Four Thirds User DNS problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Thirds User DNS problem

Well, I am rather annoyed and frustrated that something has gone wrong with the DNS service for our Four Thirds User site.

We thought we had arranged for DNS services to be transferred to a new provider several weeks ago in order to manage the end of our contract with the previous provider, but something has obviously gone wrong, for which I can only apologise, I hope the site will be back to normal as soon as possible.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Four Thirds User DNS problem

I was surprised by the message I received at FTU. I'm glad that I could get an explaination here. Thanks Ian.

Jeff
    Ian's Tata
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
    http://jeffrey-peterson.artistwebsites.com/
    http://edwardswaterhouseinn.com/about/

Comment

Four Thirds User DNS has been restored but will take up to 24 hours to propagate around the world.

Ian
      Founder/editor

Comment

I can see the site again from here so the fix is definitely working

Ian
        Founder/editor

Comment

Well it is certainly still denying entry this morning Wed 6/3 at 10:50 am. I got the DNS denial of service message when I tried to log in to the site.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisP View Post
            Well it is certainly still denying entry this morning Wed 6/3 at 10:50 am. I got the DNS denial of service message when I tried to log in to the site.
            Me too, but a bit later was ok on iPad.

Comment

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do - the networks have propagate the new nameserver correlation from one to another and this can take up to 24 hours I am told.

The site looks back to normal now so I know that most people are accessing it without problems.

Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Ian - it is now 9.30 am Thursday 9:3 and I am stil getting the DNS massage when I try to get into Fourthirds site. My broadband is with BT Infinity. You said it would take 24hrs to propagate round this system before everywhere would be able to access the site again - well that time has expired and still no access. Have you heard of any other members who are still experiencing the problem. ?

Comment

My advice is to clear your browser cache. When DNS was restored I was at home (we are with Virgin) and pages that were open in Firefox refused to see anything put the DNS expiry page but when I opened IE9 which had not previously seen or cached the DNS expiry pages FTU appeared quite normally.

Some help can be found here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache

Ian
                  Founder/editor

Comment

Someone whose DNS Expiration page for FTU persisted solved the problem by power-cycling his modem/router - probably meaning the router had a DNS cache in it as well!

Ian
                    Founder/editor

Comment

The main page loads for me but without all the buttons/icons/graphics. I still get the DNS message when I try to open a thread. I'll pull the battery out of this BlackBerry later todays and try again.
                      Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett.

Comment

It's finally come right for me.

I'm using Firefox, cleared the cache yesterday to no avail, was still getting the error message earlier today but it finally came right by itself this evening.
                        Just had a quick look around the boarrd over there and all the buttons etc seem to be as they should be.

Pol

Comment

Whenever I'm shifting my sites/domains around and I know the DNS will change, I plan 48 hours in advance by setting the TTL to 5 minutes.

When I'm ready to do the move (after that 48 hours), all caching nameservers should have updated their records to know that they shouldn't keep old records for longer than 5 minutes before checking them again. The result is that the site is never down for more than several minutes during a change (unless some non-standard caching nameservers ignores the authoritative nameserver's TTL and instead uses their own TTL).

Once the change is made, I change the TTL back to default to spare the authoritative nameserver from being hammered unnecessarily.

This method is a whole lot less stressful than to risk having your sites down for 24-48 hours every time you want to move something.

Comment

Working...
                          X