Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Did you hear about...

Did you hear about... Talk about (almost) anything, within reason and it can - even should - be about something not directly related to photography.

Old 21-10-06
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Police RANT!

Dipped beam should be enough, surely? Coming back from Aylesbury this afternoon on the A41 bypass I'd just passed a car, saw a bike doing over a ton behind be (believe me - I'm not exaggerating as I knew what I was doing!) so I started to move back to the inside lane and in the corner of my eye I could see him moving left as well - rememeber - he was doing at least 20mph more than me. I thought, what the...!

He passed me on the right and then proceeded to pass the two cars in front of me (who were faster than me too) on the inside, cutting up the first in the process to avoid a car in the inside lane he was about to pass - the biker was basically treating us all like a high-speed moving slalom course. He'd already decided to pass me on the inside but had to change his mind at the last second as I moved over to let him pass. He didn't have any lights on.

I'm sure that all good bikers would disassociate themselves from this individual, but unfortunately there are far too many like this one on the roads, lights on or not.

In the morning on the way out, we passed through an accident black spot with a sign saying there had been 88 accidedents involving injury in the last so many years and the last sentence read: 'including 31 motorcyclists'. Not in the least bit surprised.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 23-10-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Fair enough Bearface.
Maybe there should be some law for bikes then, whereby if they are cruising along a motorway behind you, they put their lights on main beam, as opposed to full beam.
There is a law against dazzling fellow road-users with headlights, which applies to everyone whether they're on a bike or not. Personally I find it as annoying when a biker does it as I do when anyone else does it, but in the case of bikers I can at least understand their motives. Boy racers in Subaru Imprezas or Golf GTIs with their Xenons on full tilt in addition to their fog lights (although NEVER when it's actually foggy...) have no excuses, whereas at least those on bikes just want to be seen.
Old 23-10-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Dipped beam should be enough, surely?
Well for most bikers, it's all that they use. Is it enough? Well apparently it isn't, hence the reason why we're seeing more and more "Think! Bike!" public awareness commercials on our screens. Out in their safe, comfortable cars these days, it seems that some people are far too busy looking at sat nav screens or chatting into mobiles to be worried about double-checking before they join a road or turn right. When you're on a bike, you're pretty much in a constant state of alert and therefore you tend to ride defensively as a result.

Quote:
I'm sure that all good bikers would disassociate themselves from this individual, but unfortunately there are far too many like this one on the roads, lights on or not.
There are - as with car drivers - far too many lunatic bikers on our roads. The truth is however, that it's drunk/disqualified/inexperienced/criminal car drivers doing most of the killing and maiming on those roads, not the bikers - they just tend to kill themselves. Obviously there's a difference between those bikers who play things relatively safely by riding considerately, at least in buil areas........and those who appear to have a death wish and show complete disregard for other road users, but the fact remains that even those nutcases are rarely responsible for death or injury to anyone but themselves.

Quote:
In the morning on the way out, we passed through an accident black spot with a sign saying there had been 88 accidedents involving injury in the last so many years and the last sentence read: 'including 31 motorcyclists'. Not in the least bit surprised.
Me neither. The question is, how many of those motorbike-related accidents could have been attributed to the outright lunacy of the bikers as opposed to the carelessness of other road-users?
Old 24-10-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
There is a law against dazzling fellow road-users with headlights, which applies to everyone whether they're on a bike or not. Personally I find it as annoying when a biker does it as I do when anyone else does it, but in the case of bikers I can at least understand their motives. Boy racers in Subaru Imprezas or Golf GTIs with their Xenons on full tilt in addition to their fog lights (although NEVER when it's actually foggy...) have no excuses, whereas at least those on bikes just want to be seen.
Dont get me started on front fog lights!
Front fog lights, with side lights....even worse, one word for people that do that, (and I wouldnt soil Ians forum with expletives )
Old 24-10-06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well for most bikers, it's all that they use. Is it enough? Well apparently it isn't, hence the reason why we're seeing more and more "Think! Bike!" public awareness commercials on our screens. Out in their safe, comfortable cars these days, it seems that some people are far too busy looking at sat nav screens or chatting into mobiles to be worried about double-checking before they join a road or turn right. When you're on a bike, you're pretty much in a constant state of alert and therefore you tend to ride defensively as a result.

There are - as with car drivers - far too many lunatic bikers on our roads. The truth is however, that it's drunk/disqualified/inexperienced/criminal car drivers doing most of the killing and maiming on those roads, not the bikers - they just tend to kill themselves. Obviously there's a difference between those bikers who play things relatively safely by riding considerately, at least in buil areas........and those who appear to have a death wish and show complete disregard for other road users, but the fact remains that even those nutcases are rarely responsible for death or injury to anyone but themselves.

Me neither. The question is, how many of those motorbike-related accidents could have been attributed to the outright lunacy of the bikers as opposed to the carelessness of other road-users?

10% of UK drivers dont have insurance, now theres a statistic for you. Also, tiredness is more of a killer than drunks, or speeders......speeding is in a minority for the cause of accidents, hence the need for more bobbies, and less speed cameras.
Old 24-10-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
10% of UK drivers dont have insurance, now theres a statistic for you. Also, tiredness is more of a killer than drunks, or speeders......speeding is in a minority for the cause of accidents, hence the need for more bobbies, and less speed cameras.
Yup, we need more police on the streets.....can't argue with that.

Those who drive without insurance are idiots, but I'd be interested to see their contribution to road deaths and injuries, compared to those who do have insurance. What angers me about these people isn't how they drive, it's that they choose to drive at the expense of honest, paying drivers...
Old 24-10-06
Forum veteran

Goatsmilkuk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Goatsmilkuk

I wish I had been riding with my high beam on 4 weeks ago, being sat in lane 2, M6 on my bike at very low speed 10 or 15 mph wearing a high vis jacket and twin headlights switched on dipped beam, clear morning, dry and fine.

When a car driver decided not to look, move across from lane 3 cut me up hit me with his wheel arch and break my foot, I'm now stuck at home in a cast and won't return to work for around 4 months, I would much rather have dazzled him a little from his side mirror as he cut across, I had even put a std exhuast on the bike as opposed to the loud one I had which would have let him know I was there, but I did not think it fair to wake my neighbours at 7am each morning with the noise.

As for Police cars, having driven a few on route to some poor woman and kids being beaten up by a drunken dad or the like, it's amazing how many people are in their own world and still can't hear or see all the lights and sirens you can switch on, they just sit there blocking the road adding to the time it takes to get there, I can fully understand why full beams are used. I'm not saying they don't dazzle because they do.

Stu
Old 24-10-06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yup, we need more police on the streets.....can't argue with that.

Those who drive without insurance are idiots, but I'd be interested to see their contribution to road deaths and injuries, compared to those who do have insurance. What angers me about these people isn't how they drive, it's that they choose to drive at the expense of honest, paying drivers...
Well, you can kind of understand why they do, when you think that the fine they get, if they get caught, is so low! A lot of the blame has to go to our stupid laws, as on average, it works out cheaper to drive without insurance and get caught, than to get insured in the first place. However, as an honest driver, its something that I could never do.

The uninsured drivers cost us an 60quid a year on top of our premium. which is ridiculous!

They should fine these drivers VERY heavily to deter them, not just give them a slap on the wrist and measly fine.
Old 24-10-06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatsmilkuk View Post
I wish I had been riding with my high beam on 4 weeks ago, being sat in lane 2, M6 on my bike at very low speed 10 or 15 mph wearing a high vis jacket and twin headlights switched on dipped beam, clear morning, dry and fine.

When a car driver decided not to look, move across from lane 3 cut me up hit me with his wheel arch and break my foot, I'm now stuck at home in a cast and won't return to work for around 4 months, I would much rather have dazzled him a little from his side mirror as he cut across, I had even put a std exhuast on the bike as opposed to the loud one I had which would have let him know I was there, but I did not think it fair to wake my neighbours at 7am each morning with the noise.

As for Police cars, having driven a few on route to some poor woman and kids being beaten up by a drunken dad or the like, it's amazing how many people are in their own world and still can't hear or see all the lights and sirens you can switch on, they just sit there blocking the road adding to the time it takes to get there, I can fully understand why full beams are used. I'm not saying they don't dazzle because they do.

Stu

Thats bad luck Stu! Clearly the driver didnt look in his mirrors, but I still maintain that driving with main beams on a motorway is irresponsible. I know when I have a bike following me with high beams on, I am not so concentrated as I would have been if he hadnt. Sometimes I even wish I had a rear spot light to give him a taste of his own medicine!

As for police cars, I still dont understand even with your explanation. Someone who doesnt get out of the way, with the blues and twos ringing in their ears, are clearly poor road users and having high beams on imho wont make a bit of difference.
Old 24-10-06
Forum veteran

Quote:
As for police cars, I still dont understand even with your explanation. Someone who doesnt get out of the way, with the blues and twos ringing in their ears, are clearly poor road users and having high beams on imho wont make a bit of difference.
Because if you didn't have high beams flashing there would be more people who would be blind to the fact that your either driving up behind them as above, heading for the junction they are just about to pull out of...etc, it's better to have people to see a police car, ambulance, fire engine and get out of the way asap, instead of wasted time or worse a crash that could have been avoided.

It's one of those where drivers of emergency vehicles can't win

If they don't use enough lights sirens etc people will moan as they don't see or hear them and almost or did cause a crash, did not get there on time...

Or use what people think are too many and people moan that it hurts their eyes or takes their concentration away.

It's easy just to move over and let them pass, move your mirror until they have if it's worth it, if from the front overt your eyes whilst maintaining a view of the road, as many do if a driver on a country lane has a headlight out or has the highbeam on either from in front or behind.

Or flash like mad back at em !

You can't please all the people all the time

Stu
Old 24-10-06
Forum veteran

You might like this, or you may not, the one titled Light relief (3rd down) is quite funny, there are some other good ones in there too.

It seems quite apt with the topic being bright lights.

http://www.b3ta.com/questions/roadrage/

Stu