RIP Pol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Pol

It's with great sadness that I must bring news that DPNow stalwart and unique character, Pol passed away on Sunday after a long struggle with her health, not helped by the unexpected loss of her husband, David, after a short illness.

Pol was. of course, a forum moderator and even when she was clearly very unwell she insisted on continuing to zap spam accounts and provide much-welcome advice.

She was also one of the first dozen or so to register on the new forum here back in September 2006. Indeed, she was a regular on our old WebBBS forum, before that. Some of us will remember her apparent fondness for a camper van that she and David would use to travel around the country.

A Pentax DSLR system user, Pol had a keen eye. Her powers of observation went beyond the camera lens but here is a photographic example of that aspect of her character:

This shot she titled: "Human remains".

Here is a shot Pol posted in 2014 (though taken in 2006, when she was in better health), showing she could handle a bird in flight shot with some skill:

She loved animals and her photos featured many, from the smallest birds upwards. Above all, she loved observing others.

Pol's long-standing and low profile work as a forum moderator was hugely valued. A shy and private lady, Pol would also reach out to new members and give them vital encouragement and she also had a wicked sense of humour.

I received the news of her passing from one of her three sons, Richard. My thoughts are with him and the rest of Pol's family and friends.

Thank you, Pol.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: RIP Pol

Very sad news.

R.I.P. Pol

Comment

It is indeed with great sadness that I read the above. Pol was an inspiration both in her photography and as a friend. I have been trying to contact her since before Christmas. The bird in the picture was known as Gilbert. Pol loved to visit Romney Marsh in her camper van and it was there that she captured the picture of Gilbert.
      I will sorely miss chatting to her. Via email and forum PM's. God Bless you Pol, RIP.
      Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

Comment

Sorry to hear this news.

Barrie

Comment

So sorry to read this. A lovely lady who will be remembered by many. RIP Pol.

Comment

That is sad news. Pol was always helpful and considerate to a forum newbie when I joined in 2008.
            I'm sure that I'm not the only one thinking of her family at this time.
            http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Sorry to hear this news. She will be missed. RIP.

Comment

Just thought I'd pop in and have a look around. I then thought I'll see what Pol's been up to lately. It was therefore a great shock to see that she had passed as we used to communicate when she first went into the home. I know she was not in the best of health with her back. I am so sorry.
                Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
                  Just thought I'd pop in and have a look around. I then thought I'll see what Pol's been up to lately. It was therefore a great shock to see that she had passed as we used to communicate when she first went into the home. I know she was not in the best of health with her back. I am so sorry.

Hi Audrey, sorry for the shock. I do know she was in a pretty bad way and at least she is no longer suffering. But her strength of character never failed to shine through.

Ian
                  Founder/editor
                  Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Just spotted this. Very sad to hear.
                    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
                    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Very sad my thoughts are with her family. RIP Pol
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

Comment

Working...
                      X