Thread: DSLR vs. iPhone
View Single Post
Old 23-05-19
Happy Snapper

Liked at 185 Times in 122 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road
Re: DSLR vs. iPhone

My Google Phone (the LG Nexus 5X) has definitely seen better days, so I've been on the lookout for a new phone for a couple of months and was very interested to see Ian's testing of the P20. Then the P30 lite came out, and I seriously considered that - but it was very hard to find much information.

Then the Pixel 3A was announced: I'd hankered after the Pixel but it was way out of my price range. I've been on a SIM only contract for some time and the cost of the contracts was extortionate. I was umming and ahing as to whether to take the plunge, then saw a trade-in in the window of the local Cash Converters (for those not in the UK, a pawn shop) yesterday - and not a bad price.

I've used the Lightroom app to take photos before, but have never been terribly impressed with the results when using the Nexus.

The first image is straight out of camera(phone) and downloaded from Google Photos as is.

The second, while still taken with the native phone, was added into the Lightroom mobile app then synced with the PC. I have edited this one (the original was very flat) and was also able to have a go at cloning out the distracting log in the foreground - I think I could do better in Lightroom itself. I don't usually bother taking phone photos into Lightroom CC itself though - the lite version is enough in most cases.

Whilst the Pixel only has one camera rather than the 3 (4?) on the Huawei and is only 12mb, I was quite pleased with the results.