Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > DPNow Salon Competition

DPNow Salon Competition
A fortnightly themed photo competition run by DPNow forum users for forum users. A curator chooses the theme and picks the winner and then becomes the new curator. It could be you!

Old 20-01-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.9)

Good point Martin - I've re-read the conditions and the picture has to be specially shot, which means my own 'entry' is invalid, d'Oh!!

Back to the drawing board

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 20-01-07
Admin

Ah well, - just re-read the conditions and I overlooked (forgot, actually - it had been mentioned to me before) that the picture has to have been shot especially for this salon. My time machine isn't finished yet so I didn't go bac 75-odd years to take my picture

Consider this one just for academic interest and I'll see if I can produced something more compliant

Ian
Old 20-01-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Martin is on a distinguished road

I wasn't so sure about that Ian. After reading Bearface's later postings I thought a touch of ambiguity had crept in, hence my question.

Martin
Old 20-01-07
Forum veteran

Archangel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
I wasn't so sure about that Ian. After reading Bearface's later postings I thought a touch of ambiguity had crept in, hence my question.

Martin

I saw Tim's second post about the photo being taken at any time.
Though given his first statment, I assumed by saying "anytime" he probably meant any time during day or night, since also day or night are related to time.
I'm not an English native speaker so I don't know if the title "Ageless" (if exists) would make more sense instead of "Timeless" which is maybe more strict in terms of time, including time on a daily basis.

So, my assumption (if correct) is that photo should be taken at any time during the day or night but without showing specific objects that denote age/era discrepancies, between different objects in the same photo.

Though and no matter of our personal assumptions, Tim is the most appropriate person to answer on this.

Regards

George
Old 20-01-07
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

If I may just step in here in Tim's absence... and having been involved in the development of the Salon idea, along with Stephen (as a result of both of us using a Salon elsewhere)

The idea is that everyone should apply their own individual interpretation of the title of the theme. In this salon the theme is "TIMELESS" .... therefore you should go ahead and take a shot which represents your own interpretation .. ie what "Timeless" means to you personally.

Tim is the curator - so he specified the shots shouldn't be from an archive, he asked we should think about it and enter a shot we've taken specifically for the theme.

That's it. That's the basic principle of all the Salons. the curator chooses a theme (not a specific subject as such, as that can be too limiting and not as stimulating or thought-provoking - but a theme which is a sort of challenge to interpretation, artistic and/or emotional - in the photographic sense.

For example - Stephen's 'Blue' theme could be interpreted as Blue the colour, Blue as in Blue Movie, Blue as in sad and blue, blue as in blue with the cold . etc. the curator will then make his/her judgement according to interpretation, as well as presentation, technical skill or whatever.

The salons are all about stretching the imagination, also interesting to see how different people interpret the different themes. Stretching the mind and stimulating us to think about different ways of seeing thinking about things, seeing things, feeling things and portraying those thoughts in a visual/photographic way.

I hope that all makes sense. I know there are others here who have and do use the same salon(s) Stephen and I have used - so I'm hoping those people (bigbob,Lumix,pops et al) will also help in explaining the general idea of the Salons.

Have fun, that's the main thing.

Pol
Old 20-01-07
Admin

Thanks, Pol - there is clearly some ambiguity in what Tim was saying in the two separate posts (shoot specifically for the salon and 'any time'), but it's worth emphasising that one shouldn't get too hung up on the rules - get stuck in, enjoy taking some pix and post your best effort

Ian
Old 20-01-07
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Thanks, Pol - there is clearly some ambiguity in what Tim was saying in the two separate posts (shoot specifically for the salon and 'any time'), but it's worth emphasising that one shouldn't get too hung up on the rules - get stuck in, enjoy taking some pix and post your best effort

Ian

Past experience has shown that problems (and neurosis ) arises when peeps are wanting and asking for too much explanation. One mailing list salon I've used asks for only the photo - no explanations, no suggestion of explanation even in the title of the photo. The idea is that the photo should be able to convey the interpretation of the theme on its own strength. It's a toughie, usually much too tough for me - especially when the theme is something such as "Sedition"

There's nothing in the rules to say you can't use a dictionary to consider various meanings of the theme title ... hint, hint.

Pol
Old 20-01-07
Forum veteran

Tinka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
I saw Tim's second post about the photo being taken at any time.
Though given his first statment, I assumed by saying "anytime" he probably meant any time during day or night, since also day or night are related to time.
I'm not an English native speaker so I don't know if the title "Ageless" (if exists) would make more sense instead of "Timeless" which is maybe more strict in terms of time, including time on a daily basis.

So, my assumption (if correct) is that photo should be taken at any time during the day or night but without showing specific objects that denote age/era discrepancies, between different objects in the same photo.

Though and no matter of our personal assumptions, Tim is the most appropriate person to answer on this.

Regards

George
Hi all,
My personal take and opinion on the subject:
"Timeless" this is usually taken to mean that to an onlooker, a picture could have been taken in the 1930s 1940s 0r later or earlier or in any era, there should not be any evidence of any era at all, modern or otherwise, to give the game away. It should be ageless and at home in any era.
Old 20-01-07
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinka View Post
Hi all,
My personal take and opinion on the subject:
"Timeless" this is usually taken to mean that to an onlooker, a picture could have been taken in the 1930s 1940s 0r later or earlier or in any era, there should not be any evidence of any era at all, modern or otherwise, to give the game away. It should be ageless and at home in any era.

Once again - the general idea of the Salon is that everyone should just go ahead and post a picture of their own interpretation of the theme.

The idea is NOT to discuss the meaning of the title word or theme - the idea is to think about it and post a picture of your interpretation.

Ideally, there should no need to go to great lengths to explain the meaning behind your picture either. The picture should speak for itself, ideally. the picture should convey how you interpreted the meaning of the theme.

Can we please stop discussing semantics and just get on with the *visual/photographic* interpretation of what 'timeless' means to you.

Pol
Old 20-01-07
Forum veteran

Talking Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Once again - the general idea of the Salon is that everyone should just go ahead and post a picture of their own interpretation of the theme.

The idea is NOT to discuss the meaning of the title word or theme - the idea is to think about it and post a picture of your interpretation.

Ideally, there should no need to go to great lengths to explain the meaning behind your picture either. The picture should speak for itself, ideally. the picture should convey how you interpreted the meaning of the theme.

Can we please stop discussing semantics and just get on with the *visual/photographic* interpretation of what 'timeless' means to you.

Pol
Sorry Mum.
Here ya are then, My entry.
Old 20-01-07
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Sorry Mum.
LOL .....

Nice entry, son.

Mummy
Old 20-01-07
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry Mum.
I'll hit 'im for yer Pol

Oh and btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface
Firstly, the image you enter must be photographed especially for this salon competition; no archived images this time!

Check out my BLOG too

Old 20-01-07
Forum veteran

Martin is on a distinguished road

and I thought I was only asking a innocent simple question.

martin
Old 20-01-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'll hit 'im for yer Pol

Oh and btw
Firstly, the image you enter must be photographed especially for this salon competition; no archived images this time!

Yer I know, this image was and is an image taken and processed, specifically for entry into comps requireing ageless, timeless, day or night_time, era free images.
Old 20-01-07
joefoto

Tim,

My entry was especially prepared for this competition, but was from a shot last May. You may wish to disqualify my entry.

Joe