Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Server move around 8AM on Monday 17th July

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Ah OK, still not 100% sure I get you as of course when you log into the forum you are logged into the gallery (which can be used stand-alone without a forum).

Maybe you mean there should be a button that takes you to the gallery upload page from a forum page? In fact that's really easy to do...

Ian
    That would make it simpler, especially for newbies

Comment

Some of you may have noticed some problems with the forum and gallery since the server move. One by one we have squashed these bugs but a few were more resistant than others. I think the outstanding issue have now been fixed but if you continue to notice anythong unusual, please do let me know.

Thanks,

ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Not sure if this is relevant to the changes. Or whether I have missed some notifications, Ian.

But it has just dawned on me that I no longer get an email to alert me that a member has commented in a thread that I have commented in.

My user settings have not been altered and still show email alerts ticked.

Edit ! Ha! No sooner than I posted this. I received am email from the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
          Not sure if this is relevant to the changes. Or whether I have missed some notifications, Ian.

But it has just dawned on me that I no longer get an email to alert me that a member has commented in a thread that I have commented in.

My user settings have not been altered and still show email alerts ticked.

Edit ! Ha! No sooner than I posted this. I received am email from the forum.
          Yup - we fixed it this lunch time

Ian
          Founder/editor

Comment

Sorry for the 15 minutes of forum unavailability just now. We performed a maintenance upgrade of the forum software.

Ian

PS I have noticed that some previously read posts now appear as unread. Not sure why, but I think we can live with it for now!
            Founder/editor

Comment

We have now added SSL security (https: page addresses) to the site as part of our modernisation programme. A few bugs need to be ironed out still and you may need to re-login to the forum. Apologies for this inconvenience.

SSL security is not critical for sites like ours as we don't store very sensitive information like credit card details, but it's now expected as best practice and means there is much less chance that your forum ID and password, for example, will be snooped!

Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Well, we added SSL and it messed the site up so it's been removed for now.

Sorry for the disruption caused!

Ian
                Founder/editor

Comment

You will be pleased to know - NO MORE TINKERING with the forum and gallery for at least a week as I'm off to France for a week off

Photos, yes - tinkering, no!

Ian
                  Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    You will be pleased to know - NO MORE TINKERING with the forum and gallery for at least a week as I'm off to France for a week off

Photos, yes - tinkering, no!

Ian
                    Good ! You can break it when you come back.

Comment

As someone who's currently doing a server migration, I can sympathise with your issues. I have several websites to move and, as the old server is running old versions of PHP/Apache/MySQL/etc., and the new one is running bang up-to-date versions of everything, there's quite a bit of tinkering going on.

I always moan when I do this (every few years), but I learn a lot in the process. Setting up a new server, securing it, updating everything, migrating websites, etc. It's a lot to teach yourself (a difficult task when you don't know what it is that you're teaching yourself), but it's quite enlightening in the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X