Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you regularly read photography magazines?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

    Originally posted by ryme-intrinseca View Post
    I've seen some of your letters in there, Graham. I missed your article, though - last month's issue was the first one I've missed for a couple of years.
    It was a very "tongue in cheek" piece on Judging associated with their "Year in the life of a Camera Club"... If you are really desperate for something to read, I could e-mail it to you.
    Graham

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

      These days I read the news, events, everything online.
      I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.

      k o m b i z z

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

        I don't have a regular magazine, but whenever I go on holiday, usually at airports I buy one or two depending on whether the information looks attractive to me.

        The last one I bought was Digital Camera Essentials.
        Audrey

        https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

          Sorry to say I buy to many. digital camera, practical photography, slr user,photo plus and few others being the ones I pick up. Also go to the library each week to see what I can find. I do spend a lot of time on the net as well looking at websites. I like flickr for the photos and the different group pages. Oh and some times when I find a bit of spare time I even go out with the camera and take photos lol
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

            Do I regularly read photography mags?, not as much as I used too, I did subscribe to Digital photo but stopped a couple of years ago as I found it repetitious, I suppose mags have to cater for all, as new people are buying cameras all the time and need basic tutorials, that didnt bother me so much as the photoshop videos seemed to be always about cloning or faking too much in the picture for my liking. I currently have Photoplus delivered each month mainly for the Canon element but dont usally play the videos. I will probably soon be looking around for another mag to kick start my inspiration again and stopping that one.... any suggestions?
            Mowgli

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

              For years I usually had three magazines arriving monthly, but today I have only one, LensWork, that arrives every other month.
              I found that with the dawn of the digital photography age, the traditional magazines seemed to be out of step and always behind the internet. I think that they have now discovered that there are a lot of new photographers and they can "translate" concepts of basic photography into the new terms and fill pages. The redundancy of this finnaly dawned on me.
              LensWork, on the other hand is about portfolios in B&W without any care about the technicalities of how the images were made. The magazine is no longer sold on the news stand, so you have to use the internet to get at it. The editor, Brooks Jensen, had an interesting editorial in the latest issue about how he loves "paper in hand" for prints and publications, but has been watching the move to the electronic. He laughs that you can now get "LenWork-Extended" in addition to the paper copy. It is a CD with more of the interviews and portfolios, including "color"
              Magazines with actual photographic work in them are few today. Another is Aperture (started by Minor White) and I occationally will take a year's worth and quit, because some of the material is too Off-the-Wall for me.
              Down to one.
              Bob

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

                I voted no although I did pick up a couple of Canadian mags recently to see if anything had changed since the last time I picked one up about 8 years ago.

                I won't be picking anymore up for a few years as there was little of interest in them.

                I used to look at AP in the newsagents when I'm in the UK but haven't bothered for years.
                Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

                  I buy Practical Photography as well as Digital Camera! They take well over a month to hit Australian shores! I do have a couple of Internet newsletters & things sent to my e-mail, l find them very interesting & informative! Gives me the opportunity of seeing how other websites operate & see other peoples photography! A number of sites have really informative stuff on how to do a number of things, which I find helpfull!
                  Jocelyn

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

                    Have not got time to read everyone's responses but my view is that they are greedy and charge far tooooooooo much, 50% of the magazine is advertising that you have already seen in the previous issue, 30% is stuff they have already covered the previous year ie-seasons and the last 20% is reviews on new tech which is interesting and informative but unless you have the cash to splash out, not much use.
                    The average price is around a fiver for all this mostly useless information not to mention the harm and waste it is doing to the environment when you chuk em in the bin after you have casually flicked through and found nowt that interesting.

                    Ohh and a small part maybe readers images, which is probably the most interesting bit as the so called pro's try to think of things wrong with the average amateur Joe Shmo's pics that are probably better than anything they have ever taken!

                    There ya go, my bit, or maybe alot.
                    Ash.
                    http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

                      Originally posted by ash View Post

                      Ohh and a small part maybe readers images, which is probably the most interesting bit as the so called pro's try to think of things wrong with the average amateur Joe Shmo's pics that are probably better than anything they have ever taken!

                      Ash.
                      Agree with the first part of your post (not shown), but particularly so with the last bit. I can't believe what they do to some of the readers pics, most of them aren't improved.

                      Last week someone gave me a mag showing how to select and deal with whisps of hair on a model. The after was disgusting. It looked like how I would do it and it was supposed to be good.
                      Audrey

                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

                        The only one i read is Black & White Photography. But very slowly its turning into all the other mags out there, too many Tec reviews and how to's
                        ...........................................
                        My PhotoBlog

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

                          Originally posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
                          The only one i read is Black & White Photography. But very slowly its turning into all the other mags out there, too many Tec reviews and how to's
                          If a magazine shouldn't do reviews and tutorials, what should it do instead?

                          Ian
                          Founder/editor
                          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

                            Well B&W was always about the image with only a small part about gear and how too. Over the last few years that has grown. In the 80s i used to get a mag called Zoom and a mag that had a silver cover (Forget its name) they were always about the image. Images inspire people, not how you make the image, you can learn that at night school or a local camera club. Mags that just do reviews (What camera) are fine just dont mix the two.
                            ...........................................
                            My PhotoBlog

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

                              Originally posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
                              Well B&W was always about the image with only a small part about gear and how too. Over the last few years that has grown. In the 80s i used to get a mag called Zoom and a mag that had a silver cover (Forget its name) they were always about the image. Images inspire people, not how you make the image, you can learn that at night school or a local camera club. Mags that just do reviews (What camera) are fine just dont mix the two.
                              Hi Andrew
                              I entirely agree with your sentiments, I used to buy Zoom, and have subscribed to B&W since its launch and have every copy since that date.
                              The change particularly with the current editor has not been for the best, it gets more like the rest with every issue. Its only redeeming feature is as the title suggests it sticks to Mono images. Its moved from the odd review of new equipment of an item of special interest that other mags wouldn't necessarily concern themselves with, to routine reviews that every other mag does feature.
                              Yes it features a lot of images, but not like it used to, a large percentage of these images are sponsored by suppliers, or are student competitions again sponsored.

                              My subscription may not be renewed this year.t-dwn

                              Patrick

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Do you regularly read photography magazines?

                                Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                                Hi Andrew
                                I entirely agree with your sentiments, I used to buy Zoom, and have subscribed to B&W since its launch and have every copy since that date.
                                The change particularly with the current editor has not been for the best, it gets more like the rest with every issue. Its only redeeming feature is as the title suggests it sticks to Mono images. Its moved from the odd review of new equipment of an item of special interest that other mags wouldn't necessarily concern themselves with, to routine reviews that every other mag does feature.
                                Yes it features a lot of images, but not like it used to, a large percentage of these images are sponsored by suppliers, or are student competitions again sponsored.

                                My subscription may not be renewed this year.t-dwn

                                Patrick
                                Yes im not a fan of this new bod that has taken over. The same happened with Digital Photographer mag, that's turned into a mag that regurgitates the same old technique every few months.

                                Creative Camera is the name of the mag i forgot the name of.
                                ...........................................
                                My PhotoBlog

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X