Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 31-07-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
himmelblau is on a distinguished road
Grey Mare's Tail Waterfall

I'm back for another try so be gentle

Taken with a Nikon D200 and 18-200mm VR lens handheld (for some reason the image information is shown on the camera but not when I upload it to my computer) checking the image in the camera the water is the only part that is shown as blown.

I used auto levels in Photoshop and adjusted the image size; if I use Nikon Capture NX, I end up with a totally different coloured image?

The largest file is 293.8kb and as per the forum posting rules is too large to post here...........sorry

Brian

Old 31-07-07
Expert Photo Fumbler

Steve40 is on a distinguished road
Re: Grey Mare's Tail Waterfall

Water Falls are notorious for blowing out, Which once done is next to impossible to correct. You can get closer, with more water than surroundings in the image, works sometimes.

You can meter on the water, makes surroundings dark!. But I like to get them on overcast days, real early, or late (I know not always possible). If you find a way to make perfect water fall images, let me know.

Sounds like Nikon FX is using a different color calibration curve than PS, or your computer. Usually can be set somewhere in the program. I have looked at N-FX but not enough to inform you.
Old 31-07-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmelblau View Post
I'm back for another try so be gentle

Taken with a Nikon D200 and 18-200mm VR lens handheld (for some reason the image information is shown on the camera but not when I upload it to my computer) checking the image in the camera the water is the only part that is shown as blown.

I used auto levels in Photoshop and adjusted the image size; if I use Nikon Capture NX, I end up with a totally different coloured image?

The largest file is 293.8kb and as per the forum posting rules is too large to post here...........sorry

Brian
Hi Brian, the 200K limit is for attached images; you can upload and display images larger than that in your gallery. However, there is usually no need to have JPEG files much larger than 200K if you are uploading to web resolution (around 700 or 800 pixels wide or 600 or 700 pixels tall if it's a tall image)

Nice waterfall - where did you take this?

Did you mean the VR information wasn't shown on your computer or any shooting information?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 01-08-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Brian, the 200K limit is for attached images; you can upload and display images larger than that in your gallery. However, there is usually no need to have JPEG files much larger than 200K if you are uploading to web resolution (around 700 or 800 pixels wide or 600 or 700 pixels tall if it's a tall image)

Nice waterfall - where did you take this?

Did you mean the VR information wasn't shown on your computer or any shooting information?

Ian
Hi Ian,

I did upload a larger image to my gallery; I was being careful, as it has been awhile since I posted a photo on the forum

Grey Mare’s Tail
A708, Near Moffat, Dumfries & Galloway - Scotland.

The Grey Mare’s Tail is a spectacular waterfall with a drop of 61m (200 ft). The whole area around these falls belongs to the National Trust for Scotland and is rich in wild flowers. Wild goats can sometimes be seen too. The site has significant geological interest and has remained unchanged for hundreds of years. It is also remembered as the site where the Covenanters sought refuge from King Charles II and Episcopalianism in the late 17th Century.

It is the EXIF data that appears to go astray; I've just had an idea that it may because I used a card reader to upload the images to my computer, next time I'll upload from the camera and then check to see if the data is there.

Brian

Old 01-08-07
Forum veteran

"Sounds like Nikon FX is using a different color calibration curve than PS, or your computer. Usually can be set somewhere in the program. I have looked at N-FX but not enough to inform you"

Thanks Steve,

Have checked the Color Management in Preferences in NX and think that's where the problem lies; time to look at the manual me think's

Brian

Old 01-08-07
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmelblau View Post
Hi Ian,

I did upload a larger image to my gallery; I was being careful, as it has been awhile since I posted a photo on the forum

Grey Mare’s Tail
A708, Near Moffat, Dumfries & Galloway - Scotland.

The Grey Mare’s Tail is a spectacular waterfall with a drop of 61m (200 ft). The whole area around these falls belongs to the National Trust for Scotland and is rich in wild flowers. Wild goats can sometimes be seen too. The site has significant geological interest and has remained unchanged for hundreds of years. It is also remembered as the site where the Covenanters sought refuge from King Charles II and Episcopalianism in the late 17th Century.

It is the EXIF data that appears to go astray; I've just had an idea that it may because I used a card reader to upload the images to my computer, next time I'll upload from the camera and then check to see if the data is there.

Brian
The card reader won't make any difference in this respect, Brian.

What software are you using?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 01-08-07
Forum veteran

"What software are you using?"

When I use the card reader, I tend to use Windows Scanner and Camera upload wizard. I am just trying something to see if that works.

Old 01-08-07
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Brian, I've looked at this photo several times now and waited to see what others have to say, but there has been little in the way of critique yet

I've looked at your larger version too and its confirmed for me at least one thing. Firstly though I think you have found the potential for a good shot of the falls, though I suspect here you were unable to move far from the road. I also suspect that the shot was taken not that far from midday (sticking my neck out here ) and also that the falls face roughly South. Its just that I feel you have not got the best light of the day on the slpoe and falls. There is little contrast and depth to the scene, and the only shadows are under overhangs etc showing the sun was pretty much at its highest point.

You have obviously taken the shot at a relatively slow shutter speed, shown by the blur in the waterfall. By looking at the large version it seems that there is still some camera movement even though the lens was a VR one. The image just doesn't seem as sharp as I would have expected, though some sharpening did help.

If you are concerned about blown highlights in the waterfall then you must underexpose by at least half an EV. If you then selectively lighten areas or add contrast, then I feel you can get a more moody shot. However I can't help feeling that if you had taken it in the morning or late afternoon, it may have been possible to get more depth though natural shadows.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 02-08-07
Forum veteran

Tinka is on a distinguished road

Hi Brian,
One method that I have recently discovered to help in these situations is the HDR method of blending two images of the same subject together, one take is metered for the highlights thus preserving the highlight detail, and one take is metered for the midtones and shadows, thus preserving the midtone and shadow detail. the two images are then blended together to produce the full full dynamic range of tones. This works best for "raw" images, but also for "jpegs" as well. The resulting image, when flattened can be tweeked as normal if required to produce the final image.
Best wishes
Dave.