Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympus E-1 successor revealed - 6 photos included

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    While that may seem odd, there are no doors for the media cards either so I wold think that this is definitely an early prototype and they're still working things out.
    George
    Or they've equipped it with a 4GB flash card and 802.11a/b/g built in...

Comment

Or they've equipped it with a 4GB flash card and 802.11a/b/g built in...
      If they have non-removeable media, it better have an 80 GB HDD. Otherwise, let me pick the media of my choice. I didn't buy 15 GB(8 GB, 4GB, 2 GB and 1 GB) of flash cards just to have it obsoleted by a camera. Plus I don't plan on having a laptop with me everywhere I go so wireless is useless to me. If I'm running around helping a friend at their wedding, its one more thing to break. I can understand if this was a studio camera. But for general use, no way.

George

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Ross View Post
        By control dials I meant The actual dials where you can change modes, rather than the wheels
        1. When I first saw the E-1 mock up from Photokina 2002, I said what a clunker
        That's what I thought too. Though after the UZI, I probably would have bought anything Oly released. The E-P1 looks to me like it was designed by Wayne Enterprises ;-)
        2. My E-1 will be three years old on 10-10-06
        Mine will be 3 on 10-9-06. Where did you get yours from?
        3. On thinking about it the mode dial is the only control dial missing and it only does one thing and it is big on the E-1. Change it to a button + wheel and I might not even notice
        I switch all the time and they better not force me to go into the menu. To me the E-1 had just the right number of buttons and dials.

I think what they've decided to do is go down the dual-purpose button route. Not what I would have chosen, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. I'm staring at my E-1 and if I dual-puposed buttons that I use for shooting and and gave them different functions for review, I'd probably end up with a similar number of buttons. To me they can go a little bigger on the scroll wheels and shutter release button though. I like the tactile quality of the E-1 buttons/wheels.

While I do not like losing mode dial and C/S/MF switch, all I know is the status LCD better have everything listed at all times. I'm glad its huge. It better stay that way. I hope they add more info to the viewfinder as well. My guess is that's why the bulge is so big

External controls can be vunerable to damage, so this part of the design may be a good thing.
        Bob
        I agree. I'm hesitant, but but if this sucker has been field tested and is as quick to the draw as my E-1, that's all that matters.

George

Comment

Re: DPNow Photokina live show reports here

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          My first thought was that it looks more pro like than many of the Olympus offerings have in the past. Seems to have good ergonomics which I'll bet make it feel god in the hand. Is the battery grip detachable or have they made it an integral part of the body
          Seems to be a removeable grip.
          More photos posted here:
          http://www.biofos.com/whatnew.html

Comment

Mine will be 3 on 10-9-06. Where did you get yours from?

I switch all the time and they better not force me to go into the menu. To me the E-1 had just the right number of buttons and dials.

I think what they've decided to do is go down the dual-purpose button route. Not what I would have chosen, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. I'm staring at my E-1 and if I dual-puposed buttons that I use for shooting and and gave them different functions for review, I'd probably end up with a similar number of buttons. To me they can go a little bigger on the scroll wheels and shutter release button though. I like the tactile quality of the E-1 buttons/wheels.

While I do not like losing mode dial and C/S/MF switch, all I know is the status LCD better have everything listed at all times. I'm glad its huge. It better stay that way. I hope they add more info to the viewfinder as well. My guess is that's why the bulge is so big

I agree. I'm hesitant, but but if this sucker has been field tested and is as quick to the draw as my E-1, that's all that matters.

George
            George, I got mine here in San Antonio. The dealer had the bodies, but no lenses until the end of the week.
            While the mock up is obviously a design model, I do know that they have been testing beta versions for some time. I heard that there may be as many as nine versions. I suspect the control hanges will tend toward the way the ISO is done and will at least be temporarily seen in the viewfinder while making changes. The size of the prism implies some changes for the better for what is already a good VF. I think we have quite a wait into next year for the final issue.
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by DTD View Post
              Looks like it's at a very early stage.

It is going to be very difficult to use without labels on those buttons... <S>

Comment

George, I got mine here in San Antonio. The dealer had the bodies, but no lenses until the end of the week.
                While the mock up is obviously a design model, I do know that they have been testing beta versions for some time. I heard that there may be as many as nine versions. I suspect the control hanges will tend toward the way the ISO is done and will at least be temporarily seen in the viewfinder while making changes. The size of the prism implies some changes for the better for what is already a good VF. I think we have quite a wait into next year for the final issue.
                Bob
                Hey Bob,
                I got mine from a Polish music store in Brooklyn. They didn't know what the heck it was and so sold it at a discount. :-D
                IMHO, in the world of digital, ISO should always be displayed along with shutter speed and aperture. I know PA has been asking for it for a long time and I agree with him on this one.
                It's weird, but the more I look at the mockup the more I like it. Too bad they don't give a discount to E-1 early adopters ;-).

George

Comment

Hey Bob,

It's weird, but the more I look at the mockup the more I like it. Too bad they don't give a discount to E-1 early adopters ;-).

George
                  Hi George,
                  I think that without the vertcal grip, it is attractive and apparently about the size of the E-1.
                  The early adopters/continuing-repeat customer discount sounds like a winner Actually I wish Leica would do that, considering the price of the M8 and that fact that I have used M Leicas since 1977, but they probably know they wont make any money off of me for new lenses
                  Bob

Comment

This Sigma DP1 looks interesting:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092604sigmadp1.asp

I'm quite drawn to the Ricoh GR-D which the Sigma looks influenced by.
                    But no optical viewfinder as an add on. Hate composing on an LCD.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      My first thought was that it looks more pro like than many of the Olympus offerings have in the past. Seems to have good ergonomics which I'll bet make it feel god in the hand. Is the battery grip detachable or have they made it an integral part of the body
                      Pretty sure the grip will be detachable, like with the E-1.

Ian
                      Founder/editor
                      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

I would like to thank - GREATLY - the powers here for previewing this camera! Thank you very kindly!

...from an ex-OM4 owner, you wouldn't be able to talk Olympus into adding OM3/4-style full spotmetering controls, would you?? ^_^ I think if Olympus did it would differentiate themselves from the "pack" of other high-end DSLR's and offer an interesting alternative.

Thank you,
                        Snake

Comment

Hi Snake - can you elaborate more on what you would like to see concerning spot metering? What is it about the OM3/4 spot metering that the current Olympus DSLRs don't have? And why not register on the forum? Only takes a few seconds

Ian
                          Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

Here are my first shots from Photokina 2006 and what a way to start with the first public views of the proposed successor to the Olympus E-1 E-Series DSLR flagship, code-named the E-P1, widely tipped to be called the E-3 when it arrives in final shipping form next year. These shots were produced in a bit of a rush and not under studio conditions, so apologies if they aren't up to our usual standards!

Ian

Run your pictures through Photoshop's Highlight/Shadow filter and they look very good!

Comment

Run your pictures through Photoshop's Highlight/Shadow filter and they look very good!
                              Indeed - I still use an elderly Sony Vaio Picturebook C1MHP when I travel and the latest version of Photoshop I can run on it is version 7 and that doesn't have shadows and highlights - or even RAW support!

The small (8.9 inch) screen, although of a good resolution (1280x600) makes it a bit difficult to know if the final result of image adjustments is spot on, but I was reasonably pleased with what I managed to produce after I returned home to my big desktop CRT.

Ian
                              Last edited by Ian; 07-10-06, 01:11 PM.
                              Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                                Hi Snake - can you elaborate more on what you would like to see concerning spot metering? What is it about the OM3/4 spot metering that the current Olympus DSLRs don't have? And why not register on the forum? Only takes a few seconds

Ian
                                Hi Ian,
                                I've had some broad band cable problems, so haven't had a chance to join in. I think I know what Snake means. The OM3&4 have multiple spot metering where you can take spot reading from a bunch of spots and the camera will average them. There are also a highlight and shadow meter buttons, which I think have shown up on the E-500.
                                My hope is that they will continue the hybrid WB, even though the mock up didn't have the ambient WB sensor. Did you actually handle it and how much of a mock up was it?
                                Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X