Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Did you hear about...

Did you hear about... Talk about (almost) anything, within reason and it can - even should - be about something not directly related to photography.

Old 04-10-07
F1 nutter

Liked at 59 Times in 48 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road
Re: japanese gp

Well I did say it did not look good. Bet he gets away with.
Old 04-10-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 3 Posts
JSR is on a distinguished road

Interesting that the video "is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management".

Yeah, right. Something suspicious going on here.

Still, Hamilton leads a charmed life. He won't get penalised. Or, if he does, it'll be something that doesn't affect his winning the WDC.
Old 04-10-07
lumix

Come on guys lets get the facts right. We all know how important it is to keep the tyres and breaks up to temperature when stuck behind the safety car. To do this it is necessary to accelerate and break also to swerve on the track. A professional driver will leave room for the car in front to do this. I see Webber being unprofessional even stupid to place his car that close to Hamilton in those conditions. Clearly he was trying to stop Hamilton from preparing his car for the moment the safety car came in. His reason for this in my view was to try to get the drop on him when the race re-started. Hamilton stated strait after the race that he was being harassed by drivers getting too close to him and feared a rear collision. If you have ever been tailgated by a 50 ton Lorry on a motorway you will know how he must have felt. So lets give the boy the credit he deserves for keeping a cool head while others so called more experienced lost theirs and the race.
Old 04-10-07
Been here for a while....

Liked at 13 Times in 10 Posts
devilgas is on a distinguished road

f1, copyright. same with world rally championship. the wrc claim copyright of all video footage of their product. no doubt the video will be used as evidence.

my viewing of it showed hamilton getting close to the pace car as they approached the corner. he then took a very tight line and moved off line to avoid having to excessively slow down and hence run the risk of webber / vettel running into the back of him. can't remember if the lights were on or off on the pace car. hamilton was on the outside of the corner where vettel shunted webber and from what i can see, was not the cause of the accident. he sensibly got out of the way and now may get penalised for it. madness.

it was the no 1 car's prerogative to be in the best position to get the hammer down first on the restart. everyone knows the games involved. the first 3 cars were simply too close to each other. no one else suffered the same fate further down the pack. 2 & 3 both saw an opportunity to try to get the jump on hamilton and paid the price.

on another note, i don't think the championship will be decided this weekend. why? well, the final race is on the 21st and i'm otherwise engaged when it's on, so sod's law dictates that i'll not see it live and probs won't even have the luxury of the dvd recorder doing the correct job.
Old 05-10-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilgas View Post
f1, copyright. same with world rally championship. the wrc claim copyright of all video footage of their product. no doubt the video will be used as evidence.

my viewing of it showed hamilton getting close to the pace car as they approached the corner. he then took a very tight line and moved off line to avoid having to excessively slow down and hence run the risk of webber / vettel running into the back of him. can't remember if the lights were on or off on the pace car. hamilton was on the outside of the corner where vettel shunted webber and from what i can see, was not the cause of the accident. he sensibly got out of the way and now may get penalised for it. madness.

it was the no 1 car's prerogative to be in the best position to get the hammer down first on the restart. everyone knows the games involved. the first 3 cars were simply too close to each other. no one else suffered the same fate further down the pack. 2 & 3 both saw an opportunity to try to get the jump on hamilton and paid the price.

on another note, i don't think the championship will be decided this weekend. why? well, the final race is on the 21st and i'm otherwise engaged when it's on, so sod's law dictates that i'll not see it live and probs won't even have the luxury of the dvd recorder doing the correct job.
There is a lot of F1 footage on You Tube, unless it's all been removed since I last looked!

But yes, the FIA is very possessive of its 'property' - they closed down a very good independent F1 website a few years back because of the unauthorised use of the words F1 and 'Grand Prix'...

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 05-10-07
Forum veteran

Well, whichever way you see the footage, Hamilton's got away with it -

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...781216,00.html

Makes it even more surprising that this particular footage has been "confiscated". Who's trying to hide what?

If/when Hamilton wins the WDC this year, there's going to be so much controversy surrounding it that he'll win it under a shadow.
Old 05-10-07
Forum veteran

Confirmation that Hamilton will not be penalised for erratic driving:

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...781438,00.html

Also good news for Vettel as he's had his penalty withdrawn. The excuse they give for not penalising Hamilton is what prevents them from penalising Vettel - that being the conditions of the track and the weather. It's a little suspicious how the conditions of the track and the weather didn't prevent them from penalising Vettel *before* Hamilton came into the equation.
Old 05-10-07
F1 nutter

Ok now that is sorted lets go racing . Oh I see prodrive may not make it in f1 next year if Frank has anything to do with it
Old 05-10-07
Been here for a while....

Liked at 13 Times in 10 Posts
devilgas is on a distinguished road

prodrive were going to use the mclaren chassis. williams weren't happy as they believe each team should manufacture their own chassis, or summat to that effect. i think it's more to do with a new team about to get one of the 2 best chassis currently in f1. it'd be a shame if prodrive were kept out of it on that basis.
Old 05-10-07
F1 nutter

Quote:
prodrive were going to use the mclaren chassis. williams weren't happy as they believe each team should manufacture their own chassis, or summat to that effect. i think it's more to do with a new team about to get one of the 2 best chassis currently in f1. it'd be a shame if prodrive were kept out of it on that basis.
Sorry but I did know all that. I should have said so. I do not see why not after all we have baby Honda and baby Red Bull.
Old 05-10-07
Admin

Quote:
I very much doubt Williams will be successful. The FIA approved the ProDrive deal and there are already two teams using partner teams' chassis - Aguri Suziki (Honda) and Toro Rosso (Red Bull).

The main difference is that ProDrive have declared that they will be using exactly the same car as McLaren. Toro Rosso use a customised version of the Red Bull chassis, but using different engines and gearbox. Aguri Suzuki use last year's Honda chassis, which has some fairly substantial modifications, though the same engine and, I believe, gearbox as the 2007 Honda.

Maybe ProDrive will be forced to find a different engine or to use last 2007 cars, or Williams (and Spyker, who are complaining too) will get some kind of compensation.

Ian
Old 05-10-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearface is on a distinguished road

Not content with the impact his childish tantrums, babyish rants and puerile behaviour (both on and off track...) has had on the team this season, Alonso has taken things to new levels of ridiculousness with his veiled claims that McLaren are doctoring his car to favour Hamilton...

When I think of the stick (some of it very bitter indeed) people have given to Schumacher for his past transgressions and compare it to the distinct silence that follows each and every Alonso-ism (and there have been plenty of them this season alone...), it makes me realise how people simply see what they want to see, not what is actually taking place
Old 05-10-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Not content with the impact his childish tantrums, babyish rants and puerile behaviour (both on and off track...) has had on the team this season, Alonso has taken things to new levels of ridiculousness with his veiled claims that McLaren are doctoring his car to favour Hamilton...

When I think of the stick (some of it very bitter indeed) people have given to Schumacher for his past transgressions and compare it to the distinct silence that follows each and every Alonso-ism (and there have been plenty of them this season alone...), it makes me realise how people simply see what they want to see, not what is actually taking place
i think if I were in Ron Dennises shoes, I would be seriously considering taking him off the team with immediate effect!
Old 06-10-07
Admin

Tim, I'm no Alonso fan and I certainly don't condone any driver bad-mouthing anyone. I do respect his record and I believe he is more talented on the track than you do - which is fair enough, we're all allowed our personal opinions. My only observation is that most of the negative reports that have been attributed to Alonso are second hand in newspapers. Whenever he's interviewed on TV he usually denies the allegations, or occasionally admits when something went too far. ~So maybe he's two-faced - I don't know for sure; who does?

I really don't want to re-start the Schumacher debate, but suffice to say, the situation is very different - Alonso has had to endure a team mate who is at least his equal and probably better. It does seem to have brought the worst out in Alonso, which is unfortunate.

Ian
Old 06-10-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Tim, I'm no Alonso fan and I certainly don't condone any driver bad-mouthing anyone. I do respect his record and I believe he is more talented on the track than you do - which is fair enough, we're all allowed our personal opinions. My only observation is that most of the negative reports that have been attributed to Alonso are second hand in newspapers. Whenever he's interviewed on TV he usually denies the allegations, or occasionally admits when something went too far. ~So maybe he's two-faced - I don't know for sure; who does?

I really don't want to re-start the Schumacher debate, but suffice to say, the situation is very different - Alonso has had to endure a team mate who is at least his equal and probably better. It does seem to have brought the worst out in Alonso, which is unfortunate.

Ian
I'm not trying to re-ignite the Schumacher debate either, but I am trying to make a point, which I think I did. Schumacher's genius was ignored by many people, while his transgressions (which you can count on the fingers of one hand over his entire career...) were regularly and gleefully highlighted - often with little regard for circumstances or context.

However in Alonso's case, his transgressions this season alone (and I'm not even referring to rumours or hearsay......just the things that have been witnessed and verified...) have been numerous and wholly unsporting. And unlike Schumacher (and this is not merely a personal opinion!) Alonso is not a driving genius or anything of the sort. His consistency - which he admittedly has in droves - and his overall package (the Renault / Michelin combo was the best in 2005 and in 2006 the Renault was simply the best car) took him to two world championships, but as far as latent talent is concerned, he can't hold a candle to Hamilton and Raikonnen, let alone Schumacher. Few people would argue with that...

Schuey didn't have to endure a team-mate of equal standing because (a) he knew - as did Ferrari - that it would never work, and (b) the only drivers who could've run him close were Raikonnen and Hamilton and as he retired before that arrangement could even have become theoretically possible, we'll never really know what might've been. Suffice to say that the equality thing has never worked for McLaren (least of all this season...), so it's fairly easy to see why other teams avoid such an arrangement.