Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 27-11-09
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Upgrading OS on Asus EeePC 1000H

I have been trying to upgrade to Windows 7 my EeePC 1000H.

I was having driver problems so I visited the Asus website and found full instructions on how to do it. The first thing was to upgrade the Bios, did that loaded Windows 7 and then in order as required the new drivers supplied.

Now all works fine better than XP, boots 50% quicker and runs smoothly.
Except the graphics will no longer support above 1024x600. Under XP they supported up to 1940x1080 so it can be used with a big monitor or TV. It gets regularly used for projection on 1400 digital protectors so resolution is important to me.

Help & support tell me the unit only support 1024x600, I had to press the point that under XP it supports 800x600 through to 1940x1080. They promised to get back to me, I'm not holding my breath.
Is this a case of initially trying to fob me off, probably, but they may surprise me and come back with a solution.

Patrick
Old 27-11-09
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Upgrading OS on Asus EeePC 1000H

I'm sure it's just a driver issue. When upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 you can often just use the original Vista driver, but this is less feasible when upgrading from XP.

Good luck!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 27-11-09
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I'm sure it's just a driver issue. When upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 you can often just use the original Vista driver, but this is less feasible when upgrading from XP.

Good luck!

Ian
Hi Ian

No its not that, I did a clean install on a separate partition, to see if it would run satisfactorily, in every respect it does except for the graphics. I loaded all the latest drivers Asus provided for doing the upgrade.

I have just found another driver that is a bit later we will see owe that works.

Patrick
Old 27-11-09
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hi Ian

No its not that, I did a clean install on a separate partition, to see if it would run satisfactorily, in every respect it does except for the graphics. I loaded all the latest drivers Asus provided for doing the upgrade.

I have just found another driver that is a bit later we will see owe that works.

Patrick
Hi

I have now discovered things work differently with Windows 7, the system would appear to adopt the best resolution automatically.
I attached the net-book to by secondary 15" monitor used on the PC (I have a double monitor setup for Photoshop so the tools can be shown separately)
it automatically selected 1440x900 for this screen, so all is well I can do with the net-book what I wanted it for.

Patrick
Old 27-11-09
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hi

I have now discovered things work differently with Windows 7, the system would appear to adopt the best resolution automatically.
I attached the net-book to by secondary 15" monitor used on the PC (I have a double monitor setup for Photoshop so the tools can be shown separately)
it automatically selected 1440x900 for this screen, so all is well I can do with the net-book what I wanted it for.

Patrick
Did you find this window in Control Panel?

You can select any resolution you need within the range of the graphics processor.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 27-11-09
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Did you find this window in Control Panel?

You can select any resolution you need within the range of the graphics processor.

Ian
Hi Ian
Yes I did but it will only display the best resolution the display can use, so 800X600 or 1024X600 was allowed, however as soon as the 15" monitor was attached 800x600 to 1440x900 became available the best resolution automatically applied. I haven't tried it yet but I have no doubt if I attach by big monitor the resolution allowed me would be 1680x1050, if lower resolutions are required it is necessary to select manually.
Clever stuff

Patrick