Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > DPNow Salon Competition

DPNow Salon Competition
A fortnightly themed photo competition run by DPNow forum users for forum users. A curator chooses the theme and picks the winner and then becomes the new curator. It could be you!

Old 13-03-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
spl is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (no.12)

Torty having a meal - her favourite food too
Old 14-03-07
Another deadbeat wannabe

guymclaren is on a distinguished road

I was walking the dog with my brand new EOS400, a special day yet a day in the life of me.

Old 14-03-07
Forum veteran

Goatsmilkuk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Goatsmilkuk

Great shots have been submitted, if you have not uploaded one then go and pick up the camera and get shooting, it's not long till Friday now...

It could be YOU
Old 14-03-07
Forum veteran

Jocelyn Walker is on a distinguished road

Bearface, your amazing wit & incredible imagination has me in awe! You remind me of a journo, (you know the type...sits in the back office, fagends all over the show, a boozy stubble on his face from a 3 day growth, when he was last home! A half full bottle o scotch next to his side....feet up on the desk...& a wry smile!) A scoop me laddee!! Or an advertizing boff! LOL! Jokes aside! I admire your work & can imagine most people to be hardpressed to equal let alone beat the standard you set! (Just my OHHO)
Old 14-03-07
Forum veteran

Sorry...just thought Mike had no pic included & spl is a female ...but yep, I take your point & thanks for the advice Coupekid!
Old 14-03-07
Forum veteran

Bearface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn Walker View Post
Bearface, your amazing wit & incredible imagination has me in awe! You remind me of a journo, (you know the type...sits in the back office, fagends all over the show, a boozy stubble on his face from a 3 day growth, when he was last home! A half full bottle o scotch next to his side....feet up on the desk...& a wry smile!) A scoop me laddee!! Or an advertizing boff! LOL! Jokes aside! I admire your work & can imagine most people to be hardpressed to equal let alone beat the standard you set! (Just my OHHO)

Jocelyn, I'm sincerely very flattered by your comments; thank you so much! In terms of the overall standards so far in this salon, I think there are several high-quality entries which could easily be considered closer to the brief than my own, so despite your (very welcome!) praise, I won't be holding my breath...

To be honest, I have looked back at this submission and wondered whether it might've conveyed more if I'd simply posted the photo (minus the magazine-cover bits and pieces), but it seemed like a decent idea when I posted it, so I'll take my chances.

Loved your image of the boozy hack in his office, btw...
Old 14-03-07
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post

Loved your image of the boozy hack in his office, btw...
Hey hey that was the original plan for a photo wasn't it Tim Just couldn't find a willing subject

Check out my BLOG too

Old 14-03-07
Forum veteran

Well Bearface, I'm pleased that you didn't take offence to my joking characiture (Spelling sus?) To be honest, I've been fortunate enough in my life to have actually come into contact before with some journo's that resembled that bill! They were phenomenal photojournalists of South Africa's leading Newspapers. However, you are welcome to the non joking admiration of your work! BTW I tried having a go at doing my reply via quote etc as advised & could not fathom how to get rid of all the other forum comments! Maybe this old -art...me...needs some advice how to work it...please!
Old 14-03-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Hey hey that was the original plan for a photo wasn't it Tim Just couldn't find a willing subject

Well I could've done a self-shot (which was the plan), but then I remembered I did that last time...
Old 14-03-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn Walker View Post
Well Bearface, I'm pleased that you didn't take offence to my joking characiture (Spelling sus?) To be honest, I've been fortunate enough in my life to have actually come into contact before with some journo's that resembled that bill! They were phenomenal photojournalists of South Africa's leading Newspapers. However, you are welcome to the non joking admiration of your work! BTW I tried having a go at doing my reply via quote etc as advised & could not fathom how to get rid of all the other forum comments! Maybe this old -art...me...needs some advice how to work it...please!

If you hit the "quote" tab (instead of the reply button) you get the entire quote of the person you wish to reply to. If you then delete the irrelevant bits between the quote tabs (or cut and past them to make multiple quotes, remembering to surround each piece with the necessary quote and unquote code, you can then type your reply / replies and post as normal. Plus you can always use the preview tab to check your post before committing it
Old 15-03-07
Forum veteran

My entry to salon 12 Everyday Life, entitled 'Cellular Date'! Unfortunately I've not had time to go out photographing for a while & have taken an old pic & changed it to mono.
Old 16-03-07
Forum veteran

Martin is on a distinguished road

Just ringing to say the train was late ......

Martin

Old 17-03-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Here is my entry. I only realised at 11.30pm that the dead line was in 30 minutes.

"Everyday Life in Cuba"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Last edited by Autumn; 17-03-07 at 10:24 AM. Reason: To add title
Old 17-03-07
Forum veteran

Goatsmilkuk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Goatsmilkuk

First off, thanks to all who have submitted photo's over that past two weeks.

Here we go then

Mee - Great capture like the way you have the concentration on their face even though the eyes are out of view.

Pol - Like the idea here, as it is part of life, I like the bloke on the far right who seems to be waiting for his other half I know that feeling.

Tom - The way the bloke his washing his hair and the group are just chatting without any of them watching him, must be everyday life for them.

Coupekid - I think my mate would agree with you on this one, he has to keep flying to Turkey every other week for business, so it's everyday life for you both there.

Archangel - Reminds me of days relaxing on holiday when visiting other countries, but I like the way it's an everyday situation for you living there.

Rogleale - She seems to be doing some trade there, hope it's everyday for her.

Cowcrzy06 - Looks like a long hard day to be working that late, then no doubt up early next day.

Mike Parr - Thanks for this entry, reminds me of my Saturday job when I used to get up before the birds ride my BMX for miles and clean out the horses before my riding lessons.

Stephen - Fish and Chips mmmmm, has to be done when at the seaside, it's a must and is everyday life there without a doubt.

Bearface - Fantastic I love this, reading the 'cover' I really want to open this mag up and get inside, looks very Viz like.

Spl - Imagine that being your everyday, eating flowers. Perhaps they should serve them with curry could save on air freshener the next day

Guymclaren - Awwwww, looks lovely. Thats a nice everyday and an insight to your life out there.

Jocelyn - He looks like he has been stood up and is still waiting, I hope it's not everyday for his sake.

Martin - The daily commute, everyone running late all out for themselves, manners and helping others at a minimum is what I imagine here.

Autumn - I like this but I would love it if there had been people on each balcony chatting across to each other, I can imagine that happening everyday.

Now opening a gold envolope, drum roll please...

The Winner of Salon No.12 is

Andrew Thatcher -
It just sums up everyday life for a lot of people all over the world, everyone I speak to goes on about the traffic and the drive to and from work, also since I have been unable to drive for a while, when getting back to 'everyday life' I found that driving has become one of the main things I do and being able to do it I feel free again.
The picture really is worth a thousand words.....

Thanks to all I have enjoyed the shots.

So Andrew it's over to you, copy the rules across for the lucky for some number 13 Salon.

Right I'm off to fit the kitchen or it will be Fish and Chips for tea.

Stu
Old 17-03-07
Happy Snapper

Liked at 185 Times in 122 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

Well done to all, and of course particularly to Andrew - know that scene well!

Have only had time to read lately and not post much - too much work makes Caz a dull and crackered woman.

And can't post the only photos I've taken this week - don't think anyone else would be too interested in shots of my pranged car!

Congratulations again to Andrew

Caz