This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before and After: - show your post-processing prowess

Our forum stalwart, Pat Moore, made an excellent suggestion which I am now making good on. When you snap the photo with your camera, the actual final result may be the final stop on what is sometimes a long journey. This is what 'post-processing' is about.

You may simply need to do some tidying-up, like cropping and a bit of brightness adjustment. Such simple changes can make a big difference. More dramatic changes are also possible, particularly if you use RAW files.

A conversion from colour to black and white is a good example. Here is the image that Pat preferred in the recent salon competition, which had the theme of 'black and white'.

And here is the original RAW file as it appeared in Adobe Lightroom, without any adjustments:

This example involved a fairly severe crop and a straightening of the horizon. I preferred the off-set to the right for a more 'rule of thirds' composition.

With RAW files you can adjust each primary colour channel independently. This is great for correcting colours but also with a mono conversion great for adjusting the blend of greys, which after all are colours in the original file.

That's one example from me - now I'm inviting you to do the same; post an original out-of-the camera file and then the image you finally worked to achieve.

I think Pat may have envisaged this as a contest like the Salon and it may well yet turn into one, but in the meantime let's explore the possibilities.

As usual, comments are very welcome!

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Before and After: - show your post-processing prowess

Here's one example. I've tried on occasion to get the bottom shot at my home ski mountain in Vermont but I've never gotten the desired image. Instead, I took a shot of the moon, and one of the clocktower then used Photoshop Elements to select, resize, and insert the moon in the picture.

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Some of you older members of this forum will remember Ian running competitions on this theme. He put up images and the members were challenged to edit them to improve the finished result. I was fortunate to be one of the winners. Perhaps this could be organised again as an extra competition for members to have a go at. If you are interested in such a competition please LIKE this thread so Ian gets some idea whether it would be worth while.
      Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

Comment

I'm sure we can do this

Ian

Originally posted by Rodbender View Post
        Some of you older members of this forum will remember Ian running competitions on this theme. He put up images and the members were challenged to edit them to improve the finished result. I was fortunate to be one of the winners. Perhaps this could be organised again as an extra competition for members to have a go at. If you are interested in such a competition please LIKE this thread so Ian gets some idea whether it would be worth while.
        Founder/editor

Comment

I personally don't do so much of this kind of editing so it's great to see it being done by someone else - maybe I should do more!

Ian

Originally posted by patmoore View Post
          Here's one example. I've tried on occasion to get the bottom shot at my home ski mountain in Vermont but I've never gotten the desired image. Instead, I took a shot of the moon, and one of the clocktower then used Photoshop Elements to select, resize, and insert the moon in the picture.

Founder/editor

Comment

Here's a simple tweak adding a bit of saturation to the shot. Unfortunately I licensed this shot to Getty Images and and they won't let me know who they sold it too. It's shown up on dozens of websites around the world and I can't determine if I can pursue them. BTW, I've never gotten a dime out of Getty.

Also a bump in saturation. I also used Photoshop's cloning capability to fix the inverted leaf.

GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Here's an example of a tweak for a defective photo. The horses were not in sharp focus so I did a dramatic makeover using an iPhone App called FotoRus.

GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

As a music photographer, welcome to my world!

The first is a private image on Flickr as the review only went up on Friday so can't make them public yet.

As you can see, I had a nightmare to contend with: the lighting was vivid, there was smoke everywhere! I applied my own light haze preset, a custom white balance (I knew the speakers and the bassist's leather jacket are black), dehazed in several areas, upped the contrast, down on the highlights and then went into calibration to adjust the colours

This is the original:

2019-05-05_RPM-4947 by Carol, on Flickr

2019-05-05_Ryders-5 by Carol, on Flickr
                Last edited by Caz; 12-05-19, 12:21 PM. Reason: pictures in wrong order!
                http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Nice Caz!

One of the iPhone apps my wife and I like to use is called Waterlogue. It creates simulated water colors from photos. This is my youngest daughter's cottage in the Cotswolds.

GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Another from the same event:

Before, Henrik is very blue... and after

2019-05-05_RPM-5252 by Carol, on Flickr

2019-05-05_Empyre-3 by Carol, on Flickr
                    http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Couple more. We had a family reunion last summer and wanted a group shot from the Sleeping Porch but the timer woudn't last long enough for me to get up stairs. PhotoShop came to the rescue.

An example of Snapseed's HDR Scape treatment. Can be overdone.

GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

A picture taken at the Zoo of a Grey Gibbon.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                          As a music photographer, welcome to my world!

The first is a private image on Flickr as the review only went up on Friday so can't make them public yet.

As you can see, I had a nightmare to contend with: the lighting was vivid, there was smoke everywhere! I applied my own light haze preset, a custom white balance (I knew the speakers and the bassist's leather jacket are black), dehazed in several areas, upped the contrast, down on the highlights and then went into calibration to adjust the colours

This is the original:

2019-05-05_RPM-4947 by Carol, on Flickr

2019-05-05_Ryders-5 by Carol, on Flickr

It's amazing how much detail and colour that can be recovered in post-processing. This is a nice example of highlight recovery as well - I feel an article about this brewing

Nice one, Caz!

Ian
                          Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Gez View Post
                            A picture taken at the Zoo of a Grey Gibbon.

Gez, thats a brilliant animal portrait extracted from an original that looks very ordinary (no offence intended! ). You saw the opportunity and a judicious crop and tone adjustment made it special.

I'm sure you are very proud of that one!

Ian
                            Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
                            X