Playing With Shop Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing With Shop Lights

Here's one I shot yesterday. I was just playing with your standard clamp lights used in garage.
    I had one clamped on the boom above her and my assistant was holding the other one as the
    main light. This alternative lighting stuff is a lot of fun.

Re: Playing With Shop Lights

Here's a pullback of the setup from the above image.

Comment

Hi Mike -

Welcome to dpnow.

Interesting to see your setup - thanks.

The first image to me is slightly overdone, although I do like the treatment. Great for a magazine shot I imagine.

I'm trying to develop my portrait skills (not too seriously though) so anything like this I find of interest. It seems to me photoshop and other program skills have to be honed to get the result you have produced here.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Yes, with digital… Photoshop is now the other half of photography.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Luter View Post
          Yes, with digital… Photoshop is now the other half of photography.
          A very controversial statement methinks

Without coming right out and saying it, Barrie appears to be alluding to the skin textures of this portrait. I have to confess that in this instance I think they are overdone making a skin that looks almost like plastic. There is absolutely no texture so far as I can see and not a style that I'm a fan of. I have however used a couple of software packages that do a much better job of cleaning up skin yet still leave texture. Here is one I reviewed about 4 years ago http://dpnow.com/3953b.html
          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Some of the lack of detail is due to the fact that it is over exposed ( intentionally).

Comment

The washed out face doesn't really do anything for me, even in the context of the composition. Now we know it's intentional, it'd be interesting to hear more about the rationale behind it and I'm curious to know if intentional over-exposure like this would be best done in post processing?

Ian
              Founder/editor
              Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

All is subjective when it comes to exposure and retouching… this is just one of the looks that we do a lot with seniors etc.… it has more of a fashion feel and has proved to be very popular.

Comment

Seniors? How old is she?!

Yes of course what I like and don't like doesn't make a photographer's preference right or wrong.

Ian
                  Founder/editor
                  Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

No, this one is not a seniors… I think she is 22. Although, we use this a lot with our high school seniors. Sometimes we do different stuff like this just for ourselves. It's just a lot of fun… and is something different, and keeps us from getting bored doing the same stuff all the time.

I just shot some with a new fluorescent ring light last week that produced an amazing quality of light and was a lot of fun. I will try to get them retouched and posted up within the next couple days.

Comment

Working...
                    X