PMA 2008: A look at Sigma's mini marvel, the DP1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMA 2008: A look at Sigma's mini marvel, the DP1

Here is a summary or excerpt from an article that has just been published on DPNow:

At the PMA show we had a look at the new and unique Sigma DP1, a rather special compact digital camera with a DSLR sensor - and a Foveon X3 sensor at that, mated to a prime lens equivalent to a 28mm wide angle. We find out what makes the DP1 tick and discover why the DP1 is only just on the verge of shipping after first being shown a year and half ago

More...

Re: PMA 2008: A look at Sigma's mini marvel, the DP1

I'm glad this interesting camera looks like it might finally make it to market. Mind you, it means I'm going to hold fire on buying a Ricoh GRD-II until I've had a look.

Comment

The DP1 looks very promising indeed. I like the size and feel of the design and that it has a large sensor. There is no excuse for it not to out-perform the Ricoh. But the proof is in the eating

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Comment

The Ricoh is slightly smaller, but the Sigma is really very small in its own right. The 'zoom' controls are only for viewing on the screen as far as I know.

Ian
          Founder/editor

Comment

Comment

On paper the large-sensor Sigma ought to be worth the extra money. But put another way, the DP1 has a lot to live up to. The Sigma SD14 DSLR didn't win a lot of plaudits from the reviewers and the DP1 is based on all the important components of the DP1, but Sigma will no doubt have studied the SD14 feedback and made improvements where they can. Especially where you need to push the exposure in low light, there is no excuse for the DP1 to lead the GRDII, but we will just have to wait and see.

Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
              X