Lack of action continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of action continues

A week ago Tinka started a thread about the how the forum has become quiet lately, and asking the question why.
    I put my two penny's worth in at the time, as did others.

Well I am looking at the front page now.
    We have a month old picture of the day prominently displayed, this feature is not kept up to date better it be abandoned than make the page look neglected.

We have a new feature when we go to galleries, "The Golden Gallery" displaying nothing. Surely after announcing it and asking for submissions it should not have been put in place until there was work to display, or even some images from the regular gallery perhaps ex pictures of the day could have been promoted to give it a kick start. As things are it looks unsupported.

Ian announces improvements from time to time, in some things I feel the opposite to be the case as it only appears to me to become more complicated, but that might be just me.
    I can't help feeling instead of all these so called improvements being worked on, tiding up and removing the inactive features and features the organizers clearly haven't got time to fully support.
    Competition result are often published late if published at all, there are laws in the UK governing such things, I'm not an expert but failing in this area may very well be in breach of these laws.

Ian is I don't doubt a very busy person and works long hours as can been seen from reply's posted very late at night.
    This could be the problem attempting to do too much, better fewer features well looked after, that than a lot that cant be looked after properly.

Patrick

Re: Lack of action continues

Here here.
    My PhotoBlog

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
      A week ago Tinka started a thread about the how the forum has become quiet lately, and asking the question why.
      I put my two penny's worth in at the time, as did others.

Well I am looking at the front page now.
      We have a month old picture of the day prominently displayed, this feature is not kept up to date better it be abandoned than make the page look neglected.

We have a new feature when we go to galleries, "The Golden Gallery" displaying nothing. Surely after announcing it and asking for submissions it should not have been put in place until there was work to display, or even some images from the regular gallery perhaps ex pictures of the day could have been promoted to give it a kick start. As things are it looks unsupported.

Ian announces improvements from time to time, in some things I feel the opposite to be the case as it only appears to me to become more complicated, but that might be just me.
      I can't help feeling instead of all these so called improvements being worked on, tiding up and removing the inactive features and features the organizers clearly haven't got time to fully support.
      Competition result are often published late if published at all, there are laws in the UK governing such things, I'm not an expert but failing in this area may very well be in breach of these laws.

Ian is I don't doubt a very busy person and works long hours as can been seen from reply's posted very late at night.
      This could be the problem attempting to do too much, better fewer features well looked after, that than a lot that cant be looked after properly.

Patrick
      I could not agree more Patrick. The art of good management is to delegate what you don't have time to do yourself. There are only so many hours in a day and it's far better to do a few things well than attempt to do everything and make a poor job of it.

Comment

Well i think Ian trying to run 3 sites is taking its toll on the one his not getting payed for. And i for one will be moving on soon as i can see it only getting worse.
        My PhotoBlog

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
          Well i think Ian trying to run 3 sites is taking its toll on the one his not getting payed for. And i for one will be moving on soon as i can see it only getting worse.
          Having just discovered onexposure I shall be spending more time with that, focusing as it does on picture making. Since my time is limited that means less time for DP-Now. Sad really I have been loyal for a number of years, I will continue to look in and comment but possibly not to the same degree.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
            Having just discovered onexposure I shall be spending more time with that, focusing as it does on picture making. Since my time is limited that means less time for DP-Now. Sad really I have been loyal for a number of years, I will continue to look in and comment but possibly not to the same degree.

Patrick
            Nice site Patrick. I see some others from DPNow have joined.

Comment

Would that be onexposure.com or .co.uk??

As an aside though I tend to find many sites dip in and out of popularity. The autumn has had us all out shooting some great pictures and posting them here and now I wait for the white frost/snow/ice to come around for another veiw of the local park so I imagine other people will do the same and the forum will be busy through the winter with us posting our winter pics.

I think with a spring clean the forum would look ok but saying that there is not too much bad about it to be honest.........
              Last edited by ekkl; 10-11-07, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Well for my tuppence worth....if it weren't for the fortnightly salon, this site would be heading for dodoland! There are the regular 20-30 odd subscribers that keep the site limping along in the forums! Not much of any note changes on the front page from month to month! The dynamo is failing fast! How many of the 30 odd subscribers would be up for submitting work to 'The Golden Gallery'? Whereas, the items like the Photo Challenge seemed to be really popular & fun, where everyone could participate, not just the 'elite'!
                Jocelyn

Comment

The expressions that people are making about the apparent decline of this site are exactly what I feared might happen when the 4/3 rds site was introduced. I posted a note then saying 'Why another site ? what is wrong with a forum for 4/3 on this site?' I also said I felt the introduction of another special site would only fragment the membership, which is what appears to be happening. I am sad as a longtime member of DPNow to see this happening, as when all the changes were made from the old site I thought 'What a transformation - this should attract more members, which it did for a while.'

Comment

I am sorry to see that a lot of people are pulling away from this site. This will just make it worse should we not all be coming up with ideas to push the site forward. Yes I know that I must be one of the worse people for putting up photos but I have been in a real slump of late as far as photos go. I have now changed jobs which I hope will give me more time to get out and about. Only this week I went back to a camera club that I joined at the start of the year but being this late in the year all the monthly photo subjects have come to an end so I am looking forward to next year and the new subjects. Any way I guess that was a bit off topic, I just wanted to say I think we all need to post more not just walk away.
                    Last edited by peter; 11-11-07, 02:33 PM.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

Comment

I'm also going to say what I think. This is getting ridiculous.

It has become little more than a joke here; nothing is ever followed through and the wishes or concerns of members are either ignored or dismissed. It's clear that the ad-clicks generate some revenue here and Ian makes a great deal of the viewing stats, but the site itself is stagnant and quite understandably the members feel neglected.

My thoughts are with Stephen, Pol and Ben who as admins here, do what little they can to keep things going - especially Stephen who has devoted an enormous amount of time and energy into supporting Ian and this site. Ian is clearly letting them down terribly and while each new incentive (POTD, Golden Gallery etc) is launched with some enthusiasm and fanfare, they always end up fizzling out.........the Golden Gallery situation is farcical!

It's clear that Ian is active (and posting) at his other sites, but back here things are in dire need of some decisive management and a little passion. Oh and it wouldn't hurt to listen to those who continue to support and frequent DPNow, because without those personalities, this site would be little more than a screen-sized billboard.

I also moved over to OnExposure some time ago and considering that it's run by a group of enthusiastic, amateur photographers (who incidentally, have day jobs...), it's a well-organised, constantly updated website which is regularly improved and honed. It's a website for photographers and it's clear that the owners are dedicated to ensuring that members stick around and enjoy the facility. DPNow could be similar, but for some reason it's left to stagnate while it's sister sites flourish. If Ian doesn't have the time to run it properly, then perhaps he should delegate the responsibility to someone who does?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post

.......... especially Stephen who has devoted an enormous amount of time and energy into supporting Ian and this site.
                        Absolutely ..... and so I feel compelled to add my own thanks to Stephen for all the support, help and encouragement he's given me over the years! I have enormous respect for Stephen.

Pol

Comment

I think we all have a lot of respect & admiration for Stephen! He is never far away & extremely obliging when one is need of a little advice, help or encouragement! Thank you Stephen! It would be an awful shame if this site fizzled out completely as it could have such potential, especially for the everyday amateur photographer/hobbyist! Delegate it to another webmaster for the interim! Take the Golden Gallery to the 4 tirds site
                          Jocelyn

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn Walker View Post
                            I think we all have a lot of respect & admiration for Stephen! He is never far away & extremely obliging when one is need of a little advice, help or encouragement! Thank you Stephen! It would be an awful shame if this site fizzled out completely as it could have such potential, especially for the everyday amateur photographer/hobbyist! Delegate it to another webmaster for the interim! Take the Golden Gallery to the 4 tirds site

The Golden Gallery idea was developed as an initiative for DPN. I sincerely hope it will NOT be taken to the 4/3 site!

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                              The Golden Gallery idea was developed as an initiative for DPN. I sincerely hope it will NOT be taken to the 4/3 site!

Pol
                              I agree Pol the idea was for DPNow and it should be developed here, and I believe Stephen to be the man for the job that is if he wants it and Ian if will allow him to get on with it solo, or with his own selected team.

I have only looked in once on the 4/3 site, it looked clean and well presented, the third site I don't know the address, what its called or about.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                              X