DPNow South photo expedition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPNow South photo expedition?

Prompted by Stephen's invitation for a foray in the North East, I'd like to start the ball rolling for a DPNow photo meet in the south. The idea is to identify a suitable meeting venue that will provide a good variety of photogenic scenes and subjects. And a choice of date that will suite the most. If anyone can provide a lift to those nearby (I'm in Hemel Hempstead, North West of London, just outside the M25, north of Watford and West of St.Albans.)

So - ideas and suggestions for, let's say, September? Or sooner if there is enough demand! Let's hear you!

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: DPNow South photo expedition?

Great Idea Ian,
    I did look at Stephens invite, but like many others I work during the week, also living in Cornwall does mean you have to travel greater distances. If it was a weekend meet I for one would be prepared to travel with an overnight stop.
    I think the problem will be geographical though, but as I said a great way to share ideas and get to know each other personally.
    Mike

Comment

I'd be game for a trip out "darn sarf", despite being one of the "oop north" contingent. I'm not speaking for Stephen, but I'd pretty sure he'd be game for a drive down too. We're especially keen to experience the cultural differences - apparently your toilets are inside your homes and you don't tend to marry your siblings...............should be fascinating

As to where.......well Oxford would be a great location. Lots to photograph in the city itself and plenty of nice scenery in the surrounding areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post
        We're especially keen to experience the cultural differences - apparently your toilets are inside your homes and you don't tend to marry your siblings...............should be fascinating
        I don't think they have to take the coal out of the bath and put it in front of the fire of a Saturday night either.
        Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
          I don't think they have to take the coal out of the bath and put it in front of the fire of a Saturday night either.
          Audrey, I put my coal on the fire. Like a good roar going before the bath. By the time its my turn its getting a bit cold
          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Hi Bearface,
            you will find there are lots of differences 'darn sarf'. It is a bit drier for one thing . We do indeed have lavatories (loos) indoors - sometimes two.

However the grarss is not necessarily greener; the house prices are bl**dy ridiculous.

I agree Oxford would be perfect.

Julia
            Julia

Comment

Down ere me ansome, in Cornwall we still have treacle mines and pasty trees,
              not to mention the close family ties LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Julia View Post
                We do indeed have lavatories (loos) indoors - sometimes two.
                Well tha's got to wash yer posh frocks somewhere, haven't thee..?

Comment

Nah - The maid does the laundry
                  Julia

Comment

Originally posted by Julia View Post
                    Nah - The maid does the laundry
                    Must be further south than me then...... or are you suggesting that the 'maid' might be male??

Anyway, Oxford sounds a brilliant idea... just a short skip down the M40 from me, as I'm 10 miles northish of Banbury

And Mike - your accent's a little bit off...... I know I live with a North Devon Janner (with a reasonably broad accent) but I think I can understand most of the south western accents now

Caz
                    http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                      Prompted by Stephen's invitation for a foray in the North East, I'd like to start the ball rolling for a DPNow photo meet in the south. The idea is to identify a suitable meeting venue that will provide a good variety of photogenic scenes and subjects. And a choice of date that will suite the most. If anyone can provide a lift to those nearby (I'm in Hemel Hempstead, North West of London, just outside the M25, north of Watford and West of St.Albans.)

So - ideas and suggestions for, let's say, September? Or sooner if there is enough demand! Let's hear you!

Ian
                      Sounds like a plan.....(Coupekid JR pending)

Oxford sounds like a nice idea, although we would have to park on the outskirts as I dont think they allow vehicles into the city centre.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post

Oxford sounds like a nice idea, although we would have to park on the outskirts as I dont think they allow vehicles into the city centre.
                        You can park in the centre, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg. It's also extremely difficult to find parking at weekends. There's only a couple of streets where you can actually park, and there was one multi-storey in the shopping centre which contains Selfridges (I can't remember what it's called..... only lived round here 30 years !!)

There are 3 or 4 park and ride sites - I usually use the one at Pear Tree (yep, the one that's always on the traffic news), tho there's also one at Cowley, south of the city.

Caz
                        http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

count me in

Best regards

Josh
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/40196275@N08/

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post

Better all learn your MORSE CODE or none of you will be allowed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Parr View Post
                              Great Idea Ian,
                              I did look at Stephens invite, but like many others I work during the week, also living in Cornwall does mean you have to travel greater distances. If it was a weekend meet I for one would be prepared to travel with an overnight stop.
                              I think the problem will be geographical though, but as I said a great way to share ideas and get to know each other personally.
                              Mike
                              Opens the door perhaps for a weekend in the southwest, get the sunrise over Mounts Bay, then morning landings ar Newlyn, some coastal fun ant the Minnak and Sennen Cove, then maybe some city shots in Truro and the sunset over the north coast Carbis Bay.....

food for thought.

I didnt used to live in Cornwall or anything Beautiful place for photography!

Comment

Working...
                              X