X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ekkl
    replied
    Re: Photographers rights rally on Saturday

Sorry to bring this up again but it has been a while since this has happened. Do you think it has had any impact on our rights at all?

Reason I ask is there are now and again some reports, like today for example, of photographers being hassled in public.

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Having looked at the pix on my best screen, I'd agree that the very first one I posted is too warm. The next one, with the doggie, looks OK to me, as do the rest in the gallery, but I'd agree that they are warmer than the videos, which I think are on the cool side.

The first one and the dog picture were processed in PS while I was on the train as my laptop installation of LR was not up to date and did not support E-P2 RAW files. All the rest were processed from RAW in LR.

Ian
    I agree that the doggie pic is much better than the first one you posted. Just a quick click on CS4 auto colour corrected the first one. The same auto colour function did make a slight improvement to the doggie pic, mainly on the skin tones iirc.

I suppose much of it is down to personal preference - as in the first pic from peder's G1 (where I loved the colours and sharpening but you disagreed slightly).

Anyway - the main thing is that the variation is down to post-processing rather than the anything to do with the lens or the camera.

That E-P2 seems to be a handy little camera from what I can see so far (not that I'm likely to get one or need one). I'm still bowled over particularly by the quality of those videos and I imagine anyone who had such a camera would, or ought to be very pleased with that video and sound functionality.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Having looked at the pix on my best screen, I'd agree that the very first one I posted is too warm. The next one, with the doggie, looks OK to me, as do the rest in the gallery, but I'd agree that they are warmer than the videos, which I think are on the cool side.

The first one and the dog picture were processed in PS while I was on the train as my laptop installation of LR was not up to date and did not support E-P2 RAW files. All the rest were processed from RAW in LR.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

I'm not at the office at the moment and so when I get there later today I will have a look on the big calibrated monitor I have there, but on my laptop they look OK though I can see a difference between the videos and the stills (both taken with the same lens and camera - Olympus Pen E-P2 and 14-42 standard zoom).

I have always had problems calibrating my laptop screen, probably because it's a tablet (Wacom pressure and finger touch screen). My i1Pro calibrator is pretty much unusable with this screen. I have a Spyder3 calibrator on loan and it seemed to work a lot better than the i1. But maybe that optimism was a bit premature!

Ian
    I'm still using Spyder2 for calibrating both my PC and Laptop. The files I have printed at Photobox are still coming back as seen on my PC screen so I don't feel any need or inclination to upgrade the Spyder.

I've never been as happy with prints I got back from them that been processed on the Laptop. They turned out less vibrant and slightly duller than the PC processed images - so I just use the PC for processing prints these days.

Not very progressive of me perhaps but all I really care about is that the prints are coming back as seen on screen. That's my personal ultimate test of my own calibration methods and results.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

I'm not at the office at the moment and so when I get there later today I will have a look on the big calibrated monitor I have there, but on my laptop they look OK though I can see a difference between the videos and the stills (both taken with the same lens and camera - Olympus Pen E-P2 and 14-42 standard zoom).

I have always had problems calibrating my laptop screen, probably because it's a tablet (Wacom pressure and finger touch screen). My i1Pro calibrator is pretty much unusable with this screen. I have a Spyder3 calibrator on loan and it seemed to work a lot better than the i1. But maybe that optimism was a bit premature!

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

It's been commented that there is a difference in the colour between the movies and the stills - the latter were processed by me in LR and the movies are unchanged. The camera did go for a cooler white balance. I'd be interested to know which people prefer here

Ian

I prefer the colours in the videos. I agree they're probably cooler but they also seem to be brighter and true.

The stills don't seem to have what I would regard as true blacks - there seems to be a slight reddish/brown hue overlay. For example - in the first still you posted at the start of this thread, everyone seems to have an auburn tint to their hair. The background buildings also have a red/brownish tinge.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

It's been commented that there is a difference in the colour between the movies and the stills - the latter were processed by me in LR and the movies are unchanged. The camera did go for a cooler white balance. I'd be interested to know which people prefer here

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

All very interesting stuff Ian, and Kudos goes for you for making the effort to attend the gathering. Seems like it was also a good occasion to hone your video skills with the E-P2

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by Shenstone View Post
    Ian

Many thanks for posting all of this it looks like it was a good day and it was good for this issue to be hitting some mainstream news services

To everyone who was able to be there ... many thanks for speaking up for us all !

Regards
    Andy
    Hi Andy! Nice to see you here

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

Hi Pol, thanks for that I used an Olympus Pen E-P2 and no, I just used the internal microphones, but they are stereo, unlike many other cameras that have a video recording facility. Olympus' experience in audio recorders have have rubbed off.

The videos are quite heavily compressed (except for the very first one, which I uploaded straight from the camera file), so I'm pleased that the quality has not been eroded too badly.

Ian

Excellent quality imho. I'd noticed, from the exif, you'd taken the stills with the E-P2 but wondered if you might've used a dedicated Digtal movie camera + external microphone for the videos (as they're so good).

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Shenstone
    replied

Ian

Many thanks for posting all of this it looks like it was a good day and it was good for this issue to be hitting some mainstream news services

To everyone who was able to be there ... many thanks for speaking up for us all !

Regards
    Andy

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    Those are nice quality videos - good sound too.

Were you using separate a microphone or was it inbuilt?

Pol
    Hi Pol, thanks for that I used an Olympus Pen E-P2 and no, I just used the internal microphones, but they are stereo, unlike many other cameras that have a video recording facility. Olympus' experience in audio recorders have have rubbed off.

The videos are quite heavily compressed (except for the very first one, which I uploaded straight from the camera file), so I'm pleased that the quality has not been eroded too badly.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

Those are nice quality videos - good sound too.

Were you using separate a microphone or was it inbuilt?

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

There are more pix in my gallery here if you are interested:

http://dpnow.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/547

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

This time the subject of unhelpful security guards is highlighted:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS5L4elO-Yk"]Security people, rather than police are often the problem for photographers - YouTube[/ame]

Ian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X