news.

At last something on the BBC that justifies the licence fee.

I've forgotten how it was pre-96. Will the BBC have their own commentators and interviewers on the track?

I get rather fed up of see someone crash out of the race, then Louise Goodman sticks a microphone in their face and says "that didn't go to plan, did it?" As though the guy's going to say "Yes, actually, I planned to crash into the tyre wall. It's been a perfect weekend."

Then there's Brundle doing the grid-walk and only talking to people who he wants to talk to. The term "impartiality" just applies to other people doesn't it, Martin? And when his favoured few don't want to talk to him, he has no one to interview except z-list celebs he happens to spot.

Maybe the BBC will be able to get more technically-capable microphones so that we can actually hear the drivers instead of having their valuable insight drowned out by the car engines.
Old 20-03-08
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
That's certainly good news.

At last something on the BBC that justifies the licence fee.

I've forgotten how it was pre-96. Will the BBC have their own commentators and interviewers on the track?

I get rather fed up of see someone crash out of the race, then Louise Goodman sticks a microphone in their face and says "that didn't go to plan, did it?" As though the guy's going to say "Yes, actually, I planned to crash into the tyre wall. It's been a perfect weekend."

Then there's Brundle doing the grid-walk and only talking to people who he wants to talk to. The term "impartiality" just applies to other people doesn't it, Martin? And when his favoured few don't want to talk to him, he has no one to interview except z-list celebs he happens to spot.

Maybe the BBC will be able to get more technically-capable microphones so that we can actually hear the drivers instead of having their valuable insight drowned out by the car engines.
The BBC's coverage until the TV take over was ordinary, though we didn't realise that until ITV took over. I was very anti-ITV at the time, but I think they have developed the coverage well.

I like the Brundle grid walk - I think to say that he only interviews his favourites is unfair - he often starts the grid walk from the back and he knows who is likely to be receptive to an interview and who is not, plus he regularly collars top names and even when it's a non-F1 celeb, he seems very knowledgable. I think Brundle is the star of the show and I hope he is retained.

Though I am a bit uncomfortable saying it, I can't see a future for Mark Blundell. It would be great if he could be replaced by Damon Hill, though it's unlikely Damon would be interested in the travelling as he has a lot of other interests.

James Allen does a good job, though I was impressed with Ben Edwards on Eurosport when they were covering F1.

I'd like to see a return of the original Fleetwood Mac theme music

I hear that the races will be shown live on the Internet as well.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 20-03-08
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I like the Brundle grid walk - I think to say that he only interviews his favourites is unfair - he often starts the grid walk from the back and he knows who is likely to be receptive to an interview and who is not, plus he regularly collars top names and even when it's a non-F1 celeb, he seems very knowledgable. I think Brundle is the star of the show and I hope he is retained.
I just recall last year when all the trouble was going on at McLaren and Brundle was fawning all over Hamilton. On one of the gridwalks he walked by Alonso's position and said "I don't want to talk to him..." and stormed off away as fast as he could go.

Regardless of the politically infighting at McLaren and regardless of Brundle's bias towards Hamilton, why should he be the one to deny us a few words from the reigning two-time World Champion as he was at the time? The politics shouldn't matter. Once on the racetrack they are drivers, we are the viewers, and Brundle's meant to be the link between the two during the gridwalk. I tune in to see coverage of F1 and the world's best racing drivers, not to see "The Martin Brundle & Lewis Hamilton Show".
Old 20-03-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
Looks like the BBC has got F1 back from 2009. Good news for all the ITV haters out there. (come on it can't just be me )
Wonderful that the Beeb has F1 back with no adverts, but I fear they will use and possibly add to the rubbish ITV included, I hated ITV's presentation can't stand all that interviewing, asking mindlessly obvious questions.
ITV is one (not all) the reasons I lost interest in F1

As to JSR's tongue in cheek remark about the license fee, I think its wonderful value for money, donít forget they make original programs for TV. The cable/digital companies will then charge a subscription to see repeats of the self same programs and interrupt with adverts, but never actually make any programs themselves.
On top of this there is the BBC Radio service

Patrick
Old 20-03-08
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
As to JSR's tongue in cheek remark about the license fee, I think its wonderful value for money, donít forget they make original programs for TV. The cable/digital companies will then charge a subscription to see repeats of the self same programs and interrupt with adverts, but never actually make any programs themselves.
On top of this there is the BBC Radio service
This is a discussion for another time, of course. Though I do look at the continual dumbing down of TV as the BBC concentrate more on chasing ratings than on quality programming, and I have to ask myself why it is that £3,487,500,000 per year isn't enough for them.

I don't want to steal this thread with that topic, though, as it's largely an irrelevent discussion. Regardless of whether we consider it being value for money or not - we still have to pay it, or get locked up like a common criminal.

The move of F1 to the BBC is a small step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
Old 20-03-08
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is a discussion for another time, of course. Though I do look at the continual dumbing down of TV as the BBC concentrate more on chasing ratings than on quality programming, and I have to ask myself why it is that £3,487,500,000 per year isn't enough for them.

I don't want to steal this thread with that topic, though, as it's largely an irrelevent discussion. Regardless of whether we consider it being value for money or not - we still have to pay it, or get locked up like a common criminal.

The move of F1 to the BBC is a small step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
BBC chasing ratings? this is what they should be doing......ratings mean that more people are watching their programmes, which means they are putting out stuff that people like to watch.

I really like the ITV coverage, though admittadly, the build up does drag sometimes. An hour build up is a little over the top before the racing starts.

I also wonder whether we will get 'The Chain' back as the theme tune!
Old 20-03-08
What the £*%&

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andrew Thatcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
James Allen does a good job, though I was impressed with Ben Edwards on Eurosport when they were covering F1.

I'd like to see a return of the original Fleetwood Mac theme music

Ian

I hope they get Ben Edwards. Sometimes i just have to turn down Allen. I just can't see them not using the Mac.
Old 20-03-08
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
BBC chasing ratings? this is what they should be doing......ratings mean that more people are watching their programmes, which means they are putting out stuff that people like to watch.
The trouble with that theory is that you get the largest audience by dumbing down your programmes to appeal to the lowest common denominator. A commercial channel has to do this because advertisers will only advertise if enough people are watching. A non-commercial station shouldn't need to do that and so should give priority to quality programming over chasing ratings.

If the BBC want to behave like a commercial station, perhaps they should become one and spare us that compulsory tax they call the licence fee.

(No, this isn't a rant against the licence fee - merely a call for better quality programming.)
Old 20-03-08
F1 nutter

Liked at 59 Times in 48 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road

Yes thats great news but lets hope they show all the qualifying and still show the grid walks. As for the chain that was my ring tone for years. Lets just hope they also show the gp 2 stuff. Not sure if anyone saw the f1 season when it was sky a few years back that was great as they showed all the support races as well. It was the next best thing to being there. With all these digital channels floating about the bbc have plenty of space to show warm ups and such like.

Oh and yes it was not a great start to the season for me but it can only get better.
Old 20-03-08
Super Moderator

Quote:
The trouble with that theory is that you get the largest audience by dumbing down your programmes to appeal to the lowest common denominator. A commercial channel has to do this because advertisers will only advertise if enough people are watching. A non-commercial station shouldn't need to do that and so should give priority to quality programming over chasing ratings.

If the BBC want to behave like a commercial station, perhaps they should become one and spare us that compulsory tax they call the licence fee.

(No, this isn't a rant against the licence fee - merely a call for better quality programming.)
To be fair, BBC3 and 4 have the lesser dumbed down programmes.....maybe you should watch those
Old 21-03-08
Forum veteran

Quote:
To be fair, BBC3 and 4 have the lesser dumbed down programmes.....maybe you should watch those
That raises another point. If the "lesser dumbed down programmes" are shown on BBC3 and BBC4 then that forces you to spend more on investing in digital. Funny, I thought the TV licence should pay for BBC content? Clearly they use the power of the law to force us to pay for programmes that many people can't actually watch.

If the BBC didn't show quite so much rubbish, just maybe they would manage quite well with just BBC1 and BBC2 - just like the old days.

(I'd dispute that BBC3 actually shows "lesser dumbed down programmes", and BBC4 often only manages it by showing repeats of pre-80s programmes, but I feel I've hijacked this thread quite enough already..! )
Old 21-03-08
Super Moderator

Quote:
That raises another point. If the "lesser dumbed down programmes" are shown on BBC3 and BBC4 then that forces you to spend more on investing in digital. Funny, I thought the TV licence should pay for BBC content? Clearly they use the power of the law to force us to pay for programmes that many people can't actually watch.

If the BBC didn't show quite so much rubbish, just maybe they would manage quite well with just BBC1 and BBC2 - just like the old days.
)
I hear what you are saying, and agree to a point, however, dont forget that digital is a relatively new technolog, and the majority of new televisions now come with a built in freeview box, so I gues you could argue that the BBC are just embracing the new technology.

I personally wouldnt want my license money being spent on rolling out the two chanels on analougue, then have to spend more moving over to digital.
Old 21-03-08
Forum veteran

Quote:
I hear what you are saying, and agree to a point, however, dont forget that digital is a relatively new technolog, and the majority of new televisions now come with a built in freeview box, so I gues you could argue that the BBC are just embracing the new technology.

I personally wouldnt want my license money being spent on rolling out the two chanels on analougue, then have to spend more moving over to digital.
Effectively we, as the consumer, are having to pay for the move. They've already started switching off analogue in some areas. If you happen to have three or four TVs that used to work with a bit of metal stuck in the aerial socket, you now have to buy a *free*view box for each TV. So you have to spend extra money to pay to see the channels you're already paying to see in the first place.

Fortunately we have cable here, but that only goes to one TV. Any other TV in the house will be rendered useless unless we pay extra to make them digital. One portable doesn't have a scart socket, so that'll be destined for the landfill. How many other TVs will be chucked out? How many people have recently bought or who are in the process of buying a brand new "digitial" TV and will consign the model they're replacing to the landfill? The UK population is over 60m. If only one tenth of people throw out an old TV, that's 6,000,000 television sets in the landfill. And the government have the gall to moan that we're making the environment worse?

It's not about embracing new technology, it's all about them making whopping great fat piles of cash by selling off the analogue frequencies. Apparently, the government will make something like £10bn selling them off, the BBC already get £3,487,500,000 per year, and the only people who don't gain out of this is the hapless consumer who has to put up the cash or get sent to prison. It's a funny country.
Old 21-03-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Effectively we, as the consumer, are having to pay for the move. They've already started switching off analogue in some areas. If you happen to have three or four TVs that used to work with a bit of metal stuck in the aerial socket, you now have to buy a *free*view box for each TV. So you have to spend extra money to pay to see the channels you're already paying to see in the first place.

Fortunately we have cable here, but that only goes to one TV. Any other TV in the house will be rendered useless unless we pay extra to make them digital. One portable doesn't have a scart socket, so that'll be destined for the landfill. How many other TVs will be chucked out? How many people have recently bought or who are in the process of buying a brand new "digitial" TV and will consign the model they're replacing to the landfill? The UK population is over 60m. If only one tenth of people throw out an old TV, that's 6,000,000 television sets in the landfill. And the government have the gall to moan that we're making the environment worse?

It's not about embracing new technology, it's all about them making whopping great fat piles of cash by selling off the analogue frequencies. Apparently, the government will make something like £10bn selling them off, the BBC already get £3,487,500,000 per year, and the only people who don't gain out of this is the hapless consumer who has to put up the cash or get sent to prison. It's a funny country. :

Well it was me that started the Beeb support/bashing part of this thread so I suppose I better fill out my argument a little more.

For a start the BBC isn't responsible for the nation going digital although they are leading players in its development. They have very successfully taken Freeview over from the ITV conglomerate that couldn't make it work, one up to public service over commersial.
Criticizing anyone BBC or Government for going digital is a little like criticizing a photographer for going digital, its now the way forward and can't be ignored.
There would be even more grumbles if it had been ignored and the rest of the world was embracing it. There was a similar argument when we switched from 405 lines to 625 and the redundat TV's that resulted. With Digital at least the TV's can and will be converted (over 80% of the population already have anyway). Coincidentally its illigal to put televisions into land fill they have to be disposed of in a controlled fashion like freezers and fridges.
As to ratings again the BBC can't win the argument if they go for high quality programing resulting in low viewing figures critics say it not worth the license fee because not enough watch, if they chase the viewing figures with populist programs they get the argument they are a public service TV station and should be doing better quality programs.
So they try to do both, we all know compromise can result in neither one or the other, to this end I can't imagine any other organization doing a better balancing act. What is program quality anyway, its so very subjective, what is high quality program to one may just as easily be rubbish to another.

It cost more to subscribe to Cable or Sky per annum than the license fee, Feeview being free after buying the box for as low as £15 these days, and this being free to pensioners when the switch off reaches their areas.
For the money the BBC supplies 4 TV channels and Freeview, a cart load of radio stations both international, national, and local.
How much more do you want for less than £3 a week?

I know the argument that the license is compulsory if you own a TV and a subscription is by choice, but that doesn't detract from the great value for money the BBC gives.
It seems to me what we take for granted, bash and moan about the BBC, other countries around the world appreciate and envy this institution of ours.

I do believe the day will come when the BBC becomes commercial (there is a commersial arm now and are one of the biggest publishers in the UK), in my view that will be a dark day, and when its to late we will realize what we have lost.

Patrick