Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you regularly read photography magazines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you regularly read photography magazines?

This poll seeks to evaluate whether DPNow visitors read photography magazines. There are still many photography magazines on the shelves of newsagents here in the UK, despite predictions of doom and gloom for the print press.

So what do you do?
    No.
    10.26%
    Occasionally.
    28.21%
    Monthly.
    41.03%
    Weekly.
    20.51%

The poll is expired.

Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    sigpic

Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

I subscribe to three magazines in total: PC Pro, F1 Racing, and Amateur Photographer. The latter is now the last weekly news stand magazine published in the UK after the British Journal of Photography went monthly earlier this month. I still receive What Digital Camera magazine as I'm an occasional contributor.

I do occasionally buy other magazines, but I do find the number of different titles with similar sounding names slightly bewildering!

Ian
    Founder/editor
    sigpic

Comment

currently subscribed to practical photography (really do need to cancel that sub) and professional photographer.

the later is of much more benefit to me as the features are more relevant. first bought it as the cheapest mag i could find in smiths to get a lens price match with jessops
      kept buying it after that and then subscribed.
      Dave
      http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

I subscribe to Digital Photo magazine, and like Dave said I really must cancel the subscription Originally it was the lure of a freebie that made it worth doing, but now I find I really do not READ it, rather giving things not much more than a cursory glance. So far as photo news is concerned, I find I can get my fix on the internet and especially the pages of DPNow.com. The magazines are usually well behind in this respect
        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by devilgas View Post
          currently subscribed to practical photography (really do need to cancel that sub) and professional photographer.

the later is of much more benefit to me as the features are more relevant. first bought it as the cheapest mag i could find in smiths to get a lens price match with jessops
          kept buying it after that and then subscribed.
          It's good to see a magazine that has earned its keep like that. I feel the same way about Amateur Photographer, which I feel has improved vastly in the last 2-3 years.

Ian
          Founder/editor
          sigpic

Comment

I'm another one who gets my fix on the internet.

I rarely read print newspapers either - mainly use an online aggregator and follow the leads from there.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
              I'm another one who gets my fix on the internet.

I rarely read print newspapers either - mainly use an online aggregator and follow the leads from there.

Pol
              I only read newspapers if I'm offered freebies left over by others on trains, given to me on planes, or provided by hotels in the morning

I do tend to feel preached to by the national press. On the other hand I'm trying to encourage the kids to take a greater interest in information sources like newspapers. Maybe I'm two-faced!

Ian
              Founder/editor
              sigpic

Comment

I subscribe to Amateur Photographer, as I sometimes send photos to their Gallery section. That means I have to read each issue, in case they print one. Their marketing department have got that worked out nicely.

Until recently, I subscribed to Photography Monthy. I also sometimes buy others, especially if I have a long train journey and want something to read. I hate to think how many hundreds of pounds I've spent on photography magazines over the past three years!

Comment

I have a long standing subscription for Photography Monthly in which I have had pictures & letters.

In last months issue I had my first, page and a half, article published

Like everything else it has changed considerably over the years, as different editors take charge, with the latest being the most dramatic ever.
                  Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    I only read newspapers if I'm offered freebies left over by others on trains, given to me on planes, or provided by hotels in the morning
                    That's the same with me - sometimes I'll read the local paper, but other than that, I read news online or watch BBC News 24.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                      I have a long standing subscription for Photography Monthly in which I have had pictures & letters.

In last months issue I had my first, page and a half, article published

Like everything else it has changed considerably over the years, as different editors take charge, with the latest being the most dramatic ever.
                      I've seen some of your letters in there, Graham. I missed your article, though - last month's issue was the first one I've missed for a couple of years.

Comment

I do tend to feel preached to by the national press. On the other hand I'm trying to encourage the kids to take a greater interest in information sources like newspapers. Maybe I'm two-faced!

Ian
                        not at all. generating the desire to read is the important first step. narrowing down what you read afterwards is secondary.

Dave
                        http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

Originally posted by devilgas View Post
                          not at all. generating the desire to read is the important first step. narrowing down what you read afterwards is secondary.
                          Good point!

Elizabeth is an avid book reader (mainly novels), while Lara is more interested in TV!

Ian
                          Founder/editor
                          sigpic

Comment

Ian

The best, most comprehensive source for news imho is the NewsNow aggregator. I usually just scan the headlines on the BBC then I go the aggregator if I want to dig deeper into anything. I follow certain topics and categories from their home page.

Here's the link for NewsNow. You can follow through almost anything from there.

Two more links they might find interesting - or possibly even useful for projects. The PA website also has a showreel that gives more insight as to what they're all about and how it works.

http://www.britishpapers.co.uk/category/england-se/

http://www.pressassociation.com/

Pol

Comment

I read AP at the library and have delivered "What Digital Camera".

Both very good reads, especially at the moment. Lots of articles on post production etc.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Working...
                              X