Image Upsizing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Upsizing ?

I don't know whether this is the correct forum for this query or whether it has been discussed previously, but here goes. What is the best way to increase the size if an image without introducing artifacts or jaggies and yet retain reasonable resolution. I pose the question as I have been asked by a friend to increase the size of a jpeg image which is required to be displayed on the side of a florists van. I do not know until tomorrow what the final size is going to be needed.

Re: Image Upsizing ?

Originally posted by DennisP View Post
    I don't know whether this is the correct forum for this query or whether it has been discussed previously, but here goes. What is the best way to increase the size if an image without introducing artifacts or jaggies and yet retain reasonable resolution. I pose the question as I have been asked by a friend to increase the size of a jpeg image which is required to be displayed on the side of a florists van. I do not know until tomorrow what the final size is going to be needed.
    I think its generally accepted that unless you have some special software dedicated to this sort of work, the Photoshop Bicubic smoother method is the best. I have in the past heard people talk about stepped upsizing, where the process is done in increments of so many % However I've never found any benefit in this. I'd also say that the better quality the file is to begin with the better, infact I'd go so far as to say that using a raw file to upsize with may be even better. Essentially though with a jpeg/tiff use bicubic smoother for enlarging
    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Thank you Stephen, as usual you are always ready to offer helpful advise. I will give that a whirl when I have more information from my friend and I will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        I think its generally accepted that unless you have some special software dedicated to this sort of work, the Photoshop Bicubic smoother method is the best. I have in the past heard people talk about stepped upsizing, where the process is done in increments of so many % However I've never found any benefit in this. I'd also say that the better quality the file is to begin with the better, infact I'd go so far as to say that using a raw file to upsize with may be even better. Essentially though with a jpeg/tiff use bicubic smoother for enlarging
        It really depends on the source image. pxl SmartScale is particularly good if there is a lot of sharp detail as it converts these shape elements into scalable vector objects, for example. But as Stephen says, Bicubic is more than adequate for most upscaling as long as it's not too extreme.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Ian for suggestion about pxl Smartscale ,but having done a 'Google' for info on it only to find it costs about 90, I don't think I could justify that amount for a one off. Also on one of the sites I found comparisons of an image which had been upsized both with pxl Smartscale and the Adobe Bicubic method and to my eyes at least I could not see any difference between them.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisP View Post
            Thanks Ian for suggestion about pxl Smartscale ,but having done a 'Google' for info on it only to find it costs about 90, I don't think I could justify that amount for a one off. Also on one of the sites I found comparisons of an image which had been upsized both with pxl Smartscale and the Adobe Bicubic method and to my eyes at least I could not see any difference between them.
            Something like SmartScale is designed for printing, which can produce different results compared to viewing on-screen.

The cost does reflect that it's a professional's solution for particular types of image. But bicubic may be more than adequate for your needs anyway.

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
            sigpic

Comment

A lot will depend upon the starting size but I have found that saving a file as a tiff will allow upsizing up to x3 without losing quality.
              -------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X