Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Hard copy > Ink jet photo printers and printing

Ink jet photo printers and printing Problem with your ink jet printer or are you exploring ways of making your prints ever more vibrant and pleasing. Post your ink jet printer posers here.

View Poll Results: Which of these fits your view best:
I'm not interested in printing photos myself. 10 13.70%
I don't print much but wish I could and produce better prints too. 12 16.44%
My photo prints aren't bad but I know they can be improved. 28 38.36%
I'm perfectly satisfied with the photo prints I produce. 23 31.51%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-08-07
Admin

Liked at 245 Times in 193 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Exclamation How happy am I with DIY photo printing?

This poll aims to find out how many feel they can get more out of their photo printer than they currently manage.
The poll was inspired by our new series on improving photo printing skills.
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 16-08-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Re: How happy am I with DIY photo printing?

Interesting Poll Ian, personally I always use an on line printing service, usually photobox.

In my opinion printing yourself, although more convenient, is inevitably more expensive.
Old 16-08-07
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Interesting Poll Ian, personally I always use an on line printing service, usually photobox.

In my opinion printing yourself, although more convenient, is inevitably more expensive.
I don't disagree there - anyone who thinks that printing at home is going to save money is almost certainly going to be disappointed - unless they are looking for custom printing, large sizes, accurate cropping, etc. Commercial services with automated printing labs do a great job at a great price, but the moment you need skilled human operators it does get expensive.

Ian
Old 16-08-07
lumix

I like to be in total control of my prints and the speed and convenience is worth every penny. Also like to try the same print on various papers so home printing for me.
Old 16-08-07
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
I like to be in total control of my prints and the speed and convenience is worth every penny. Also like to try the same print on various papers so home printing for me.
Yes - this is a very valid and popular viewpoint.

Ian
Old 16-08-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 15 Times in 12 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
personally I always use an on line printing service, usually photobox.

Same here. Photobox every time.

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 17-08-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
Same here. Photobox every time.
I just recently purchased some cards I made up to thank people for the gifts for Elise.......they went down a storm!

Also, the photobooks are stunning. Bought one for the couple whose wedding I shot, they were impressed.
Old 17-08-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 15 Times in 12 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just recently purchased some cards I made up to thank people for the gifts for Elise.......they went down a storm!

Also, the photobooks are stunning. Bought one for the couple whose wedding I shot, they were impressed.
Haven't tried the photobook option yet but I might send in a collection of my favourite pics to see how they look. I'm shooting my brother's wedding in October (press-ganged ) and I thought a photobook of some sort would be the way to go for a selection of the better captures on the day.

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 17-08-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearface is on a distinguished road

I'm perfectly happy with the prints I produce using my own printers, but it's cheaper and less stressful to upload files (any size or quantity) to my local lab's server and let them do the printing. I only really use the A3 and A4 printers I have in the office for proofs these days.

Whenever I'm in doubt about the potential results from using certain files on specific paper types, the lab is always happy to send me a free sample to enable me to check the quality. Furthermore the media used and the quality of the prints themselves is visually superior to anything I've seen from "home" printers, as good as they admittedly are.

TBH, although I've been into this photography lark for a while, I've never felt fully comfortable with home printing, the quality of the prints or the setting up and colour management side of things. My passion is photography and I'd sooner pass the stress onto someone else
Old 17-08-07
Forum veteran

Jocelyn Walker is on a distinguished road

Yes, homeprinting does cost a fair whack, as photos use up the ink at a rapid rate of knots & ink's not cheap! Yet, I get enjoyment & satisfaction from printing a few of my pics now & again! I printed half a dozen A4 this evening, as I wanted to produce a triptyche (sic) for my wall! The quality for my needs is good enough! The end result will be really rewarding, having completed the whole process DIY, from taking the pic...tweaking it on computer...printing...mounting & framing! If I wanted a photo printed any larger than A4, I would have it done professionally! I keep on meaning to have 1 of my best shots printed on canvas, which is all the rage.....but so expensive! Have to win the lotto for that to happen p'haps!
Old 18-08-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I don't disagree there - anyone who thinks that printing at home is going to save money is almost certainly going to be disappointed - unless they are looking for custom printing, large sizes, accurate cropping, etc. Commercial services with automated printing labs do a great job at a great price, but the moment you need skilled human operators it does get expensive.

Ian
I have used Klick for holiday photographs and often there is an special offer. I had about 160 8" x 6" done for 6p each of our Australian cruise a couple of years ago.

With regard to cropping, (I can only speak for Klick) you download the software and have the option of having the photos printed "As is" or you can crop them and then have them printed as you have adjusted them.

If you have them printed "As is" they stretch the pics and sometimes tops of heads can be cut off, or steeples of churches if your camera is not the same format? (ratio). Sorry I'm not very technical on these issues.

I do print my own also. I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching them come through the printer and can print up to A3.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 19-08-07
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

I do some printing at home and the colours are good, visual quality ok. I only use home prints for temporary A4 stuff I stick on the walls, also for occasional proof prints for one or other of my sons family or friends. However, I always stress my home prints aren't made to last longterm.

Any prints that are to be kept and stored longer term are sent off to Photobox. I've had excellent prints from Photobox, also had superb greetings cards from there.

Pol
Old 27-01-08
Mr Iceman

Liked at 21 Times in 16 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road

Ive read some of the reply's and Im amazed how many people rely on an external source for there prints. I cant express enough the joy it gives me when I see the picture coming out of the printer that I have created, its got to be something similar to the darkroom days, thats the whole point isnt it, seeing it develop and print into something?
Wanting something printed in a size your printer can not manage is the only aception to using an external source, that and quantity.
Old 28-05-08
Forum veteran

jds9000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
Ive read some of the reply's and Im amazed how many people rely on an external source for there prints. I cant express enough the joy it gives me when I see the picture coming out of the printer that I have created, its got to be something similar to the darkroom days, thats the whole point isnt it, seeing it develop and print into something?
Wanting something printed in a size your printer can not manage is the only aception to using an external source, that and quantity.
Have to agree with you there Ash. I know at times it can be 'trying', the tones aren't right, or too dark/light, but the satisfaction of taking a picture that you like, and 'seeing it through' from start to finish, has to be worth more than sending off a file to the online printers, and then finding out two days later that they have cropped it, and it's too dark !!

Jay
Old 28-05-08
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds9000 View Post
Have to agree with you there Ash. I know at times it can be 'trying', the tones aren't right, or too dark/light, but the satisfaction of taking a picture that you like, and 'seeing it through' from start to finish, has to be worth more than sending off a file to the online printers, and then finding out two days later that they have cropped it, and it's too dark !!

Jay
Absolutely - the pride and satisfaction in producing your own prints can be very rewarding and I encourage everyone to have a go, especially for large prints. However, for large print runs, especially of smaller prints like 6x4s, where quality is not a paramount consideration (though the better photofinishers really do produce good results) it's not really worth the time DIY printing, and it's often a lot cheaper by outsourcing your prints. so my advice is to mix and match

Ian