Cold Battery....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNSOLVED Cold Battery....

Hi all. Just been out and about to photograph some fireworks. On more than one occasion my battery(s) stopped working indicating they were out of charge. I put them in my jacket, under my arm for a few mins and they worked for a while after that, had to do this a few times. Obviously the batteries were cold so what can I do to prevent this happening again?

The batteries were for my EOS 1D. No idea how old they are, one is a genuine Canon and the other is unknown.

Re: Cold Battery....

I had something similar happen last week at the Halloween Ball - after being inside the Mill for about half an hour, I went out to shoot the fire dancer. Turned the camera on and........ nothing. No "change battery", absolutely zip - just a dead camera. Like you, I took the battery out, warmed it in in my hands and it eventually started working.

A friend told me he had had several Canons and the same problem. He thought it was due to condensation on the contacts - and I did have a little condensation on the rear screen so perhaps he was right?

Whatever, they continued to work for the rest of the night. The recurring problem I have is when I've had my flash gun on for a protracted period of time and when I come to use the pop-up flash it won't pop. Apparently that's a common problem too - solved by turning the camera off then on, and having a fingernail ready to pop up the flash! It'll usually work after several attempts...
    http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

In my handbook which came with my Canon it mentions cold batteries, it states that they will not work if too cold and suggests taking it out to warm it or carrying a spare to swap over.

I too have the same problem with the pop-up flash you need decent finger nails!

Donald.

Comment

It's a problem wit all batteries, I've had it a number of times with mini-disc and mp3 players when snowboarding etc.

I've read suggestions that you should keep the batteries out of the camera and next to your body i.e. inside your coat until you want to use it.

Comment

i tend to only get battery problems when it is really cold (< 0c). i shoot sports all year round and find that the low batt warning comes on sooner in the winter, but i still only take the one battery. very occasionally i'll take a spare (kept in a trouser pocket to keep it warm) on the off-chance that i'll need it. on rallies, then i'll always have multiple batteries. the 'dead' one is put into the trouser pocket, where the body heat will 'revive' it sufficiently to do another hour or so shooting.

as for battery age, i date when mine were bought - i don't buy canon - so i know how old they are. typically they'll get replaced every 2 years. as soon as a battery starts showing signs of trouble, they get binned.
          Dave
          http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

Having shot film at -40C and digital at -20C I carry spare batteries in inside pockets. Fresh batteries in a left pocket, used batteries that need warming in a right pocket.

Some photographers use hand warmer packs to keep the batteries warm in an outside pocket.
            Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett.

Comment

I was surprised to read this as it hasn't really been that cold. Normally the camera has to be exposed for a fair period to freezing conditions. Maybe it's because your batteries are worn out?

Ian
              Founder/editor
              Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                I was surprised to read this as it hasn't really been that cold. Normally the camera has to be exposed for a fair period to freezing conditions. Maybe it's because your batteries are worn out?

Ian
                i'd go with this 100%
                Dave
                http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian;61261]I was surprised to read this as it hasn't really been that cold. Normally the camera has to be exposed for a fair period to freezing conditions. Maybe it's because your batteries are worn out?

Ian[/QUOTE

Also agree.
                  Steve40.

Comment

Working...
                  X