Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 19-06-07
lumix

Re: Antilimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
We'd also noted and discussed the use of the p/s camera. David feels a p/s camera would be his own ideal choice for such a project - I asked him why and he remarked that he wouldn't want to feel the camera was intrusive either for himself or the possible subjects - just a 'quick click' sort of tool that was inobtrusively capturing spontaneous thoughts and feeling as he went along.

I suppose he has a point there - the camera acting like a sort of quick 'paintrush' tool that's capturing (drawing) small 'sketches' as you pass along life's corridor.

I don't view the site in the same way as I might view photography albums, ie picture by picture. I 'experience' the overall site, though there are certain images that have more impact on me than others.

For me - it's an ongoing experience and contemplation of the artist's days, life, experiences, thoughts, snatches of his moments, colours of his moods, thoughts and environment as he passed through - or sometimes as he reviewed and remembered, prompted by the 'sketches' he'd snatched with his camera.

I also enjoy the overall colour palette of the site because it's soft, pastel and conducive to contemplation, considering the feelings evoked and daydreaming and considering how my own thought and feeling relate and sometimes interlock with the artist.

Y'know how your mind sometimes wanders and you kinda wonder where you've been for the past few minutes? Well Eric allowed us into 'where his mind went' and in doing so, he stimulated my own thoughts, reminded me of transient moments and thoughts from my own past .... and enriched a few ideas and thoughts about the present too.

That's just a small explanation of how the work communicates all sort of emotions, feelings and personal memories to me. I hope that all makes sense and didn't bore anyone rigid.

Pol
Pol I'm glad you have explained how you see it. I guess there are 1000's that would view it the same as you. I have not got an open mind when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm a bit of a stick in the mud type and prefer things to be cut and dried so to speak. Art, fashion, etc. go against the grain for me I'm afraid. I have tried changing my views but for some reason it's just not working. All I can say is good luck to those that enjoy a broader view of life.
Old 19-06-07

Liked at 89 Times in 69 Posts
Kurt is on a distinguished road

Interesting post and images. Some sublime, some challenging, but all interesting.

Here is one of my favourites:

http://homepage.mac.com/frederik.provoost/Menu50.html

What do you think?
Old 19-06-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Interesting post and images. Some sublime, some challenging, but all interesting.

Here is one of my favourites:

http://homepage.mac.com/frederik.provoost/Menu50.html

What do you think?
Hi Kurt

Thanks for the link.

I did look at ALL of them this time and I am afraid they did very little for me. I thought that they were difficult to see and very samey as though he had used the same warp and blur filter on all of them, to differing degrees.

The best section for me was Brugge probably because I like colour photography.

There was a sensitivity in the Flanders gallery, which I could appreciate, but I think it would have been better if the vignetting had been used on the occasional image instead of all of them.

Sorry. One day when I grow up I may be able to appreciate all these images, as the more experienced and professional photographers are able to.

I must try harder.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 19-06-07
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Hi Kurt

Thanks for the link.

I did look at ALL of them this time and I am afraid they did very little for me. I thought that they were difficult to see and very samey as though he had used the same warp and blur filter on all of them, to differing degrees.

The best section for me was Brugge probably because I like colour photography.

There was a sensitivity in the Flanders gallery, which I could appreciate, but I think it would have been better if the vignetting had been used on the occasional image instead of all of them.

Sorry. One day when I grow up I may be able to appreciate all these images, as the more experienced and professional photographers are able to.

I must try harder.
I'm with you again Audrey. Can't say any more than, Gee I must get my cataracts seen to.
Old 19-06-07

Liked at 89 Times in 69 Posts
Kurt is on a distinguished road

I guess you must have to like pin-hole photography to appreciate them.