Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > DPNow noticeboard

DPNow noticeboard This is where you will find the latest news and updates concerning this site.

Old 29-05-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 2 Posts
DennisP is on a distinguished road
Re: Sad announcement concerning Stephen

I like many others on the forum was deeply shocked to read the very sad news of Stephens death. A giant of a man whose presence and contributions on the forum will be sadly missed as he offered advice and criticism in equal measures where they were due, but also glowing complements when you exhibited a picture which met with his approval. I only ever met Stephen once in my early years on the forum when several of DPNow members met at a day's visit to Adobe UK offices near Slough. He lightheartedly pulled my leg at my accent as I am a Lancastrian and he being a Yorkshireman, but I took it all in good part. My sympathies go out to his wife and sons in their loss.
Old 29-05-11
Gina

I'm so saddened by this news, Stephen has been helping me with issues since I started taking photos after my stroke. I've always been so grateful for his time and took all of his critique on board. He didn't mince his words and thank goodness for that, it made me appreciate his advice even more. Although I never met him in person, I will miss him deeply as many others will.

My sincere condolences to his family at this time.

xx Gina xx
Old 29-05-11

Liked at 89 Times in 69 Posts
Kurt is on a distinguished road

This is very sad news. My heartfelt condolences to his family. I have often appreciated his constructive comments on mine and other people's images which were always kindly put and showed good understanding of one's intentions.

He will be missed on this and other forums.

K.
Old 30-05-11

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
grangie is on a distinguished road

As a long time friend of Stephen (we were at college together) I know someone pretty special has left this life. Steve was always mad keen on photography and I remember him getting his first "quality" camera in the early '70s. It was Yashica rage finding model. pretty primitive now but I remember him producing some stunning landscapes with it - we were both geography students and Stephen always had a understanding and affinity for our landscape which was such a feature of many of his pictures. As Ian has said Steve had lived with his condition for many years but he never let this get him down and was one of the most generous of men. Travelling anywhere with Steve was always a photographic education and he had knack of reducing complex subjects into easily understood basics. I know that DP Now was a huge part of his life and he really enjoyed helping,advising and meeting so many members.

My thoughts go out to Kathy,James and Leo. Sleep well pal!
Old 30-05-11
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

I am very very saddened to hear this news.
In years gone by Stephen was my mentor in another forum and I benefited immensley from his friendly guidance.

My condolences go to his family and friends

R I P Stephen
Old 30-05-11
Admin

Liked at 247 Times in 195 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangie View Post
As a long time friend of Stephen (we were at college together) I know someone pretty special has left this life. Steve was always mad keen on photography and I remember him getting his first "quality" camera in the early '70s. It was Yashica rage finding model. pretty primitive now but I remember him producing some stunning landscapes with it - we were both geography students and Stephen always had a understanding and affinity for our landscape which was such a feature of many of his pictures. As Ian has said Steve had lived with his condition for many years but he never let this get him down and was one of the most generous of men. Travelling anywhere with Steve was always a photographic education and he had knack of reducing complex subjects into easily understood basics. I know that DP Now was a huge part of his life and he really enjoyed helping,advising and meeting so many members.

My thoughts go out to Kathy,James and Leo. Sleep well pal!
It had crossed my mind that knowing there was a threat of recurring cancer that maybe Stephen's attitude to life changed and maybe this is why he was so full of life and made good use of all his time? You will know how, if at all, he changed after his diagnosis? Whatever, as the mounting number of tributes tell - he was definitely a special person.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 30-05-11
F1 nutter

Liked at 59 Times in 48 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road

I am shocked and saddened by this news. Also not very good with words but epically at times like this but would like to say a few.

I only knew Stephen like many I guess from this site and am sorry that I never met him. He was always very helpful and one of those rare people who it was not all about him. I spoke to him many times when I was thinking of upgrading my camera a few ago as he had the same model I was looking at getting nothing was to much trouble. Also if I posted a picture and he had posted a reply to it I knew even if he did not like it I would get some helpful feedback on it. I also looked forward to his post as his work was outstanding.

I can now only echo what the others have said above about him and how he will be missed. My condolences go to his family and friends.

R I P Stephen
Old 30-05-11
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
... Whatever, as the mounting number of tributes tell - he was definitely a special person.

Ian
I'll second that!

Stephen had such wonderful presence, such a huge personality, such an unforgettable character - he made an enormous impact here.

I keep expecting to see his name appear in the list of today's visitors. He's still here and he always will be as far as I'm concerned. People like Stephen never really leave us.

Pol
Old 30-05-11
Forum veteran

Bearface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
I keep expecting to see his name appear in the list of today's visitors.
Yeah, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
He's still here and he always will be as far as I'm concerned. People like Stephen never really leave us.
That's a really heart-warming sentiment. I was saying to my other half eariler today that so many of my own photographs were taken when I was out on a 'jolly' with Steve, that there'll undoubtedly be hundreds of individual memories of the big fella when I eventually sit down and sift through my archives. As you say, such people never really leave us...

For the time being, seeing Steve's big grin from the behind his camera at the head of this tribute thread and imagining how overwhelmed he'd be by all these heartfelt tributes is enough for me.
Old 30-05-11
Smile!

ekkl is on a distinguished road

I have only just read this and I am shocked. I just can't believe it, I don't know what to say.

R.I.P Stephen.
Old 30-05-11
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Sad announcement concerning Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post

For the time being, seeing Steve's big grin from the behind his camera at the head of this tribute thread and imagining how overwhelmed he'd be by all these heartfelt tributes is enough for me.
It's a wonderful picture, eh. Warm, cheerful and reaching out to everybody. Big fella, big smile, big heart. That's 'Yorkie'.

My Dad died 31 years ago this w/e. He was also a big fella with a big smile and a warm heart. I still talk to him, still feel his presence all around me.

So I'm not about to stop talking to Stephen and nor should you or he might start to feel rejected.

Pol
Old 31-05-11
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Dreadful news. I have just heard about Stephen and find it very upsetting and unfair that such a talent has left us so early.

Whilst learning my hobby, it was always Stephen that I would look for, for critique as he had a definate no nonsense approach to telling you how it is, which is, lets be honest, what everyone needs to improve their game.

Stephen was always so generous with his time in helping 'newbies' improve their game with his passion, knowledge and enthusiasm toward photography.

I am just so sorry that I never got the chance to meet stephen in person to
thank him for his tuition, time, and inspiration.

The photography world will be a far lesser place without him.

My thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.
Old 01-06-11
What the *%&

Andrew Thatcher is on a distinguished road

Been away for the bank hols so just found out about this. Very sad news indeed. Stephen was a rare person, someone who would always tell you the truth about your images. I first met Stephen a few years back now and always had a great time when out shooting together. He was one of the nicest people i think i have ever met. I'll miss him. Not a lot more i can say.

Here's one image of him (And Tim) that i think he liked.

Last edited by Andrew Thatcher; 01-06-11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-06-11
Admin

Liked at 247 Times in 195 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Incidentally, you may be interested to know that Stephen's wife, Kathy, has asked me if the picture of Stephen at the beginning of this thread can be used in the order of service for the funeral (which is next Monday). Naturally, I'm very honoured Unfortunately, I will be out of the country because of work commitments on Monday .

I have also been asked by one forum member about donating to a sponsored charity and I have asked if this is possible.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 01-06-11
M.Photog.MEI.Cr.

kennykodak is on a distinguished road

Stephen became my first friend here. having been in this industry a long time, i have learned to know the real deal when it comes to people professing to be photographers. Stephen was just such a photographer, the real deal. i always valued his opinion and sought it through private messages.