Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Computer conundrums

Computer conundrums Digital photographers rely on the smooth running of their personal computers. Here's where to discuss problems and seek, as well as provide, advice.

Old 08-01-07

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
chopper is on a distinguished road
Angry burning to cd

Hi

had a digital camera for christmas, that part is fine, in fact quite pleased at how quick i got the hang of it etc.

problem is that when i put a cd in the cd writer and burn new pictures off computer when i click next it says insert blank cd or cd writable disk in. it is as if it doesnt recognise there is a disk in but i dont know why, what i dont want is hundreds of discs with only a few pics on each, so am i doing something wrong?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

kindest regards

chopper
Old 08-01-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: burning to cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Hi

had a digital camera for christmas, that part is fine, in fact quite pleased at how quick i got the hang of it etc.

problem is that when i put a cd in the cd writer and burn new pictures off computer when i click next it says insert blank cd or cd writable disk in. it is as if it doesnt recognise there is a disk in but i dont know why, what i dont want is hundreds of discs with only a few pics on each, so am i doing something wrong?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

kindest regards

chopper
Hi Chopper,

Sounds like the 'drivers' relating to the burner arent present to me.

If you dont want hundreds of discs, I would advise to do the same as I, (and many others photographers on this forum) and invest in an external hard drive. In the long run it will be a lot cheaper!

A 250GB external drive will cost you around 70 pounds. Its an excellent way to back up your pictures, and a lot more convenient.

If you are still struggling, post the information about what operating system you are running, what pc, external hard drive etc, and I will try and help, but it should be a case of looking on line for the relevent drive, installing it, then you should be fine. If you are running Windows XP, it should be a case of popping in a blank disc, and then waiting for the promt though.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 08-01-07

in the internal cd writer works with everything else, using the cameras Ulead programme, computer is a compaq presario with windows xp etc, does that help?
Old 08-01-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
in the internal cd writer works with everything else, using the cameras Ulead programme, computer is a compaq presario with windows xp etc, does that help?
Hi Chopper and welcome to the DPNow forum!

Which program are you using for writing to the CD drive? Even today there are some incompatibilities between some programs and some writers. Also, is it a DVD writer or just a CD writer drive?

Are you using brand new discs or adding to a disc that has been already partially filled?

CD/DVD is not recommended as a safe, long term, primary storage medium. It's OK as a back up, but I would keep the originals on your hard drive as well.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 08-01-07
lumix

If you intend to add files to your disk at a later date be sure you don't let the writer software close the disk. If you do you will not be-able to use the disk other than to read from it. I use DVD as my storage as they hold far more than a CD.
Old 08-01-07
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
If you intend to add files to your disk at a later date be sure you don't let the writer software close the disk. If you do you will not be-able to use the disk other than to read from it. I use DVD as my storage as they hold far more than a CD.
I much prefer to us one CD per shoot, dont like all my eggs in one basket, if using a DVD means about 10 shoot per disk and it fails then you loose the lot.
Disks ar so cheap its not worth skimping, It's also easier to find what I want with one disk one shoot.

Everything is also backed up to an external H/D plus a H/D copy of that as well.

Patrick
Old 08-01-07
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I much prefer to us one CD per shoot, dont like all my eggs in one basket, if using a DVD means about 10 shoot per disk and it fails then you loose the lot.
Disks ar so cheap its not worth skimping, It's also easier to find what I want with one disk one shoot.

Everything is also backed up to an external H/D plus a H/D copy of that as well.

Patrick
I like your way of thinking Patrick but I can't see myself cataloguing and storing that many cd's. I backup strait off the camera and then again after editing. So far so good never lost a disk but now I've said that you can bet something will go wrong. Sod's law and all that.
Old 09-01-07

HI

i called into PC world today as i had to take a keyboard back my nephew didnt want, and asked the guy on the advice counter and it seems it is becuase i am using CD-R discs rather that CD-RW, im too tired to try now, but thanks for all the help.

regards
Old 09-01-07
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HI

i called into PC world today as i had to take a keyboard back my nephew didnt want, and asked the guy on the advice counter and it seems it is becuase i am using CD-R discs rather that CD-RW, im too tired to try now, but thanks for all the help.

regards
They never cease to amaze me

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-01-07

in what way?
Old 09-01-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

I think Stephen possibly thinks you were given bad advice. But it really depends on the way you were using your discs. CD-R is write-once (though this can be over a number of sessions), basically once the disc is full, it can't be erased and re-used. And you can't delete files and make space either.

CD-RW is a rewritable media, but it can be used in two ways; like a CD-R that can be reformatted when you don't need the recorded contents any more, or like a large floppy disk, in packet-writing mode, enabling you to save files, delete to make new space, etc. It's very slow, however.

So it really depends on how you normally use your recordable CDs, which mode and which software.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 09-01-07

I think i will go back to 35mm camera and take the film into be developed it was a lot less mither
Old 09-01-07

ok what am i doing wrong, copied 20 photos to new disc cd-rw took disk out replaced disk in to save another 20 photos and the only option was to firstly erase the 20 i had saved before i could save again.

keith
Old 09-01-07
lumix

Quote:
ok what am i doing wrong, copied 20 photos to new disc cd-rw took disk out replaced disk in to save another 20 photos and the only option was to firstly erase the 20 i had saved before i could save again.

keith
This may help.
1: Did you format the new disk in your machine before copying images to it.
2: Did you select close session or close disk in your setup.
3: If you closed the disk you can't write to it until you reformat the disk.
The above applies to CD-RW disk only.
4: If you are using CD-R type disk you can't erase or format them. They will only let you record to them, so always select close session with this type or you can't add files to it later.
Old 09-01-07

thanks ron
1. no i didnt format disk as that option is greyed out on burn screen
2. yes i selected close session
3. -
4. they are cd-rw disks

keith