Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 24-08-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mowgli is on a distinguished road
Fireworks

This is my first go at trying to take fireworks thought I would put it up for critique

Mo

Old 24-08-07
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
This is my first go at trying to take fireworks thought I would put it up for critique

Mo
Now I hold my hands up and admit I've never really taken firework pictures. However I understand the principles, and though it is often a case of luck more than judgement, I always thought that a slow shutter speed and a medium aperture were the order of the day.

Now I've checked the exif data on this shot Mo and see f2.8 and 1/300sec and I wonder if you would have benefitted from different settings. If 1/300s is right you are not taking full advantage of the light streaks caused by the fireworks

Check out my BLOG too

Old 24-08-07
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Now I hold my hands up and admit I've never really taken firework pictures. However I understand the principles, and though it is often a case of luck more than judgement, I always thought that a slow shutter speed and a medium aperture were the order of the day.

Now I've checked the exif data on this shot Mo and see f2.8 and 1/300sec and I wonder if you would have benefitted from different settings. If 1/300s is right you are not taking full advantage of the light streaks caused by the fireworks
That's never 1/300s. There is just too much movement there. The Exif data shows 1.3 which I suspect is 1.3 secs.
Old 24-08-07
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
That's never 1/300s. There is just too much movement there. The Exif data shows 1.3 which I suspect is 1.3 secs.
I did have strong suspicions about that Ron, suppose its obvious really, the streaks are too long. Think I would have tried f5.6-f8 though, withe the camera on manual

Check out my BLOG too

Old 24-08-07
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I did have strong suspicions about that Ron, suppose its obvious really, the streaks are too long. Think I would have tried f5.6-f8 though, withe the camera on manual
I also noted the glow in the background of rising smoke. That would not have been recorded at 1/300s.
Old 24-08-07
F1 nutter

Liked at 59 Times in 48 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road

Hi Mo

Those must be the ones that kept me awake last night. The thing with fireworks is that we do not get to see many displays in a year. You cannot just pop out and go and take some like you can with most other things. Its almost a once a year for most of us . Here is a bit of help I can give you.
When taking digital photos of fireworks, set your camera to use an exposure time of between a half a second and four seconds. The longer the exposure time, the more of the "burst" that should be recorded. Also, longer exposure times compensate for the lack of available light. Depending on your digital camera, you may be able to get by with just a one second exposure time or you may need all four seconds to bring in enough light. Also a tripod is a must have. Also if you can use a cable release that would be a big help.
Old 24-08-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mowgli is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the comments, the picture was taken at a "fire" display at one of the shows here in Guernsey. I was using a new lens (Sigma 18-50 2.8 ex macro) and aperture priority. I used F2 since it was quite dark and I was hoping to catch as much light as possible. The fire display was really too far away from my vantage point and the pictures did not come out well but at the end they sent up a couple of exploding fireworks and more by luck than judgement, I got the shot I posted for critique. As Peter said we do not get many firework displays over here and this one was not billed as having any fireworks so the finale was a bit of a surprise (and a grabbed shot)
Mo