Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone explored camera drones?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

    A link showing a direct spec comparison of the Yi 4K and the Go Pro Hero 4 black

    Scroll to the bottom.......

    I appreciate the link is from Yitechnology and may well be biased.


    https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-4k-action-camera

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

      The main disadvantage of the Yi cameras is that they aren't waterproof without the housing, which is an optional extra, though bundles with the casing are available. The Yi Lite is very good but the 20fps 4K isn't really useful for smooth video. I'm not actually sure 4K at 25 or 30fps is smooth enough so the Yi 4K Plus with 4K at 60fps is now looking attractive at the right price. The official Yi Technology Amazon store has frequent flash sales with big discounts so well worth keeping an eye on them

      Ian
      Last edited by Ian; 25-02-18, 12:11 PM.
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

        Originally posted by Ian View Post
        The main disadvantage of the Yi cameras is that they aren't waterproof without the housing, which is an optional extra, though bundles with the casing are available. The Yi Lite is very good but the 20fps 4K isn't really useful for smooth video. I'm not actually sure 4K at 25 or 30fps is smooth enough so the Yi 4K Plus with 4K at 60fps is now looking attractive at the right price. The official Yi Technology Amazon store has frequent flash sales with big discounts so well worth keeping an eye on them

        Ian
        Understood.

        I have been looking at videos on YouTube, shot with the 4K and 4K+

        Some very impressive videoing.
        Last edited by Ian; 25-02-18, 12:11 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

          Looked at this at Currys, this morning.

          Looks an expensive bit of kit.

          More than I would want to spend. But it did look good.

          Comment


          • #20
            Founder/editor
            Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

            Comment


            • #21
              Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

              Comment


              • #22
                Last edited by Ian; 25-02-18, 07:39 PM.
                Founder/editor
                Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

                  Here is a little bit of 4k from my FZ330 at 24fps. Any movement you see is down to me not having a steady hand. I can only use full stabilisation in the HD mode. One of two limitations on my camera, the other is level shot. I also find the time taken to upload to YouTube far to long with 4k. I'm looking at purchasing a Panasonic or Sony 4k camcorder very soon. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNNwv9OZ9A[/ame]
                  Last edited by Rodbender; 25-02-18, 09:09 PM.
                  Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

                    Thanks for the informative input, Ron.

                    What you say about 4K and fps is interesting. Your video is good.

                    Far better than any I have taken with old video cams.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

                      Been doing some learning Ideally the shutter speed of the camera should be double that of the frame rate to ensure natural looking motion, so at 24 fps you should have a shutter speed of 1/48th, 30 fps - 1/60th, etc. The problem with the Yi action cams and, I suspect, most action cams, is that I can't see how you can manually set the shutter speed. You can usually do this with stills cameras that have video modes, though.

                      Ian
                      Founder/editor
                      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

                        Originally posted by Ian View Post
                        Been doing some learning Ideally the shutter speed of the camera should be double that of the frame rate to ensure natural looking motion, so at 24 fps you should have a shutter speed of 1/48th, 30 fps - 1/60th, etc. The problem with the Yi action cams and, I suspect, most action cams, is that I can't see how you can manually set the shutter speed. You can usually do this with stills cameras that have video modes, though.

                        Ian
                        Yes that is very true. The old cine cameras had a rotating disk shutter which was devided up very much like a fan with 25 blades and 25 gaps of equal size. As this disk rotated at one revolution per minute that equates to 25 exposures of 1/50th second. So it would seem the old technology still applies.
                        Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

                          It could boil down to messing around with ISO settings and ND filters to moderate the shutter speed!

                          Ian
                          Founder/editor
                          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

                            Having never really played about with video. I am learning more and more here.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

                              Originally posted by Garry View Post
                              Having never really played about with video. I am learning more and more here.
                              Me too Garry. This new video game is a far cry from when I videoed 6 weddings in a year and was limited to mini DVD tapes. Editing then was a nightmare as we did not have the computer software available today. I have always enjoyed the editing side of video making and have played around a lot with my phones video. I'm now very close to purchasing a 4k camcorder. Actually I went to Jessops to day and they do not stock camcorders in their shops. You have to order online.
                              Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Anyone explored camera drones?

                                Videos in posts are now working again

                                Ian
                                Founder/editor
                                Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X