Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > DPNow noticeboard

DPNow noticeboard This is where you will find the latest news and updates concerning this site.

Old 03-01-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Question Forum login problems?

There have been reports that when logging in to the forum, several attempts need to be made before you are successfully admitted, even though the user name and password have been correctly entered.

The problem was verified and a remedy, regarding browser cookie handling, has been implemented.

I'd be interested to know if anyone that frequently experiences login problems has noticed an improvement. Please let me know either way, thanks.

A good tip, incidentally, is to use the 'Remember Me' check box so you don't need to log in each time you use the forum or gallery; just stay logged in all the time!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 03-01-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 15 Times in 12 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road
Re: Forum login problems?

Happened to me quite often Ian - especially when accessing the site from work where I didn't particularly want to use cookies. Used to connect on the second or third attempt IIRC. In the end I used the "Remember Me" option - I'll switch it off and see how it goes for a while.

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 04-01-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Archangel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
There have been reports that when logging in to the forum, several attempts need to be made before you are successfully admitted, even though the user name and password have been correctly entered.

The problem was verified and a remedy, regarding browser cookie handling, has been implemented.

I'd be interested to know if anyone that frequently experiences login problems has noticed an improvement. Please let me know either way, thanks.

A good tip, incidentally, is to use the 'Remember Me' check box so you don't need to log in each time you use the forum or gallery; just stay logged in all the time!

Ian

Ian,

As in the past I had notified you about having problems logging in with the first attempt, I got them again now in the last month (after some short period of time that everything was OK). Now I always need 2 minimum - 3 maximum attempts to log in successfully.

Regards

George
Old 04-01-07
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Ian,

As in the past I had notified you about having problems logging in with the first attempt, I got them again now in the last month (after some short period of time that everything was OK). Now I always need 2 minimum - 3 maximum attempts to log in successfully.

Regards

George
Has anything changed in the last couple of hours? I can't reproduced the problem myself at the moment.

Ian
Old 04-01-07
Forum veteran

Archangel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Has anything changed in the last couple of hours? I can't reproduced the problem myself at the moment.

Ian
I just logged out and logged in again to test it Ian, but it seems that the problem still persists. Most of the times (around 90-95% of the times) the system logs me in in the 2nd attempt.

Regards

George
Old 04-01-07
Forum newbie

Scatty is on a distinguished road

Ian
I have also had to log on 2 or 3 times every time I logged in. But have tried it since you e-mailed me and it has worked every time.
Scatty
Old 04-01-07
Happy Snapper

Liked at 185 Times in 122 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

I don't log out at home any more - that seems to work!

However, if I try to log in at work (as at lunch time today) it took me 3 attempts. I'm a typist, don't use the mouse unless I absolutely have to, so if I click in my name, tab down to the password and hit return it usually works on most sites. However, I find that I do need to actually click 'log in' here - and even that can take a couple of attempts.

Caz
Old 04-01-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 15 Times in 12 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road

Just tried half a dozen times and made sure I cleared cookies in between - failed once where I got in on the second attempt. Could have been a mis-typed password though - you just go back back to the forum listing if you get your password wrong (which also I did deliberately to check).

I'll have a go from work tomorrow. It'll be more interesting than writing December's IT Board Report

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 04-01-07
Foxed!

Words is on a distinguished road

Still having problems here this evening.
Old 04-01-07
Admin

Arrow Re: Workaround solution for now

If you are experiencing the multiple login problem there are two solutions at the moment:

1. Use 'Remember Me' when logging in and don't bother to log out at the end of your session. This is not advisable in an insecure area, using a public Internet terminal in a cybercafé, for example, as someone could continue your session and pretend to be you.

2. Avoid using the log-in box on the forum portal page and on the gallery front page.

The forum portal page is the one that lists the latest new posts and the poll on the right hand margin.

The problem is that with this page and the gallery index page, you will usually arrive via a DPNow subdomain and this upsets the cookie system, forcing you to attempt an extra login.

I'm working to fix the problem, but the above should help avoid most instances of the problem for now.

Thanks for your patience!

Ian
Old 04-01-07

res31 is on a distinguished road
Re: Workaround solution for now

Just logged in successfully on second attempt. "Remember me" seems to have kept me logged in while switching to galleries and back again.
...ray
Old 04-01-07
Forum veteran

Tinka is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Ian
Hi Ian, Answered your e-mail, I have always had to log in twice, once in the forum front page and once again when arriving at the forum page proper, this is no major problem and this is not the only site where this has to be done.
Others may not agree but I never use the "remember me method" or stay logged in as this can prove a security risk if other people, "Family/Friends" have access to the computer. I always remove cookies as routine anyway.