Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police intimidation of photographers?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

    Originally posted by Pol View Post
    Well that's very clear ... assuming "they" can read and understand what they're reading.


    Pol
    Having had a few "encounters" with security people, I tend to mirror their attitude towards me. Most of the time they are only doing what the management have told them to do... This is much the same with any people who are employed (or married ) So if the approach is condusive to a discussion, I ask them what they have been told to do. Unfortunatly human nature, and their need to maintain authority often makes this approach unworkable ("I have a job to do!" ) Therefore they will maintain their "agenda" so as not to be seen to fail to do their job...

    Now that this guidance is in place within their industry, we can at least refer to it and ask that they follow it. Only time will tell if they do and anything changes.
    Graham

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

      Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
      Having had a few "encounters" with security people, I tend to mirror their attitude towards me. Most of the time they are only doing what the management have told them to do... This is much the same with any people who are employed (or married ) So if the approach is condusive to a discussion, I ask them what they have been told to do. Unfortunatly human nature, and their need to maintain authority often makes this approach unworkable ("I have a job to do!" ) Therefore they will maintain their "agenda" so as not to be seen to fail to do their job...

      Now that this guidance is in place within their industry, we can at least refer to it and ask that they follow it. Only time will tell if they do and anything changes.
      I was stopped by a security guard a few years ago. I was shooting a video of a small shopping mall at the time (I was just at the entrance). He was very polite, not in the least aggressive. He said I was too near a rear entrance to a Bank and feared I'd been filming their entrance.

      I offered to show him the film, explained what I was doing and why (it was a film aimed at helping deaf children) and TBH he bent over backwards to help me make a much better film than I could've hoped for without his help.

      It wasn't a nice experience when he approched me though, especially when a small crowd gathered. It did make me much more aware and cautious though ... I wouldn't like it to happen to me again as I doubt I'd be lucky enough to encounter such a nice fella.

      Pol

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

        You might be interested in this account by a NUJ official of a Project Griffin training session.

        PG is the initiative to get private security guards to dob in 'suspicious' photographers. Interesting vid at the bottom too.
        My flickr

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

          Originally posted by veggiesosage View Post
          You might be interested in this account by a NUJ official of a Project Griffin training session.

          PG is the initiative to get private security guards to dob in 'suspicious' photographers. Interesting vid at the bottom too.

          Good links, good video. Thanks for those.

          Perhaps things are gradually stating to improve and get back to 'normal' again ... with the help of a few well informed and properly acting Police officers (as and when needed).

          I hope so anyway.

          Pol

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

            I can understand that London might be more "twitchy" than here in Sydney. However, as my main interest is Street Photography, I use a small camera. That is not the only reason for my small camera but it is a factor. I don't even contemplate images of children any more. The pendulum is at the top right now - hopefully it will swing down somewhat.

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

              Sign of the times, sadly. I'm a parent and while I do have concerns about my children's safety, I find it hard to link a threat to them via photography. If someone is going to be obsessed about a child they will regardless of having photos. I think that if we were all more relaxed about being photographed than society would be better for it.

              Ian
              Founder/editor
              Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

                Originally posted by Ian View Post
                Sign of the times, sadly. I'm a parent and while I do have concerns about my children's safety, I find it hard to link a threat to them via photography. If someone is going to be obsessed about a child they will regardless of having photos. I think that if we were all more relaxed about being photographed than society would be better for it.

                Ian
                A photo friend and I went into Wolverhampton this morning about 7 Oclock to catch the early light rising. We went inside the bus station and were told very polity by a member of staff we couldn't, but could outside the doors. Later a police man chatted to my friend, not to stop use, but to very politely find out what we were about, satisfied we were genuine off he went.
                I have been approached several times when taking pictures in the street (not children, not any-more touchy ground) always politely and have always responded politely and have had no trouble.
                I am beginning to wonder about some, not all I hasten to had, but some unpleasantness could be caused by some photographers immediately going on the defensive rather than just responding quietly.

                Got some good moody pictures as well.

                Patrick

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

                  This kind of thing makes me think twice before taking photos, and it shouldn't. I walk quite a bit and there are often sights and views that I'd like to take photos of, but I'm always wary that someone might have an objection. Invariably, I don't take the snap because I don't want to cause a fuss.

                  There's a nice old bridge on one of my walks, but there's a school next door to it, so I dare not get my camera out. There's another bridge that's not so nice some distance away in an industrial site near some scrubland (actually Crayford Ness, but it feels like scrubland!), and I don't think twice about photographing that one because there's no one else around.

                  I tend to only take photos of places where there's no one's around, like the Thames Path, or open areas.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

                    Originally posted by JSR View Post
                    This kind of thing makes me think twice before taking photos, and it shouldn't. I walk quite a bit and there are often sights and views that I'd like to take photos of, but I'm always wary that someone might have an objection. Invariably, I don't take the snap because I don't want to cause a fuss.

                    There's a nice old bridge on one of my walks, but there's a school next door to it, so I dare not get my camera out. There's another bridge that's not so nice some distance away in an industrial site near some scrubland (actually Crayford Ness, but it feels like scrubland!), and I don't think twice about photographing that one because there's no one else around.

                    I tend to only take photos of places where there's no one's around, like the Thames Path, or open areas.
                    Couldn't you photograph the bridge early morning or late evening when the school is shut. No one could object to that.

                    Patrick

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

                      Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                      Couldn't you photograph the bridge early morning or late evening when the school is shut. No one could object to that.

                      Patrick
                      That's something I could try. It's a good few miles away, though, so I wouldn't normally be there early in the morning or late (I walk, I don't drive ). When it's warmer and lighter again, I'll try an evening shot.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Police intimidation of photographers?

                        Most of what I am hearing on this subject is coming from Europe. At the same time, I am aware that big brother is wathcing us in the USA like never before. I am travelling to Ireland in a month and a half and plan to take a lot of pictures. Hope I don't have to explain myself to the police .

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X