Movies and YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies and YouTube

Some of you may have seen my ten minute video report from Focus on Imaging posted yesterday:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPzPEZbotUM[/ame]

Anyway, the video was shot in full HD using an OM-D E-M5 and the 12-50mm kit lens. I am not a video expert - my video knowledge is much less than my stills photography knowledge, but I know the basics and despite my relative lack of knowledge I am not that unhappy with the result above. I know where my weaknesses are and I am addressing them. Incidentally, the video was edited in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and the final edit that I uploaded to YouTube was 1080HD 30p (H.t64/MP4) and the ten minutes amounted to just over 600MB.

Viewed on my laptop at 720HD, the final edit looks smooth and sharp. I expect YouTube to cost some quality, but I am disappointed by what YouTube is showing on the dpnowdotcom channel - the playback is jerky and there is a fair bit of noticeable detail loss.

Normally, I would just put this down to YouTube but there are other videos on YouTube that don't seem to have this problem. So the questions are: what can be done to improve the bottom line playback quality on YouTube? Are there ideal encoding settings? Did I over-compress the final edit? In other words - what is the sweet spot for getting the best YouTube results?

Any video experts out there like to comment?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Movies and YouTube

For some reason I couldn't open it either embedded or on the Youtube site itself. I got the "Error Occurred. Please try again later" message. I'll watch it when I can and give you some feedback. I've uploaded over a hundred videos to YouTube with an emphasis on viewer interest more than video quality. Most get only a handful of views but several have had hits in the thousands. I do need to do a better job of editing and hope to get some ideas from your video.

Tomorrow I'll be shooting an Olympic hopeful - a 45 year old female snowboard racer with a shot at the US Olympic squad. I'll be using two GoPros and a Sony Camcorder. If the result warrants it, I'll post it.
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Working...
    X