Sticky threads on the forum portal page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky threads on the forum portal page

I'm experimenting with a modification that keeps 'sticky' threads at the top of the forum portal page.

I think this will be a very handy enhancement. Please let me know if you notice any problems!

Ian

PS I will stick this thread for a few days.
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Sticky threads on the forum portal page

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    I'm experimenting with a modification that keeps 'sticky' threads at the top of the forum portal page.

I think this will be a very handy enhancement. Please let me know if you notice any problems!

Ian

PS I will stick this thread for a few days.
    I think this is a good idea for selected threads that sometimes fall of the bottom of the portal page and sometimes get forgotten about as a result.

I'd be interested to know how most members access the forums, through the Portal page or through the Forum Index page My personal preference is the Portal page, but I can imagine that less regular users may use the Index page. Does anyone access the forum via the Front Page ie http://dpnow.com then navigate to the forum via the Forum & galleries button?
    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      I think this is a good idea for selected threads that sometimes fall of the bottom of the portal page and sometimes get forgotten about as a result.

I'd be interested to know how most members access the forums, through the Portal page or through the Forum Index page My personal preference is the Portal page, but I can imagine that less regular users may use the Index page. Does anyone access the forum via the Front Page ie http://dpnow.com then navigate to the forum via the Forum & galleries button?
      I have the Forum Page in my favorites. I very rarely visit the front page for the same reason I don't buy Photographic Mags. IE not interested in equipment (news and reviews) only what others produce with it. I've reached that stage in life where I no longer intend to spend any more on my hobbies, and that includes fishing, and concentrate on making the best of what I have. Mostly I enjoy seeing and reading other peoples views etc. on posted images and try, even after many many years at this game, to learn something every day. For me the best equipment any photographer can have in their bag is Knowledge/experience and thanks to Forums like this, there is plenty on offer for free.
      Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodbender View Post
        I have the Forum Page in my favorites. I very rarely visit the front page for the same reason I don't buy Photographic Mags. IE not interested in equipment (news and reviews) only what others produce with it. I've reached that stage in life where I no longer intend to spend any more on my hobbies, and that includes fishing, and concentrate on making the best of what I have. Mostly I enjoy seeing and reading other peoples views etc. on posted images and try, even after many many years at this game, to learn something every day. For me the best equipment any photographer can have in their bag is Knowledge/experience and thanks to Forums like this, there is plenty on offer for free.
        Interesting Rod, thanks for the insight. Though my request for feedback was really an effort to see if most members used the Portal page to initially access the forums.
        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I use the Portals page. I am glad you linked to the Portals Page, because I really didn't know which it was or why it is called the Portals Page. Perhaps you could explain this strange speak to me.

It is in my favourites.
          Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

portals page? my link to the fora is via the realtime / iSpy page
            Dave
            http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

Portals - Isn't that something to do with time travel and black holes?

I don't even know what you're talking about. I have always made a tab for the main index page, then navigate to the forum & galleries etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina View Post

I don't even know what you're talking about.

Perhaps nobody knows and that is why it keeps getting lost and they are having to make a sticky.
                Audrey

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
                  I use the Portals page. I am glad you linked to the Portals Page, because I really didn't know which it was or why it is called the Portals Page. Perhaps you could explain this strange speak to me.

It is in my favourites.
                  A Portal is a door or gateway, and therefore in the context of the forum the entry into the forum is perhaps best achieved via the Portal page. For me at least using the Index page is a harder way of seeing what's been going on in the forum recently. Like others though I have a link on my favourites bar.
                  Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

A Portal is a door or gateway, and therefore in the context of the forum the entry into the forum
                    Yes, I guessed a portal was a door or gateway, but I if I had had to guess which page it was, I would have guessed the Front Page.

Here is an extract from Wikipedia:

In the late 1990s the web portal was a hot commodity. After the proliferation of web browsers in the mid-1990s many companies tried to build or acquire a portal, to have a piece of the Internet market. The web portal gained special attention because it was, for many users, the starting point of their web browser.

Thanks anyway, I had seen it written before on this site, but I assumed it meant doorway, therefore Front Page.
                    Audrey

Comment

Forum Index page for me.
                      -------------------------

Comment

Does anyone access the forum via the Front Page ie http://dpnow.com then navigate to the forum via the Forum & galleries button?
                        That would be me then...I like to see if there's anything new on the front page before I move on to the forums.
                        Stuart R
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/fred-canon/

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate

Comment

Originally posted by StuartR View Post
                          That would be me then...I like to see if there's anything new on the front page before I move on to the forums.
                          Thanks for that Stuart, most interesting, and have you noticed anything particular about the Front Page recently?
                          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Not too sure on the tech speak but when my page loads up it is as your link to the "portal page". I do, however, dip in to the "front page" and "news" fairly frequently.

jo

Comment

Thanks for that Stuart, most interesting, and have you noticed anything particular about the Front Page recently?
                              Sorry for the delay, been off celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary - almost as expensive as the wedding .

To answer your question...er...no, I haven't, but that may be because I don't visit as often as I used to or that I'm just not observant enough? Nothing wrong with DPNow of course! it's just that I've got the coarse fishing bug again (badly) so my usual weekend jaunts out with the camera have taken a back seat for a while (don't feel like taking my camera gear along on fishing trips - too much water & mud about!).
                              Stuart R
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/fred-canon/

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate

Comment

Working...
                              X