Pure self indulgence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure self indulgence

One of my labours of love has been the creation of my own personal photo galleries using my own domain webspace. I've had a link in my sig for ages and just updated that today

However I've finally got round to updating it and giving it a new look. Its something that over the last 3 years or so has grown and I find myself now being over critical of my own stuff, thinning it down where I feel there are too many samey shots. Tweaking things here and there to keep it attractive and easy to browse. However its a satisfying exercise and a worthwhile learning curve.

I've recently decided to buy a new domain name and web hosting that allows me to do things I couldn't before, the latest little thing is a guestbook built into the gallery pages. Heck well I didn't know you had to be on a Linux server .

I've used a skin from the free and excellent JAlbum web gallery software, which I've used for several years. The next step though is to find some software that's as easy but will include a shopping cart facility. I've no illusions about selling loads of pics, but its a bit of a challenge to do it myself and also fun at the same time. If anyone knows of some reasonably priced software that will do it, let me know please.

Anyway, please feel free to have a look at the site, I don't expect loads of back slapping here, but if you want to leave a comment in the guestbook please do, and thanks. Oh and whats the address I hear you say Just click on the banner in my sig, it should take you to a homepage where you can click on the gallery link, or the small slideshow hosted on Photobucket.com
    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Re: Pure self indulgence

Nice site Stephen - looking through those will keep me busy for a while!

You've got a couple of dead links - do you want them posted here, or PM'd?

Carol
    http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
      Nice site Stephen - looking through those will keep me busy for a while!

You've got a couple of dead links - do you want them posted here, or PM'd?

Carol
      Thanks for looking Carol, just PM me if you've found some dead links, should be able to fix them OK
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Good stuff ive bookmarked it for future reference.
        cheers
        Ash.
        http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Comment

I enjoyed browsing through all the excellent images Stephen. The only nit pik I would have is that I would have retained, in the galleries, a background colour something nearer to the grey of the homepage. I found the transition from home to galleries a bit too strong in this respect.
          But I appreciate that there is a school of thought that maintains that images always look good and safe on a black background.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
            I enjoyed browsing through all the excellent images Stephen. The only nit pik I would have is that I would have retained, in the galleries, a background colour something nearer to the grey of the homepage. I found the transition from home to galleries a bit too strong in this respect.
            But I appreciate that there is a school of thought that maintains that images always look good and safe on a black background.
            Fair comment Tom thanks, its something I may be able to address in the software. Thanks for looking too
            Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Nothing wrong with a bit of self indulgence once in a while!

The guestbook was working intermittenly when I tried to leave a message though.

I like the simplicity of the site Stephen, all too often photography sites look over complicated and a nightmare to navigate, so I like your for this reason.

The only comment I will say, is on the 'about me' site, there should be a picture of the man behind the magic, rather than a boat! *lol
              sigpic

Comment

Well that's tomorrow afternoon sorted ...looking forward to it.
                -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pops View Post
                  Well that's tomorrow afternoon sorted ...looking forward to it.
                  haha, well I hope you don't consider it wasted time Pops
                  Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Great site good clean layout.

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
                    The only comment I will say, is on the 'about me' site, there should be a picture of the man behind the magic, rather than a boat! *lol
                    The is one now. I think its the best photo on the site
                    My PhotoBlog

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
                      Great site good clean layout.

There is one now. I think its the best photo on the site
                      Thanks for the use of the photo Andy
                      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment