On location viewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On location viewing

I'd often like to preview the pictures that I have taken on something better than the rather small lcd screen on my camera. I don't want to carry a laptop around or even an iPad. I wouldn't normally have power or wi-fi available.

I was wondering about one of the new tablets like the Nexus or Galaxy Tab. Getting the pictures onto the tablet is one problem, I'm told that there is a work around for the Nexus lack of a card slot. The Tab has a microSD card and my camera seems to be OK with microSD class 6.

Any comments or advice please. I have no experience with these devices.

Re: On location viewing

Hi Mike -

There is quite an amount of information around, I have been looking for answers to questions for a few weeks, before asking for a Nexus 7 16Gb as another birthday is arriving fairly soon. ( too often )

Here are a few links which I hope will answer your question:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...a-Nexus-7.html

http://www.nexustablets.net/forum/ne...tep-setup.html

http://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en-GB&topic=2565937

It would be interesting if other forum members have any hints and tips too.

Regards. Barr1e
    Last edited by Barr1e; 30-09-12, 10:46 AM. Reason: altered answer

Comment

Thanks Barrie. The first link more or less echoes what I had unearthed. Whether or not you can simply connect the camera cable to the OTG adapter cable USB socket will be a matter of trial and error. Otherwise a card reader would be needed.

The other possible solution is to use an eye fi card but there are caveats about using them with my current camera and a definite 'no' to using one in the camera I'm saving up for.

Be nice to hear from people actually using this solution.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_j View Post
        Thanks Barrie. The first link more or less echoes what I had unearthed. Whether or not you can simply connect the camera cable to the OTG adapter cable USB socket will be a matter of trial and error. Otherwise a card reader would be needed.

The other possible solution is to use an eye fi card but there are caveats about using them with my current camera and a definite 'no' to using one in the camera I'm saving up for.

Be nice to hear from people actually using this solution.

Comment

You can use a Toshiba FlashAir WiFi SD card. It has memory on board but you create a peer/peer connection with your tablet, smartphone or even a laptop, and images can be sent directly to your external device. Apps are available supporting smartphones and tablets.

Olympus is bundling these in the UK with their new Pen cameras but you can already buy them:

http://tinyurl.com/8r2qzh3

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
            You can use a Toshiba FlashAir WiFi SD card. It has memory on board but you create a peer/peer connection with your tablet, smartphone or even a laptop, and images can be sent directly to your external device. Apps are available supporting smartphones and tablets.

Olympus is bundling these in the UK with their new Pen cameras but you can already buy them:

http://tinyurl.com/8r2qzh3

Ian
            I don't have a high-end camera myself, but I do find myself asking if SD cards are being phased out. The last camera I bought takes microSD. My phone takes microSD. My tablet takes MicroSD. I don't know anything I've bought recently that takes full-size SD cards.

Are WiFi SD cards going to be redundant soon simply because they're too big?

Comment

A small number of compact cameras, notably from Samsung - a big mobile phone maker - now use MicroSD cards, but the trend is not great for cameras. It's CF which is on the way out, with higher-end pro cameras now supporting SD and the new XQD compact flash successor. SD cards are a good size if you are going to be removing the card frequently. I'd not be too keen on a card size smaller than that. MicroSD is fine if the card stays in the device but otherwise it's really too small.

Ian
              Founder/editor
              Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

It is a Samsung camera that I have. The card is relatively easy to remove/replace (which is more than can be said for my Samsung phone!). With affordable class 10 32GB microSD cards around, you'd have thought that one or the other was redundant - particularly if higher end cameras are going to go for that XQD you mention.

My previous camera used Compact Flash, but I kind of went off them when every reader I bought quickly ended up with bent pins, rendering it unusable. Too cheap, I guess, but it still puts you off.

Comment

Working...
                X