Windows 7 cannot see AVCHD files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 cannot see AVCHD files

I have only just realised that I have only been downloading JPG files from my new TZ20 and the movie files have been missed.

I can see and run them on the camera but I cannot download and view them. In fact when I put my SD card in, it only shows the JPGS.

HOWEVER, I installed the PHOTOfunSTUDIO 6.1 HD supplied software and hey presto I can see and run these files.

I have always downloaded through Lightroom and would like to continue to do this.

Is there any way that I can introduce a codec or similar to this program to make these files be seen.
    Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Re: Windows 7 cannot see AVCHD files

AVCHD movies are hidden away in a complicated file structure on the memory card. I don't have the details in front of me, but delve down into the folders and you will eventually find them - they will be the really big files, usually named as numbers.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

I can see the files now in the folder on my desk top, but I think I downloaded these through the supplied software. However, I can click on one portion of them and they do play.

Anyway so long as I can play them, I don't really mind. The quality is very good.
      Audrey

Comment

Hi Audrey, here's what you need to do:

1. in the top level of the card you should see a folder called PRIVATE. In that you will see another folder called AVCHD. In turn there is a folder called BDMV, then look for STREAM inside that one. The movie files will be inside 'STREAM'.

AVCHD files are very tightly compressed and only the more powerful PCs with a good level of hardware acceleration can play these movies smoothly, but they can be edited and converted to other formats that are more playable as required.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Thanks very much Ian. I did manage to "See" the files on the card and I did play the video - just a test from around the room.

It is very complicated and much easier through the supplied software, but I did not want to think I had to rely on the software even though I expect I will use it as there are such a lot of options.
          Audrey

Comment

Working...
          X