Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 18-07-12
Forum veteran

Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mike Parr is on a distinguished road
Re: Lumix 3G

Well Ian,
Its quite interesting, as I tend to use the budget end of the market relying on kit lenses and dare I say it "entry level" bodies, the two cameras are not as you say as different as night and day.
To start with the Panasonic lens does not do justice to the cracking little G3 it lets it down when I consider what the Nikon 18-55 VR produces. The Nikon is smoother and not as soft as the Panasonic.
With regards to sensors I think the Nikon has the edge, less noise as you say and produces punchier images giving better depth to images, on the other hand the the G3 seems more natural and of course the extra pixels do allow tighter cropping whilst maintaining a decent quality

G3

Nikon

Both taken in raw and just a tad sharpened.

Its early days yet with the G3 I haven't even read the manual properly yet its by no means a poor relation to the D5000 and I am sure with practice and experimenting they will match each other overall
Old 18-07-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parr View Post
Well Ian,
Its quite interesting, as I tend to use the budget end of the market relying on kit lenses and dare I say it "entry level" bodies, the two cameras are not as you say as different as night and day.
To start with the Panasonic lens does not do justice to the cracking little G3 it lets it down when I consider what the Nikon 18-55 VR produces. The Nikon is smoother and not as soft as the Panasonic.
With regards to sensors I think the Nikon has the edge, less noise as you say and produces punchier images giving better depth to images, on the other hand the the G3 seems more natural and of course the extra pixels do allow tighter cropping whilst maintaining a decent quality

G3

Nikon

Both taken in raw and just a tad sharpened.

Its early days yet with the G3 I haven't even read the manual properly yet its by no means a poor relation to the D5000 and I am sure with practice and experimenting they will match each other overall
I agree it is early days, but I definitely get the feeling used well, and with care there is not going to be much between the G3 and our bigger cameras.
I thought there may have been a big quality sacrifice with the camera but I'm confident that's not going to be the case.
The important thing I feel is with the two lenses I have it a wide range for daily photography, from dramatic wide angle to reasonably long shots without a big heavy kit to carry. The G3 with the 14-140 fitted weighs less than my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 on its own without being fitted to the 7D. I will carry that around a lot more.

The G10 fetched 200 on eBay so that was 3 years use for 150, mmmm.

Yes Ian I will have a look at the 4/3 forum.

Patrick
Old 28-07-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I agree it is early days, but I definitely get the feeling used well, and with care there is not going to be much between the G3 and our bigger cameras.
I thought there may have been a big quality sacrifice with the camera but I'm confident that's not going to be the case.
The important thing I feel is with the two lenses I have it a wide range for daily photography, from dramatic wide angle to reasonably long shots without a big heavy kit to carry. The G3 with the 14-140 fitted weighs less than my Sigma 24-70 f2.8 on its own without being fitted to the 7D. I will carry that around a lot more.

The G10 fetched 200 on eBay so that was 3 years use for 150, mmmm.

Yes Ian I will have a look at the 4/3 forum.

Patrick

I have now added a 100-300 Panasonic lens to the kit and by Tuesday a GH2 body also a Leica 45 f2.8 macro lens.

Taken the difficult decision and sold all my Canon gear, the lot.

I am finding it simply easier to take pictures with the 4/3 system everything being so much lighter and easy to carry, I feel I can take a full kit out with less weight than the Canon 7D and two lenses. Focusing is lightening fast, quality outstandind, what more can you ask?

Patrick
Old 28-07-12
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have now added a 100-300 Panasonic lens to the kit and by Tuesday a GH2 body also a Leica 45 f2.8 macro lens.

I am finding it simply easier to take pictures with the 4/3 system everything being so much lighter and easy to carry, I feel I can take a full kit out with less weight than the Canon 7D and two lenses. Focusing is lightening fast, quality outstandind, what more can you ask?

Patrick
Crikey! I wonder what Stephen would have said on hearing this! That said, I gave him an Oly E-P1 and he loved using it.

If you are representative of a fair number of Canon EOS DSLR users, they introduced their EOS M not a moment too soon!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 28-07-12
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Patrick
 --- just don't know what to say.

enjoy your new gear. They will also be glad that it is you who use the gears.
yoshi
Old 28-07-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Crikey! I wonder what Stephen would have said on hearing this! That said, I gave him an Oly E-P1 and he loved using it.

If you are representative of a fair number of Canon EOS DSLR users, they introduced their EOS M not a moment too soon!

Ian
The Canon EOS M I fear would not have been a contender, the Oly & Panasonic are designed round the 4/3 sensor the new Canon reads more like a rush job to me. undoubtedly the new OES-M will involve into a excellent system eventually, but Oly & Panasonic are already there.
Interestingly many members of both my clubs have either moved over completely or have added a 4/3 kit mostly it seems to Panasonic. One guy is also a member of a Natural History photo group and over half have moved away from Canon/ Nikon/ Sony to Panasonic selling their big kit.

Patrick