Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 13-11-07
Smile!

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ekkl is on a distinguished road
Re: Lack of action continues

Quote:
Starting this month, each month we'll be awarding a small prize for the most interesting individual message posted on the forum and one for the poster who has shown the most enthusiasm. The first winners will be chosen by the forum moderator team this time next month - so get posting now!
This was posted in July 2006!

From what I can make out there has only been one winner so far and that is by his own admission, can't see anywhere who has won what!
Old 13-11-07
Forum veteran

Bearface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I care about the site and want to see it grow and retain members and sign up new members. I accept Ian's comment that there is always some that join in for a time and move on to pastures new, that is inevitable but we must hold on to a higher proportion to show that growth.
All the successful sites I've been a member of for any length of time have had a loyal, core membership. These people are the unique characters, the experts, the clueless novices, the witty, the argumentative and the complete *********. However, they are valued by the site owners /admins because they represent a cross-section of personalities (to whom any newcomers can relate) and they have made the website into a welcoming community with an established, homely feel.

DPNow has had this core membership, but right now there are very few of the old guard remaining, which is sad. People need to see that they are valued and heard, plus some consistency and follow-through wouldn't go amiss.
Old 13-11-07
Forum veteran

bigbob is on a distinguished road

I don't think we can /should blame Ian for all thats wrong with the forum .
Take a look at the reponse time on most of the threads and most are unanswered for days sometimes weeks , the comment boxes in personall gallerys are empty and in general aparthy seems to have set in .
WE are reponsable for the day to day smooth running of this forum , if we took more interest maybe Ian would'nt be needed so much .
And before anyone says i've missed the point I HAVE'NT , i've ben around photography forums for 8 years now and this sort of thing occurs on most at some point , use it or lose it .
I'm as much if not more to blame as well , i just have'nt joined in as much as i'd liked , not just because of work commitments but also because when i have logged on nothing seemed to have moved , sometimes for weeks on end .
Anyway i'm not going anywhere i'll continue to log on and when i can join in , lets hope in a years time we don't look back and say ''what if '' ?

B..
Old 14-11-07
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
I don't think we can /should blame Ian for all thats wrong with the forum .
Take a look at the reponse time on most of the threads and most are unanswered for days sometimes weeks , the comment boxes in personall gallerys are empty and in general aparthy seems to have set in .
WE are reponsable for the day to day smooth running of this forum , if we took more interest maybe Ian would'nt be needed so much .
And before anyone says i've missed the point I HAVE'NT , i've ben around photography forums for 8 years now and this sort of thing occurs on most at some point , use it or lose it .
I'm as much if not more to blame as well , i just have'nt joined in as much as i'd liked , not just because of work commitments but also because when i have logged on nothing seemed to have moved , sometimes for weeks on end .
Anyway i'm not going anywhere i'll continue to log on and when i can join in , lets hope in a years time we don't look back and say ''what if '' ?

B..

I partly agree with you Bob, but the question why is interest from members droping?
I think the replies from many members answer the question, a failure to deliver promises.
Yes the new techi devices get attended too, upgrading this or that, but if the features they support are not maintained whats the point.
That is clearly where the problem is, a lack of follow through that is resulting in the drop in interest.
As I write my own loyalty to DP-Now is stretched, I'm not sure how long I have been a member over 5 years would not surprise me.

Come on Ian for the time being forget technical up grades, tidy up the unused clear out the unwanted, get wanted features working as intended, update long awaited information, and ensure its maintained that way by you or someone you delegate to. If new features are added ensure they hit the ground running, not be left totally unused for 10 days as with the Golden Gallery

Patrick