X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSR
    replied
    Re: Server move around 8AM on Monday 17th July

As someone who's currently doing a server migration, I can sympathise with your issues. I have several websites to move and, as the old server is running old versions of PHP/Apache/MySQL/etc., and the new one is running bang up-to-date versions of everything, there's quite a bit of tinkering going on.

I always moan when I do this (every few years), but I learn a lot in the process. Setting up a new server, securing it, updating everything, migrating websites, etc. It's a lot to teach yourself (a difficult task when you don't know what it is that you're teaching yourself), but it's quite enlightening in the end.

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    You will be pleased to know - NO MORE TINKERING with the forum and gallery for at least a week as I'm off to France for a week off

Photos, yes - tinkering, no!

Ian
    Good ! You can break it when you come back.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

You will be pleased to know - NO MORE TINKERING with the forum and gallery for at least a week as I'm off to France for a week off

Photos, yes - tinkering, no!

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Well, we added SSL and it messed the site up so it's been removed for now.

Sorry for the disruption caused!

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

We have now added SSL security (https: page addresses) to the site as part of our modernisation programme. A few bugs need to be ironed out still and you may need to re-login to the forum. Apologies for this inconvenience.

SSL security is not critical for sites like ours as we don't store very sensitive information like credit card details, but it's now expected as best practice and means there is much less chance that your forum ID and password, for example, will be snooped!

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Sorry for the 15 minutes of forum unavailability just now. We performed a maintenance upgrade of the forum software.

Ian

PS I have noticed that some previously read posts now appear as unread. Not sure why, but I think we can live with it for now!

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by Garry View Post
    Not sure if this is relevant to the changes. Or whether I have missed some notifications, Ian.

But it has just dawned on me that I no longer get an email to alert me that a member has commented in a thread that I have commented in.

My user settings have not been altered and still show email alerts ticked.

Edit ! Ha! No sooner than I posted this. I received am email from the forum.
    Yup - we fixed it this lunch time

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied

Not sure if this is relevant to the changes. Or whether I have missed some notifications, Ian.

But it has just dawned on me that I no longer get an email to alert me that a member has commented in a thread that I have commented in.

My user settings have not been altered and still show email alerts ticked.

Edit ! Ha! No sooner than I posted this. I received am email from the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Some of you may have noticed some problems with the forum and gallery since the server move. One by one we have squashed these bugs but a few were more resistant than others. I think the outstanding issue have now been fixed but if you continue to notice anythong unusual, please do let me know.

Thanks,

ian

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Ah OK, still not 100% sure I get you as of course when you log into the forum you are logged into the gallery (which can be used stand-alone without a forum).

Maybe you mean there should be a button that takes you to the gallery upload page from a forum page? In fact that's really easy to do...

Ian
    That would make it simpler, especially for newbies

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Ah OK, still not 100% sure I get you as of course when you log into the forum you are logged into the gallery (which can be used stand-alone without a forum).

Maybe you mean there should be a button that takes you to the gallery upload page from a forum page? In fact that's really easy to do...

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied

I think you may have miss understood my point, or I didn't explain it very well.

I have absolutely no problem with directly uploading to the gallery. I think its a good idea.

It is the method........Having to go to Gallery and then uploading.

I thought it would be simpler to upload via our personal Profiles.

eg....Log in....Click on our name, and have the facility to upload there.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

There were reasons for not encouraging the use of attaching photos directly to posts. You can't organise post attachments into albums, there was no exif data display and once a post had scrolled into history the photp would be gone with it. The gallery maintains the visibility of photos and allows some organisation.

But the integration of PhotoPost with the forum was not great. We need to move on from PhotoPost because its out of date coding makes it a potential security risk and it's no longer developed or supported. There are precious few alternatives but I have found an actively developed vBulletin gallery extension from a Scottish company called Dragonbyte. It promises to be more modern and its code is up to date, but I am sure while it will have advantages over PhotoPost, there will be some disadvantages.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied

Changes and modernisations can be good.

A bit like having a fresh breeze in the forum.

Not that there was anything wrong with the original.

The only one thing that I found strange. Was having to go to Galleries, before being able to upload our images.

Thought it might have been simpler if we just went to our profile to upload.
    Although I realise this may not have been possible with this system.

But that isn't a complaint. Just an observation..

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by Garry View Post
    All going well, Ian. Although it seems there is still a lot to be done.

Does the " new generation of the forum software (major changes) and a brand new gallery system. " Mean there will be some differences in the forum layout or operation ?
    There will, inevitably, be changes because not all of the forum extensions we use will work on the new version of the forum software. Is there anything in particular you would like kept or like changed/added?

Same question for the gallery.

Ian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X