Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Accessories > Lighting - flash and flood

Lighting - flash and flood Flash and continuous lighting of all sorts from studio gear to on-camera flash can be discussed here.

Old 07-02-09
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Graeme is on a distinguished road
What power shoud I buy?

I'm an experienced photographer with 35 years behind me but have never had studio flash lighting gear.

I'm planning some portrait work in domestic situations, individuals, couples, small groups etc. but I also need them for event jobs which can be a little more unpredictable in regard to the subject and the situation!

I've done my research as to the product I'm going for but my question is 200w or 400w? I've found 2 kits for around the same money: 2x 400w with 2x softboxes or 3x 200w with 1x softbox, 1x white/black brolly + collapsible background with stand.

So, any thoughts as to what I should buy?

Any help appreciated...
Old 08-02-09
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: What power shoud I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
I'm an experienced photographer with 35 years behind me but have never had studio flash lighting gear.

I'm planning some portrait work in domestic situations, individuals, couples, small groups etc. but I also need them for event jobs which can be a little more unpredictable in regard to the subject and the situation!

I've done my research as to the product I'm going for but my question is 200w or 400w? I've found 2 kits for around the same money: 2x 400w with 2x softboxes or 3x 200w with 1x softbox, 1x white/black brolly + collapsible background with stand.

So, any thoughts as to what I should buy?

Any help appreciated...
Can you clarify - are you going for continuous lighting in preference to flash?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 08-02-09
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Can you clarify - are you going for continuous lighting in preference to flash?

Ian
It seems to me Graeme is talking about flash.

I have a couple of Elinchron D Lite2 with softboxes. They are extremely lightweight and portable and ideal for portraiture. 200W is plenty powerful enough for this sort of work. However if as you say you may need them for events where possibly more power is needed, then the 400W modules may be better. Have to say a third light is sometimes useful though and the collapsible background may be worth having

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-02-09
Forum newbie

Graeme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It seems to me Graeme is talking about flash.

I have a couple of Elinchron D Lite2 with softboxes. They are extremely lightweight and portable and ideal for portraiture. 200W is plenty powerful enough for this sort of work. However if as you say you may need them for events where possibly more power is needed, then the 400W modules may be better. Have to say a third light is sometimes useful though and the collapsible background may be worth having
No Ian it is a studio flash set up I'm looking at; I should have expressed the power of the kits I'm looking at in 'Ws'. Sorry about that.

As you might expect Stephen, I'm on a budget, so I'm trying to get the most 'bang (flexibility and usability) for my buck ()'. If the 200Ws outfit will fulfill my needs, the 3rd light would be handy and the background of course; my weigh up is whether I could get away with them for the secondary use of some events bearing in mind that doesn't need very rapid recycling so it wouldn't hurt too much if they were running flat out.

I like the D Lite's but the Elinchrom quirks are a shame; 7mm brolly stem rather than 8 and not using the, rather more freely available and cheaper, 'S' mount accessories.

How do you think 200Ws lights would fare in the event application?
Old 11-03-09
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

kennykodak is on a distinguished road

i like Elinchroms. i have several different models but i enjoy the freedom of the Ranger the most. 1100ws that you put up anywhere without electric. they are releasing a new generation which is lighter and smaller and i can't wait. with the higher ISO's and reduced noise featured on newer cameras, large power packs no longer a necessity. i agree about the shaft size on umbrellas forcing one to buy theirs but other than that, no problems. i been a user of their gear for over ten years now. only problem was a flash tube burning out.
before them i used Comet out of Japan. they make a fine product as well.