Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Compact digicam centre

Compact digicam centre If you have a question or an interesting point to make about digital camera that isn't a DSLR, post it here.

Old 02-07-10

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mac is on a distinguished road
How to control shutter speed without Shutter Priority

Does anyone know of any clever tricks that could allow me to set the shutter speed without a shutter priority mode?
I have a TZ6 and it doesn't have any manual modes.
I know I can set long exposures with some of the scene modes but I want to be able to set (for example) 1/40 or 1/60 for action shots where I want background movement.
I know I'll be told 'upgrade to the TZ10' etc but I just bought this camera thinking I wouldn't want manual control... and now I do!
What about setting a very low ISO and Landscape scene (small aperture). That should theoretically force a longer shutter opening but of course I don't really get any control of it.
Anyway, not expecting much here but someone might have some useful advice!
Old 02-07-10
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: How to control shutter speed without Shutter Priority

With respect Mac, it sounds as though you are wanting to make the camera do something it was not designed to do, not properly at any rate.

If you want control you need a camera that will give you it, and that may mean you sell or pass on the TZ6. Invest in something that you can grow into and that gives you the control you after. Well that's my opinion anyway

Check out my BLOG too

Old 02-07-10
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Does anyone know of any clever tricks that could allow me to set the shutter speed without a shutter priority mode?
I know I can set long exposures with some of the scene modes but I want to be able to set (for example) 1/40 or 1/60 for action shots where I want background movement.
I know I'll be told 'upgrade to the TZ10' etc but I just bought this camera thinking I wouldn't want manual control... and now I do!
What about setting a very low ISO and Landscape scene (small aperture). That should theoretically force a longer shutter opening but of course I don't really get any control of it.
Hi
If you can control the aperture then by default you control the shutter speed

Wider aperture gives a higher shutter speed, smaller aperture gives a slower shutter speed. It works to allow the same amount of light onto the sensor.
If you have shutter speed control it would simply widen the aperture for faster shutter speeds and make smaller apertures for slower shutter speeds.

So to get monition blur stop down to the smallest aperture, if you want to freeze motion open up the aperture as much as is practical.

Higher or lower ISO is a sensitivity issue and responds to the amount of light it receives. So if you have a very bright day and want a wider aperture and slower shutter speed then set the lowest ISO you can, the effect could be intensified using a neutral density filter to cut down the amount of light reaching the sensor.

I hope all this is written clearly it makes sense to me.

Patrick
Old 02-07-10

Mac is on a distinguished road

Hi Patrick,
Yes I understand exposure logic, I'm trying to find a way to apply it with a camera that doesn't allow direct control of apeture or shutter speeds.
I think I'm barking up the wrong tree here and will have to go back to my old camera til I get a new one that supports manual control.
Mac
Old 02-07-10
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Patrick,
Yes I understand exposure logic, I'm trying to find a way to apply it with a camera that doesn't allow direct control of apeture or shutter speeds.
I think I'm barking up the wrong tree here and will have to go back to my old camera til I get a new one that supports manual control.
Mac
Then Stephen is quit correct use your old camera or buy one with the supported features you require.

Patrick
Old 02-07-10
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

There are a number of ways. I'm pretty sure that the camera does show you the exposure settings in the live view on the screen. Explore some scene modes that tend to affect shutter speed more then aperture and vice-versa, for example. To be very honest, there is very little scope to adjust aperture on a small sensor compact camera of any description as such cameras are basically designed to shoot at virtually full aperture all the time. Any great amount of stopping the aperture down would otherwise cause a lot of diffraction softening.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 04-07-10
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a tz5 which is basically the same camera, it displays f stop and shutter speed when you focus lock and there are a total of 23 scene modes to choose from together with an inteligent auto mode which makes a setting for you according to the scene.
Should be something in there for most situations.
As for motion blurring the background of a shot you need full control, and even then the type of shot is very difficult to do well even with a dslr.
Ash.
Old 03-08-10
What the *%&

Andrew Thatcher is on a distinguished road

Bluetac a ND filter to front of it.
Old 03-08-10
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
Bluetac a ND filter to front of it.
haha!
this is exactly what I was about to suggest Andrew!

What I would do, is find some sort of filter, or even put some sunglasses in front of the lens, this would cause the camera to create a longer exposure.

Having looked at the spec of the camera, I see it has the following exposure modes:

Portrait, Soft Skin, Transform, Self-Portrait, Scenery, Panorama Assist, Sports, Night Portrait, / Night Scenery, Food, Party, Candle Light, Baby1, Baby2, Pet, Sunset, High sensitivity, / Hi-Speed Burst (Image Priority / Speed Priority), Flash Burst, Starry Sky, Fireworks, Beach, Snow, / Aerial photo, Pinhole, Film Grain, Underwater

I would try putting it in 'firework' mode, this should cause a slightly longer exposure.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-08-10

Liked at 89 Times in 69 Posts
Kurt is on a distinguished road

Firework display does indeed give a longer exposure, but so does Starry Sky which will allow you to choose from several longer exposures but they are quite long: 15 sec, 30 sec, and 60 sec. I have used this for mine when trying to get a fast shot of splashing water. I put the camera (TZ5) into 30 sec mode and then fired a flash at the moment the water splash occured. It took a bit of trial and error, but it worked!